Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159436 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #1000 on: September 07, 2018, 09:17:57 pm »
Of all the Burt Reynold movies, Sharky's Machine sticks out.

! No longer available

This is why Sharky's Machine stuck out for me....

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1001 on: September 08, 2018, 01:47:37 am »
I couldn't find much on ESPN's Reel Classics which Burt Reynolds hosted...not everything is negative about ESPN, it's really those who pop off are whom we hear about, I'm not defending them, I just won't totally shut them down.

Reel Classics had a sports movie classic about every Sunday night, Hoosiers of course, but more or less, all kinds of movies.

Here is a nice tribute.

Burt Reynolds will always be 'Buddy' at Florida State
David Whitley

A couple of old Florida State tailbacks had their monthly phone call recenty. Naturally, the conversation turned to football.

“He was excited about Willie Taggart,” Lee Corso said. “He thought he was going to do a good job, and he was going to try to get up there for a game or two this season. But his back was bothering him so much, he couldn’t get around.”

When Corso hung up the phone that day, he never thought it would be the last time he’d speak to Buddy Reynolds.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/audience/david-whitley/os-ae-burt-reynolds-corso-david-whitley-0907-story.html

I always liked 'the Longest Yard', probably more movies than I can think of.  Eddie Albert was in that too. A lot of '70s/'80s movie classics, not too easy to find on tv acctually.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1002 on: September 08, 2018, 11:45:50 am »
Bill Daily dies at 91

Daily's three most regular roles were as Roger Healey on I Dream of Jeannie, pilot Howard Borden on The Bob Newhart Show and a recurring panelist on the game show Match Game. His attempts at starring in a sitcom of his own were unsuccessful.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1003 on: September 08, 2018, 12:16:57 pm »
Daily was fun as Howard on the Bob Newhart Show.  I guess Newhart and Peter Bonerz (Jerry) are the only ones left from that show? 

Too bad that Daily never made it as star of his own show, but he was good as a "second banana."

Rest in peace, Mr. Daily and thanks for the laughs.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1004 on: September 08, 2018, 12:58:32 pm »
Bill Daily dies at 91

Daily's three most regular roles were as Roger Healey on I Dream of Jeannie, pilot Howard Borden on The Bob Newhart Show and a recurring panelist on the game show Match Game. His attempts at starring in a sitcom of his own were unsuccessful.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

He lived to be 91,had 3 long-term marriages,one that ended with the death of his wife,2 children,and despite being in show biz,in all those years there was not even ONE whiff of scandal about him or anyone with anything bad to say about him.

Life just doesn't get any better than that,and rarely gets that good.

Good on you,Bill!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1005 on: September 08, 2018, 03:43:13 pm »
Bill Daily dies at 91

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

RIP. His timing, cadence and expressions were hilarious.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1006 on: September 08, 2018, 04:47:03 pm »
I always liked 'the Longest Yard', probably more movies than I can think of.  Eddie Albert was in that too.

Don't forget Bernadette Peters.  Love the Big Hair.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1007 on: September 08, 2018, 04:49:21 pm »
Daily was fun as Howard on the Bob Newhart Show.  I guess Newhart and Peter Bonerz (Jerry) are the only ones left from that show? 

Too bad that Daily never made it as star of his own show, but he was good as a "second banana."

Rest in peace, Mr. Daily and thanks for the laughs.

Sometimes the 'second banana' is the best thing about a show, and Daily was incredibly good at that.

The first Newhart show was filled with hilarious and memorable characters, and Howard was certainly one of them.

RIP, Bill.  You did make us laugh.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1008 on: September 08, 2018, 04:56:42 pm »
Sometimes the 'second banana' is the best thing about a show, and Daily was incredibly good at that.

The first Newhart show was filled with hilarious and memorable characters, and Howard was certainly one of them.

RIP, Bill.  You did make us laugh.
@musiclady

! No longer available

! No longer available

RIP Howard

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1009 on: September 08, 2018, 05:35:28 pm »
Fascinating interview, @EasyAce .  THANKS!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1010 on: September 08, 2018, 08:11:18 pm »
Bill Daily, actor from “I Dream of Jeannie” and “The Bob Newhart Show” dead at 91

https://usat.ly/2wYYQeS

RIP Major Healy and Howard Borden
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1011 on: September 14, 2018, 04:59:50 pm »
Dave Dave, whose father set him on fire in 1983, dies at 42

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Dave Dave, a respected Las Vegas artist who was badly scarred as a boy when his father tried to burn him to death in Southern California, has died. He was 42.

Dave, who was born David Rothenberg, died on July 15 at Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas, Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg said Wednesday.

Dave was 6 years old when his father, Charles Rothenberg, gave him a sleeping pill, doused his bed with kerosene and lit it in a Buena Park motel room near Disneyland during a bitter custody fight. The father fled.

The boy underwent numerous skin grafts and was left disfigured but refused to define himself as a victim....

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Dave-Dave-father-set-on-fire-michael-jackson-dies-13159696.php#photo-16021692

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1012 on: September 14, 2018, 07:31:11 pm »
Dave Dave, whose father set him on fire in 1983, dies at 42

Charles Rothenberg spent less than seven years of a 13-year sentence in prison for attempted murder.

And in MY NSHO,that sentence was a crime almost as serious as setting his son on fire. He should have been executed immediately after the sentence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1013 on: September 14, 2018, 08:23:32 pm »
And in MY NSHO,that sentence was a crime almost as serious as setting his son on fire. He should have been executed immediately after the sentence.

...by being set on fire, like a Vietnamese monk.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1014 on: September 15, 2018, 01:32:08 am »
...by being set on fire, like a Vietnamese monk.

@Cyber Liberty

Poetic Justice works for me.

Offline verga

« Reply #1015 on: September 19, 2018, 12:54:14 pm »
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) mourns the loss of William B. Ruger, Jr., former Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Ruger. Mr. Ruger, who was the second CEO of the Company and the son of the Company's founder, passed away this past weekend.

Some of the finest affordable firearms ever made.
RIP Bill
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #1016 on: September 19, 2018, 01:50:51 pm »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:53:37 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1017 on: September 19, 2018, 06:17:18 pm »
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) mourns the loss of William B. Ruger, Jr., former Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Ruger. Mr. Ruger, who was the second CEO of the Company and the son of the Company's founder, passed away this past weekend.

Some of the finest affordable firearms ever made.
RIP Bill

Yep. I have 2 of these.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1018 on: September 23, 2018, 06:52:12 pm »
RIP Lee Stange, a starter/reliever on the 1967 "Impossible Dream" Red Sox . . .

Former Red Sox pitcher Stange dies

@Machiavelli

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1019 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:36 pm »
RIP Lee Stange, a starter/reliever on the 1967 "Impossible Dream" Red Sox . . .

Former Red Sox pitcher Stange dies

@Machiavelli

@EasyAce I remember him.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1020 on: September 23, 2018, 08:29:35 pm »
Rocker Charles Hodgkins of Charles and Dave passed away. I think I remember their song "Cockney Girls".

https://startsat60.com/health/big-issues/cancer/chas-and-dave-chas-hodges-cause-of-death

"London Girl"

! No longer available

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1021 on: September 28, 2018, 03:34:06 am »
Anita Madden, Kentucky Derby partier, 85
http://amp.kentucky.com/news/local/article219155985.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1022 on: September 28, 2018, 11:01:21 pm »
Marty Balin, co-founder of Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship, dies at 76

Balin, a tenor vocalist and rhythm guitarist who helped form Jefferson Airplane in 1965, was a member of the San Francisco-based rock group until 1970, when increasing disillusionment with the decline of the 1960s ethos (such as the death of Janis Joplin and the disastrous Altamont Free Concert, where Balin was trampled by Hells Angels) and increasing cocaine usage by people around him prompted him to walk away.

He was convinced to return to a reformed version of the group, Jefferson Starship, in 1974, for which he wrote and performed several hits, including the top-5 hit "Miracles." He left the group again in 1978 and embarked on a briefly successful solo career.

Balin occasionally reunited with his Jefferson Airplane/Starship bandmates for periods over the years until 2016, when a botched open-heart surgery left him without a thumb and part of his tongue. He died September 27.

Obituary from Rolling Stone

Wikipedia

Balin's biggest solo hit, "Hearts:"
! No longer available
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1023 on: September 28, 2018, 11:55:44 pm »
I still think this is the most beautiful song Marty Balin ever wrote and sang . . .

! No longer available

RIP

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1024 on: September 29, 2018, 12:23:38 am »
... when a botched open-heart surgery left him without a thumb and part of his tongue. ...

Wikipedia

I was wondering, "HTH does that happen?" but according to the Wikipedia link it wasn't the surgery itself that was the cause, but rather neglect and inadequate care (allegedly) in the hospital after the surgery, that was the cause. 
Let it burn.