Author Topic: Fish Cakes...  (Read 6879 times)

Online roamer_1

Fish Cakes...
« on: January 05, 2018, 03:46:09 am »
Had a wild hair tonight and thought I'd try fish cakes. Started out to be smoked trout, but I forgot to pull it out of the freezer, so I thought maybe canned salmon, but I'm out. So tuna. eh... alright.

So, a can of tuna, drained
a good dollop on a small fork of pickle relish
about three slices off of a quarter of a med yellow onion, small dice.
one egg.
Worry all that together till they love each other.
Add corn meal and worry it till you get just a touch looser than a cookie dough batter - messy in the hands, but doable.
make the patties, and throw em in a cast iron pan preheated and buttered good.

salt and pepper in the pan, both sides, to taste. brown both sides, and pay attention, because you have to add butter in along the way.

Served on buttered toast, open face, with a slice of tomato on top.

It was good. The patties were REALLY good. Stayed together just fine, and were moist and tasty.
But next time, I think I'll do a mayo/siracha sauce on the toast and maybe a bed of lettuce or spinach leaf under the patty.

This was all off the cuff, working out of memory...
Anybody have a better way?

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Fish Cakes...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:50:18 am »
Made a fish cake a couple years ago, but it was too sweet for a dinner.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:57:23 am »
Fish cakes, fish cakes
Roly poly fish cakes
Fish cakes, fish cakes
Eat them up, yum.

Not really, fish is gross.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:57:40 am by RoosGirl »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 04:00:36 am »
Fish cakes, fish cakes
Roly poly fish cakes
Fish cakes, fish cakes
Eat them up, yum.

My father once told me that if it smells like fish, eat it. Because of that I like to have haddock and clams once a month.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 06:06:03 am »

Nah... I eat tons of fish. But mostly smoked or pan fried, and generally trout and salmon, which is native here.
A fair bit of perch, bass and pike, which are native too, but generally preferring trout and salmon.

Just don't make fish cakes much.

Beats the heck outta tunafish sammiches, I'll tell you what.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:17:14 pm »
@roamer_1

I have two recipes for you from my grandmother's The Art of Jewish Cooking book

Fish Balls
2 lbs salmon
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 lb butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup oil for frying

Grind or chop the fish very fine and add the salt and pepper.  Cream the butter and flour and work the mixture into the fish.  Beat until very smooth and add in the cream.  Shape into 1-inch balls.  Heat the oil in the skillet and fry the balls until browned on all sides.  Serve with Hollandaise sauce.  Serves 6.

Fish Cakes
2 cups cooked and flaked codfish
2 cups mashed potatoes
3 Tbsp melted butter
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
Butter or fat for frying

Mix all the ingredients together and taste to correct seasoning.  Shape into 8 cakes and chill for 2 hours.  Fry in the butter or fat until browned on both sides.  Serve with hot or cold tomato sauce.  Serves 4.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »
I've never been a big fan of fish balls. Too hard to find, and it takes too many fish to make a meal.  ****drummer

Now, seriously... living in coastal New England, we have lots to choose from, or rather, we used to, before the Federal government decided to become an adversary to the entire American fishing industry. Now, there's less fresh fish available, and it's far more expensive than it used to be. Cod and sole used to be dirt cheap, but now they're $10 or more a pound. Same with local tuna and swordfish -it's still good and fresh (on Fridays and weekends), but insanely expensive. The cheaper stuff is from China, flash-frozen and full of God-only-knows-what chemicals.

Salmon is still a good choice, though - often only $6 or so a pound. I know that not everyone likes salmon, owing to its stronger flavor, but I have found it to be a terrific meal when made on the grill - washed, patted dry, covered with Old Bay seasoning, butter, and fresh-squeezed lime juice. Keep the skin on too, because it holds in the moisture, but be sure to oil the grill surface first (I prefer coconut oil spray), so that the skin doesn't stick. Done in about 12-15 minutes and delicious. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:54 pm »
Growing up, we ate lots of salmon patties.

Eating out I just love crab cakes. Once while I was still a youngster I broke out in hives after eating at a seafood restaurant. Someone said "It must of been the crab cakes". I had a complex after that and couldn't bring myself to eat another crab cake. It took me years to get over it.

I do love crab cakes.  I still like salmon patties, I just haven't made them in a good while.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:22:05 pm »
Here are a few more varieties.  I figure you can mix and match to your taste.

Fish A La Tartare (supposed to be served "raw", but I bet you could make into patties and fry up)
3 1/2 lbs fish
4 hard-cooked egg yolks
1 tsp mustard
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp capers
1/4 cup Boiled Mayonnaise Dressing (to follow)
1 Tbsp catsup
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp chopped parsley
1 cup strained fish liquid
salt and pepper
4 hard-cooked egg whites, chopped
1 Tbsp pickles, finely chopped

Boil and bone the fish.  Rub the yolks smooth with the mustard and oil, add the rest of the ingredients, the chopped ingredients last.  This is where I think you could chill and then form into patties and fry them.

Boiled Mayonnaise Dressing
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp oil
1/8 cup vinegar
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 cup boiling water
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
cayenne epper

Mix flour, 2 Tbsp oil, vinegar, and lemon juice in a small, non-reactive saucepan.  Add the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly.  Beat the yolks in a heat-proof bowl until light and lemon colored.  Pour in he hot mixture stirring constantly.  Ad sesonings and cool.  When cool, but not cold, ,gradually beat in the remaining cup of oil.

Fish Cakes
1 lb scrod fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 celery rib, peeled and finely chopped (You peel celery??)
1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
cornmeal for dusting
2 Tbsp oil for frying

Place fish in workbowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade.  Process until the fish is completely ground and almost fluffy.  In a small saute pan, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter.  Add the onions and the celery.  Cook over medium high heat until soft but not brown.  In a large mixing bowl use a rubber spatula to combine the cooked onion with the processed fish.  Carfully fold in the parsley, lemon rind, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.  Be careful not to overmix.  Divide the mixture into 4 equal balls.  Shape each into a patty, handling as little as possible.  Lightly dust with cornmeal.  Heat the remaining butter with the oil in a large saute pan or skillet.  Cook the cakes until golden brown and quite firm to the touch about 5 minutes on each side.

Subsitute 1 cup cold mashed potatoes for the breadcrumbs if desired.

Santa Fe Fishcakes:  Add 1 Tbsp chopped, red mild chili pepper.  Replace the parsley with fresh cilantro and the lemon rind with lime rind.

Curry Fishcakes: Saute the onions and celery with 1 to 2 tsp curry powder and proceed as above.

Fishcakes aux Fines Herbes: Add 1 tsp chopped, fresh thyme, 1 tsp chopped chives and 1 tsp chopped rosemary to the basic recipe.

Crab Cakes:
4 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, peeled and finely chopped
1 small, sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 lbs fresh lump crabmeat
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
cornmeal for dusting
2 Tbsp oil

In a small saute pan, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter.  Add the onion, celery and red pepper. Cook over medium high heat until softened but not browned.  Pour in the wine and increase heat to high.  Boil until liquid is reduced by half.  Transfer to a mixing bowl.  Add the crabmeat, breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper.  Gently blend.  Using wet hands, form small balls of the mixture.  Pat down to make cakes 2 to 3 inches in diameter.  Rewet hands as necessary.  Place the cornmeal in a shallow bowl.  Roll each cake in the meal, shaking off any excess.  Melt the remaining 2 Tbls butter with the oil over high heat.  When very hot, add the cakes and quickly sautee until golden brown.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 05:34:05 pm »
Those recipes sure are mouth watering. Do you think I could substitute shrimp on that crab cake recipe?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 06:12:21 pm »
Those recipes sure are mouth watering. Do you think I could substitute shrimp on that crab cake recipe?

I don't see why not.  You would want it to be cooked shrimp I would think.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 06:15:16 pm »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 06:47:49 pm »
I don't see why not.  You would want it to be cooked shrimp I would think.

The crab recipe doesn't call for cooked crab meat, so raw shrimp meat should be fine as well.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 06:51:33 pm »
The crab recipe doesn't call for cooked crab meat, so raw shrimp meat should be fine as well.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe all crab meat sold outside of the shell is cooked.  So calling out for fresh lump crabmeat would be cooked. 

Plus the only cooking that is called for is just a quick browning of the cake in a hot pan.  I don't think that would be adequate to fully cook crab at the center of the cake.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:53:03 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 07:11:36 pm »
I could be wrong about this, but I believe all crab meat sold outside of the shell is cooked.  So calling out for fresh lump crabmeat would be cooked. 

Plus the only cooking that is called for is just a quick browning of the cake in a hot pan.  I don't think that would be adequate to fully cook crab at the center of the cake.

Nice to know. I've never bought crab except in a restaurant. I've always caught my own to cook with.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 10:28:00 pm »

Salmon is still a good choice, though - often only $6 or so a pound. I know that not everyone likes salmon, owing to its stronger flavor, but I have found it to be a terrific meal when made on the grill - washed, patted dry, covered with Old Bay seasoning, butter, and fresh-squeezed lime juice. Keep the skin on too, because it holds in the moisture, but be sure to oil the grill surface first (I prefer coconut oil spray), so that the skin doesn't stick. Done in about 12-15 minutes and delicious.

I love salmon, though we are not quite talking about the same thing. Around here we have Kokanee - A 'landlocked' freshwater sockeye... might get to be a pound or so, big at two, and have a milder, yet still salmon taste. Excellent smoked or pan fried, or any other way you might do up a trout.

If we're talking ocean going salmon steak, mix up a little honey and a stiff mustard, and paint that on him while he's on the grill... Or pan sear and smoke/bake in a honey-mustard glaze... My, my, my...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 10:32:05 pm »
@roamer_1

I have two recipes for you from my grandmother's The Art of Jewish Cooking book

Here are a few more varieties.  I figure you can mix and match to your taste.

Thanks for all the recipes @RoosGirl !

I think I'll try the mashed-potato one with some cooked perch.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:08 pm »

I still like salmon patties, I just haven't made them in a good while.

That's kinda what happened here - I bet I haven't made a fish cake in 15 years... - Well, no that isn't right I had a full-size can of salmon here that needed used up (I have tuna-sized cans of salmon in rotation, so this guy was an oddball)... I turned most of that can into fish cakes. But that's the only time in a very long time.

And I don't know why - I love eating them. I guess it's kinda a 'leftover fish' thing- Ya make fish cakes with cooked fish, and generally speaking there is never any leftover fish to make it with around here.  :shrug:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 03:48:14 am »
I didn't make the shrimp cakes. I got overruled by my daughter. She did buy the shrimp and all. So I did a mini shrimp boil with all our left over shrimp supply.

Please don't tell me gulf shrimp are out of season.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 07:39:05 am »
I didn't make the shrimp cakes. I got overruled by my daughter. She did buy the shrimp and all. So I did a mini shrimp boil with all our left over shrimp supply.

Please don't tell me gulf shrimp are out of season.

LOL! Wouldn't know.
I am not on the gulf, and shrimp are always out of season here. Not kosher.  :shrug:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:43 pm »
Had a wild hair tonight and thought I'd try fish cakes. Started out to be smoked trout, but I forgot to pull it out of the freezer, so I thought maybe canned salmon, but I'm out. So tuna. eh... alright.

So, a can of tuna, drained
a good dollop on a small fork of pickle relish
about three slices off of a quarter of a med yellow onion, small dice.
one egg.
Worry all that together till they love each other.
Add corn meal and worry it till you get just a touch looser than a cookie dough batter - messy in the hands, but doable.
make the patties, and throw em in a cast iron pan preheated and buttered good.

salt and pepper in the pan, both sides, to taste. brown both sides, and pay attention, because you have to add butter in along the way.

Served on buttered toast, open face, with a slice of tomato on top.

It was good. The patties were REALLY good. Stayed together just fine, and were moist and tasty.
But next time, I think I'll do a mayo/siracha sauce on the toast and maybe a bed of lettuce or spinach leaf under the patty.

This was all off the cuff, working out of memory...
Anybody have a better way?

I make this about the same way, but I use scallions (green onions, depending on where you are from) with sea bass or salmon.  I get sick of canned tuna.  Salmon must be in season, so I buy a bunch of the fillets.  Then I cut them up into smaller pieces for the freezer.

Oh, and I use clarified butter (ghee) instead of butter.  Works better for browning, at least for me.
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 02:40:29 pm »
Made a fish cake a couple years ago, but it was too sweet for a dinner.

Oh, that is so pretty, and unlike all the "failures" you see.

Did you C make that?

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »

Eating out I just love crab cakes. Once while I was still a youngster I broke out in hives after eating at a seafood restaurant. Someone said "It must of been the crab cakes". I had a complex after that and couldn't bring myself to eat another crab cake. It took me years to get over it.

I do love crab cakes.  I still like salmon patties, I just haven't made them in a good while.

Yep.  Friday was "fish" day.  Learned to love salmon patties.  Yum!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 02:51:42 pm »

King Crab is always flash frozen immediately,

I worked at the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach, CA, for almost five years in the early 70s.  I love fish and clam chowder.  The Crab Cooker had a red clam chowder that was out of this world with flavor.  Lots of vegies in it, too.

Anyone have a recipe for that?  It was not Manhatten Chowder nor Boston Chowder.  More of a West Coast Chowder, I guess.  It was a "secret" recipe from the Rubian family.  Just too good.  I lived on that chowder because all employees could eat that for free!  Lean years then...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 09:09:11 pm »
I make this about the same way, but I use scallions (green onions, depending on where you are from) with sea bass or salmon.  I get sick of canned tuna.  Salmon must be in season, so I buy a bunch of the fillets.  Then I cut them up into smaller pieces for the freezer.

Oh, and I use clarified butter (ghee) instead of butter.  Works better for browning, at least for me.

@Slip18
Oh, the green onions are a great idea. And yeah, I'd have rather used the smoked trout I started out to do... But wintertime in Montana is a bad time to get too picky. Part of the problem is that my nuke is busted, and I can't quick-thaw  anything right now :(
I am really not good at remembering to pull stuff out of the freezer in the morning so I can cook it at night.  :shrug: