Author Topic: Booted from the Alamo, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas kept treasured library  (Read 4084 times)

Offline corbe

Booted from the Alamo, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas kept treasured library

San Antonio celebrates its 300th anniversary in 2018. The history of the city — and of Texas — comes to life in the artwork, manuscripts and maps of a library that has recently found a new home.

by Alex Arriaga Jan. 1, 2018 12 AM

SAN ANTONIO — When the state fired the Daughters of the Republic of Texas as caretakers of the Alamo in 2015, the women's group fought — and won — the right to keep a piece of the shrine that they considered sacred: an archive collection of 38,000 photographs, artworks, maps and manuscripts prized by Texas historians.

Now, after keeping the archives in storage for a year, the Daughters have settled their library into a new home just as San Antonio prepares to highlight the city's history for its 300th anniversary in 2018. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library — which now lives at the Presidio Gallery in the Bexar County Archives Building downtown — includes everything from a map of the Austin colony hand-drawn by Stephen F. Austin to family documents and architectural blueprints about San Antonio's people and buildings.

“It brings San Antonio back to what it used to be, what it used to look like, how it used to feel, almost what it used to smell like, there’s so much personality,” Barbara Stevens, the organization's president, said. “When you look at the archives, it tells the story of early Texas, which is our mission and goal in life as the Daughters of the Republic of Texas."

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01/01/san-antonio-celebrates-its-300th-anniversary-long-history-told-through/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

This 300 year $hit San Antonio is currently celebrating is far from the truth.  When my Family got here (March 9, 1731) there was nothing but a couple of selfish Priests/Monks enslaving the Indians to harvest their food, raise their livestock and build their temples and a few Soldiers fighting everyone, including the aforementioned men of G_d.  It was my ancestors that brought an even more dysfunctional civilian government to this area. A tradition that has carried on for ALMOST 300 years.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:58:23 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I understand the Daughters weren't doing a great job of maintaining the Alamo, but I shudder to think of what the state will do to the site.  Turn it into a slick, money-making tourist trap, replete with hokey videos on big screens and a gift shop full of made-in-Indonesia gee-gaws. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

At least they didn't turn it over the the city under the watchful eye of Mayor Nimrod.  He probably would want to tear it down as an eyesore and an affront to the Mexicans.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

At least they didn't turn it over the the city under the watchful eye of Mayor Nimrod.  He probably would want to tear it down as an eyesore and an affront to the Mexicans.
We would still have our Alamo near Bracketville, built for the John Wayne movie by that name filmed in 1960.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
We would still have our Alamo near Bracketville, built for the John Wayne movie by that name filmed in 1960.

That's true.  Probably looks a lot more like it did in 1836 than does the real one.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
If the government gets hold of it, all references to Mexico will be changed to EastAsia
Countdown to Resignation

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Why would it be an "affront to Mexicans"?  They slaughtered gringos and won...I'd think they would make it a shrine or something to reflect their victory over the American imperialist lackey dogs.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why would it be an "affront to Mexicans"?  They slaughtered gringos and won...I'd think they would make it a shrine or something to reflect their victory over the American imperialist lackey dogs.

Because the Texians used it as a rallying cry to go forth and beat Santa Ana.

That's true.  Probably looks a lot more like it did in 1836 than does the real one.
I recall as a kid in the early 60s visiting it with the family.

It is still a tourist stop, even 68 years later.

That's something for a replica.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

My understanding is it is closed now.  Saw it a long time ago while still in HS in San Antonio
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline GrouchoTex

I like going to the Alamo when I am in San Antonio, but I also like to visit the other missions in the city when I go there.
There are some really nice ones, and a lot of people do not know about them.
Not too many tourist.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   This 300 year $hit San Antonio is currently celebrating is far from the truth.  When my Family got here (March 9, 1731) there was nothing but a couple of selfish Priests/Monks enslaving the Indians to harvest their food, raise their livestock and build their temples and a few Soldiers fighting everyone, including the aforementioned men of G_d.  It was my ancestors that brought an even more dysfunctional civilian government to this area. A tradition that has carried on for ALMOST 300 years.

That's very cool, @corbe!

My understanding is it is closed now.  Saw it a long time ago while still in HS in San Antonio
I cannot find the information it is no longer open.

I did find a real estate offering for the 11,000 acre ranch it is located on, which includes the sale of Alamo Village.

For $16 million, one could have had a stake in Texas history re-creation.

https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/Hwy-674-Brackettville-Texas-/16569
Available
11000 acres in Kinney County, Texas
Hwy 674, Brackettville, Texas - Kinney County
$16,000,000 11000 Acres
Farms, Ranches
Property ID 16569
Description
DESCRIPTION OF ALAMO VILLAGE RANCH

This exquisite offering of the Alamo Village and the 11,000 acres of the adjoining Shahan Ranch is presented for sale in its entirety as the ?Alamo Village Ranch?. Although presented as one package, the following description addresses the attributes of the village and ranch separately.

THE ALAMO VILLAGE

The Alamo Village consists of two parts: a replica of the ?Alamo? compound, and located 300 yards to the north, The ?Village?.

Defining one of Texas? finest hours, the Alamo Village features the only accurate replica of the 1836 Alamo Mission in the world. Built for John Wayne?s epic movie THE ALAMO, the mission and the town were constructed with a dedication to authentically replicating San Antonio in the early 1800?s.

The original town was constructed with 1.25 million adobe bricks, 30,000 square feet of imported Spanish roofing tile, and a million square feet of concrete flooring. The Village today includes nearly three dozen board-and-batten and adobe buildings such as jails, saloons, general store, bank, hotel, church, stable, blacksmith shop in addition to the Alamo mission-fortress.

Additional buildings added throughout the years allow this active movie set to be utilized as a fort, hacienda, frontier town, deserted Mexican village, modern European villages, among other venues. Alamo Village has a tremendous selection of wagons, surreys, buckboards, stagecoaches and buggies, and the prop rooms are filled with everything from whiskey barrels to a 1920's barber chair.

Texas' most active and versatile movie set is also one of the largest and most complete (no false fronts here) backlots in the world. Over 100 major movies, TV shows, documentaries, commercials and music videos have been filmed at Alamo Village and on the Shahan Ranch.

The Village is an ongoing business which is open to the public 7 days a week. Visitors may stroll through the Alamo compound, plus there are over 18 walk-in buildings to see including the John Wayne Museum, Wagon Room, Jail, Bank, Church, Indian store, Trading post, and Cantina (full service restaurant) where there is cold "root" beer on draught!

In the summer there are four shows daily, kicking off with a music show inside the Cantina followed by a "fun for the whole family" gunfight depicting the Old West. There's something for the movie lover and the movie maker!

Interested buyers should not overlook the tremendous amount of depreciable assets that are generated by the Alamo Village.

View more information on www.alamovillage.com.

Offline RetBobbyMI

I cannot find the information it is no longer open.

I did find a real estate offering for the 11,000 acre ranch it is located on, which includes the sale of Alamo Village.

For $16 million, one could have had a stake in Texas history re-creation.

https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/Hwy-674-Brackettville-Texas-/16569

If i only had a spare $16 mill.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If i only had a spare $16 mill.

I'd go in halfsies with you....if I had a spare $8mil.

Offline RetBobbyMI

I'd go in halfsies with you....if I had a spare $8mil.
After looking at land and property in Texas for the better part of a year, I’ve concluded that moving from an income tax state like Michigan to Texas really won’t save my anything. With 2% higher sLes taxes and nearly double the property taxes, any savings from no income tax would instantly be eaten up. Since most income is now social security and military retirement, I get exemptions from Michigan taxes.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
After looking at land and property in Texas for the better part of a year, I’ve concluded that moving from an income tax state like Michigan to Texas really won’t save my anything. With 2% higher sLes taxes and nearly double the property taxes, any savings from no income tax would instantly be eaten up. Since most income is now social security and military retirement, I get exemptions from Michigan taxes.

Probably true in your situation.  However, it's 41 here now, working up to mid 50's today and bright sunshine.  Already working on the garden for spring. 

Finally found confirmation that it is indeed closed for good.  The owner died in 2010 and it could not be kept up.

Also found a somewhat cheezy youtube video that shows a lot of what the site looks like in disrepair.

It easily shows the set used by the movie, which I find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ3G81blvWU

Offline RetBobbyMI

Probably true in your situation.  However, it's 41 here now, working up to mid 50's today and bright sunshine.  Already working on the garden for spring.
In my 4th year wintering in San Antonio.  Have family here and now past the winter cold spell, can now get out and enjoy.  Then go back in April.  Fishing Medina Lake should start to pick up now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:44:41 am by RetBobbyMI »

In my 4th year wintering in San Antonio.  With family hear and now past the winter cold spell, can now get out and enjoy.  Then go back in April.  Fishing Medina Lake should start to pick up now.
that's the way to do it.

My first trip to Michigan was three years ago in June.  Beautiful state

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
In my 4th year wintering in San Antonio.  Have family here and now past the winter cold spell, can now get out and enjoy.  Then go back in April.  Fishing Medina Lake should start to pick up now.

Smart man!  I was picturing you up in MI in waist deep snow. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

Smart man!  I was picturing you up in MI in waist deep snow.
Been there. That’s why after I retired, I started snowbirding. The snowblower is still in the garage for some unforeseen need between April and October. Besides I have to come back to make court required visits for Guardianship of parents.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:07:12 am by RetBobbyMI »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Been there. That’s why after I retired, I started snowbirding. The snowblower is still in the garage for some unforeseen need between April and October. Besides I have to come back to make court required visits for Guardianship of parents.

As in, grandparents?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
At least in Michigan you might have a chance to see a wolverine or a white man!  :silly: