Author Topic: Republican wins drawing to decide control of Virginia statehouse  (Read 3310 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Republicans will fully control Virginia’s House of Delegates after an incumbent GOP member won a drawing Thursday to decide a tied election — and potentially the fate of Medicaid expansion in the state.

The state elections board chairman pulled a film canister out of a ceramic bowl containing the name of Republican David Yancey, giving him the victory over Democrat Shelly Simonds. Each received 11,608 votes in the race for a Newport News-based seat in the Virginia legislature’s lower chamber.

Read more at: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/04/xxxx-wins-drawing-to-decide-control-of-virginia-statehouse-324024
The Republic is lost.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Republican wins Virginia seat that ended in a tie
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:14:14 pm »
Republican wins Virginia seat that ended in a tie
The Hill, Jan 4, 2018, Reid Wilson

Republican David Yancey will keep his seat in the Virginia House of Delegates after a state official pulled his name out of a bowl Thursday, deciding a contest that ended in a tie in November.

Yancey and Democrat Shelly Simonds each received 11,608 votes in their Newport News-based district. Initial results showed Yancey leading by just ten votes. A recount gave Simonds a one-vote edge. But Republicans challenged a single ballot, resulting in a tie.

Yancey would be the 51st Republican in the 100-member House of Delegates ...

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/367405-republican-wins-virginia-seat-that-ended-in-a-tie

Oceander

Re: Republican wins Virginia seat that ended in a tie
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 06:14:52 pm »
:thumbsup:

Thank God for blind luck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Republican wins drawing to decide control of Virginia statehouse
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 06:18:47 pm »
Thank God for small favors!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:41:55 pm »
Paper covers rock......
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Republican wins Virginia seat that ended in a tie
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:45:53 am »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline corbe

Republicans Control Virginia House After GOP Candidate Destroys Democrat in Tie-Breaker

BY:  Washington Free Beacon Staff
January 4, 2018 11:49 am

Republican David Yancey won the tie-breaker for Virginia's 94th House of Delegates district when state officials picked his name out of a bowl.

The loser, Democratic candidate Shelly Simonds, was sitting in the front row with her daughter.

The decisive one-vote victory allows the Republicans to maintain control of the Virginia House of Delegates after Democrats made major pick-ups in November's elections, cutting the GOP's 66-34 advantage to 50-49. If Yancey's victory stands, it will be 51-49.

<..snip..>

http://freebeacon.com/politics/republicans-control-virginia-house-gop-candidate-destroys-democrat-tie-breaker/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Didn't see this posted @Mods, please delete if Duplicate.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Winning an election by 10 points or more is destroying your opponent.  Getting your name plucked out of a bowl is some office pool bs.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

Virginia state law required the winner be determined "by lot," a random process like picking a name out of a hat or flipping a coin.

LOL. I'm surprised shooting a game of pool isn't listed. Virginia is a Banana Republic. Pulling a number from a piss jar? What a bunch of slack jawed rubes.

Offline corbe

Somehow 'slack jawed rubes' sounds a little better than the 'gap toothed hicks' slander used in the Moore Threads but if I didn't know better I'd think this place was inhabited by a bunch of Yankee sympathizers.

Offline Frank Cannon

Somehow 'slack jawed rubes' sounds a little better than the 'gap toothed hicks' slander used in the Moore Threads but if I didn't know better I'd think this place was inhabited by a bunch of Yankee sympathizers.

Sympathizers? I'm a full out party member pal.

Offline edpc

LOL. I'm surprised shooting a game of pool isn't listed.

Or redneck horseshoes.........

Offline corbe

We will WIN the next one and YOU will be locked UP for your subversive posts!

Offline RoosGirl

Wow, crushed by random drawing.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

Wow, crushed by random drawing.   *****rollingeyes*****

Upside? They filled the drawing bowl with moonshine after the "election" and had a chugging contest. Last to throw up won a raccoon roadkill dinner.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Republicans Control Virginia House After GOP Candidate Destroys Democrat in Tie-Breaker

BY:  Washington Free Beacon Staff
January 4, 2018 11:49 am

Republican David Yancey won the tie-breaker for Virginia's 94th House of Delegates district when state officials picked his name out of a bowl.

@corbe

Kinda makes you wonder if the editorial staff at the Free Beacon knows what the definition of "destroys" is,doesn't it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RoosGirl

Upside? They filled the drawing bowl with moonshine after the "election" and had a chugging contest. Last to throw up won a raccoon roadkill dinner.

Beats the heck out of armadillo.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 04:25:35 am »
Threads merged.
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 04:28:55 am »
@corbe

Kinda makes you wonder if the editorial staff at the Free Beacon knows what the definition of "destroys" is,doesn't it?

I think they were trying to outsnark the PROs here @sneakypete

Offline Frank Cannon

We will WIN the next one and YOU will be locked UP for your subversive posts!

I see how you guys drive in snow with a dusting. You'll all kill yourselves on the highway the moment you cross the Mason Dixon in winter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I see how you guys drive in snow with a dusting. You'll all kill yourselves on the highway the moment you cross the Mason Dixon in winter.

You think we will be coming up there?  Ha!  We will be following the Edwin Edwards plan. 

In case you missed it, that's where we close all the valves and let you freeze in the dark.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

You think we will be coming up there?  Ha!  We will be following the Edwin Edwards plan. 

In case you missed it, that's where we close all the valves and let you freeze in the dark.

I don't know why, but an evil laugh just escaped from me.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Right. I live in 3 Mile Island and Berwick territory....

Offline edpc

They can just huddle up around Centralia.