Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159437 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #725 on: June 16, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »
One of my favorite scenes.  Godspeed, Mr. Murphy.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #726 on: June 17, 2018, 08:15:40 pm »
Ed Roebuck, pitcher on the Brooklyn Dodgers 1955 championship team, dies at 86

Ed Roebuck, who pitched for the only Brooklyn Dodgers team to win a World Series championship and the first Dodgers team in Los Angeles, died Thursday. He was 86...

Roebuck made his major league debut for the Dodgers in 1955, when their lineup included Hall of Famers Roy Campanella, Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider. Roebuck worked out of the bullpen, pitching in more games than two relievers who would become much better known: Sandy Koufax and Tom Lasorda.

That Brooklyn team won the World Series. Roebuck and the rest of the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles after the 1957 season. He played for the Dodgers through 1963 and in the major leagues through 1966, twice coming back from shoulder injuries long before arthroscopic surgery had been invented...

More

Wikipedia

Career stats

@EasyAce

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #727 on: June 17, 2018, 08:17:28 pm »
I saw Matt Guitar Murphy play in Sloppy Joes in Key West. I remember it was hotter 'n 10 Hells in that place.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #728 on: June 17, 2018, 08:25:45 pm »
Those were fun movies.  And such a great assortment of musical talent. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Murphy.

Plus the location of the movie..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #729 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:55 pm »

More

Wikipedia

Career stats

@EasyAce
@Machiavelli

Ed Roebuck was also a member of the ill-fated 1964 Phillies; he had his last truly good season on that team, with 12 saves and a 2.30 earned run average. His best gig that year was probably the five-inning stint he pitched out of the pen in a sixteen-inning game the Phillies went on to lose to the Dodgers, 4-3, when Jack Baldschun, the Phillies' other top reliever that year, pitched two and two thirds shutout innings afterward until he loaded the bases on a wild pitch, came out for Morrie Steevens, and Ron Fairly stole home to win it and charge Baldschun with the hard-luck loss. (It was another steal of home, of course---Cincinnati rookie Chico Ruiz, catching Philadelphia pitcher Art Mahaffey, who had the best pickoff move in the league at the time, completely by surprise when he broke for home with Frank Robinson at the plate. The startled Mahaffey threw home high and Ruiz made it safe. It started the infamous losing streak, abetted when a furious Gene Mauch apparently blamed Mahaffey's "cracking under pressure" for the theft---an accusation Mahaffey's teammates reject to this day---and refused to let Mahaffey make his next start.)

Roebuck roomed with Sandy Koufax on the Dodgers, at a time when Koufax wasn't yet Koufax, and when Koufax one day in 1960 thought aloud about leaving baseball, Roebuck replied, "Sandy, if you do, would you leave me your left arm?" Roebuck himself was coming back from arm trouble (it cost him a spot on the Dodgers' 1959 World Series winner) when he was put in the charge of a scout named Ken Meyers, who showed him how to work around his shoulder issues without damaging the shoulder any further. It was Meyers---with Roebuck, catcher Norm Sherry, and outfielder Wally Moon along for the ride---who prompted Koufax in a pizza bar to wind up, throw to a spot Meyers burned in the wall with a cigar, and there was where Meyers spotted the flaw that kept Koufax back: Koufax pulled so far back winding up and kicking to throw that he obstructed half his vision to the plate. Meyers got Koufax to straighten up more in his windup and Sherry translated it as "Sandy, you don't have to throw so hard." The next day, pitching in a B-game in spring training, Koufax wiggled out of a first-inning jam, kept throwing with the straighter windup and easier delivery (Sherry at the mound: "Sandy, I don't know if you realise it, but your ball got to the plate faster when you weren't trying to throw it that hard"), threw a seven-inning no-hitter, and began to become Koufax.

"Goes to show you how hard baseball is," Roebuck said. "Casey Stengel once said, 'Forget that other fella. [Walter Johnson.] Forget Waddell. The Jewish kid is the best of any of them."

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:38:51 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #730 on: June 17, 2018, 11:18:35 pm »
@Machiavelli

Ed Roebuck was also a member of the ill-fated 1964 Phillies; he had his last truly good season on that team, with 12 saves and a 2.30 earned run average. His best gig that year was probably the five-inning stint he pitched out of the pen in a sixteen-inning game the Phillies went on to lose to the Dodgers, 4-3, when Jack Baldschun, the Phillies' other top reliever that year, pitched two and two thirds shutout innings afterward until he loaded the bases on a wild pitch, came out for Morrie Steevens, and Ron Fairly stole home to win it and charge Baldschun with the hard-luck loss. (It was another steal of home, of course---Cincinnati rookie Chico Ruiz, catching Philadelphia pitcher Art Mahaffey, who had the best pickoff move in the league at the time, completely by surprise when he broke for home with Frank Robinson at the plate. The startled Mahaffey threw home high and Ruiz made it safe. It started the infamous losing streak, abetted when a furious Gene Mauch apparently blamed Mahaffey's "cracking under pressure" for the theft---an accusation Mahaffey's teammates reject to this day---and refused to let Mahaffey make his next start.)

Gene Mauch, who believed you didn't win because you didn't try hard enough.

Some scribes said he had the best mind in baseball. BTW, how many pennants did he win?

I remember when he took over the Angels. He said that he expected 110% at all times. Right, Gene.

Roebuck roomed with Sandy Koufax on the Dodgers, at a time when Koufax wasn't yet Koufax, and when Koufax one day in 1960 thought aloud about leaving baseball, Roebuck replied, "Sandy, if you do, would you leave me your left arm?" Roebuck himself was coming back from arm trouble (it cost him a spot on the Dodgers' 1959 World Series winner) when he was put in the charge of a scout named Ken Meyers, who showed him how to work around his shoulder issues without damaging the shoulder any further. It was Meyers---with Roebuck, catcher Norm Sherry, and outfielder Wally Moon along for the ride---who prompted Koufax in a pizza bar to wind up, throw to a spot Meyers burned in the wall with a cigar, and there was where Meyers spotted the flaw that kept Koufax back: Koufax pulled so far back winding up and kicking to throw that he obstructed half his vision to the plate. Meyers got Koufax to straighten up more in his windup and Sherry translated it as "Sandy, you don't have to throw so hard." The next day, pitching in a B-game in spring training, Koufax wiggled out of a first-inning jam, kept throwing with the straighter windup and easier delivery (Sherry at the mound: "Sandy, I don't know if you realise it, but your ball got to the plate faster when you weren't trying to throw it that hard"), threw a seven-inning no-hitter, and began to become Koufax.

"Goes to show you how hard baseball is," Roebuck said. "Casey Stengel once said, 'Forget that other fella. [Walter Johnson.] Forget Waddell. The Jewish kid is the best of any of them."

Some folks have said that the Kenny Myers / Norm Sherry incident was totally apocraphyl - it never happened. I trust you above them, @EasyAce.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #731 on: June 18, 2018, 12:13:09 am »
Gene Mauch, who believed you didn't win because you didn't try hard enough.

Some scribes said he had the best mind in baseball. BTW, how many pennants did he win?

I remember when he took over the Angels. He said that he expected 110% at all times. Right, Gene.
Mauch was one of the sharpest tacticians in the game. But he was also short-sighted enough not to be able to see the full game picture in front of him as often as not. When Chico Ruiz stole home and Mauch blamed Mahaffey, he forgot that the Ruiz steal was the only run in the entire game. He also had a bullpen he inexplicably didn't trust despite men like Jack Baldschun and Ed Roebuck in it. That pennant collapse soiled that team and Mauch; they never again competed for a pennant, they made trades politely described as "insane," tried to convert too many players to roles for which they weren't suited, and Mauch tended in those years to treat injuries as personal affronts to himself.

To his credit, Mauch learned a few things from the Phillies experience. And when Donnie Moore got hit for the game-tying homer with the Angels a strike away from the Series, Mauch never once blamed Moore. He said on several occasions that Moore threw the absolute right pitch, a forkball tailing away from the plate, and Dave Henderson was fortunate to get his bat on it enough to drive it, since the previous pitch was the same pitch a fraction closer to the low outside corner and got foul-ticked. I never forgot a photograph of Mauch trying to console Moore after the Angels lost that game in extra innings. The Angels didn't recover from that loss and ended up losing the ALCS, but this time nobody blamed Mauch for anything except maybe lifting Mike Witt in the ninth when Witt still looked like he had something left in the tank.

Some folks have said that the Kenny Myers / Norm Sherry incident was totally apocraphyl - it never happened. I trust you above them, @EasyAce.
Those folks are wrong. It actually did happen. In fact, it happened a few days after Koufax, trying to figure out once and for all why he couldn't always pitch equal to his ability, accepted a challenge from Wally Moon, who claimed he could predict Koufax's pitches almost exactly. Koufax went out to a practise mound and threw twelve pitches or so. Moon called ten of them correctly. They figured out Koufax held his glove at a different spot against his upper body when maneuvering inside the glove to throw a fastball or a curve ball, and got him to fix that hitch fast. Then came the pizzeria experiment with Ken Meyers. Jane Leavy, Koufax's best biographer, told the story, which wasn't exactly a secret for all those years. Koufax went forward out of spring training in 1961 to smash the National League's single-season strikeout record (Christy Mathewson held it for decades until then), and that proved only the new beginning . . .
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:15:10 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #732 on: June 19, 2018, 05:55:46 pm »
Umpire Dutch Rennert Has Died, But His Strikeout Call Is Probably Still Echoing

He was 88. And you almost didn't even have to be in the ballpark to know it was Rennert behind the plate. His strike call could be heard on the parkways behind the ballparks. Though it was more fun to be in the park when he worked the plate; he was hands down the most theatrical ump this side of Ron Luciano. He'd holler "strike!" then turn and drop to a knee like he was a cop about to shoot a perp and thrust his arm out pointing a finger while hollering the number of the strike. Here's one example, from the 1989 World Series . . .

! No longer available

RIP.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #733 on: June 19, 2018, 06:11:32 pm »

He was 88. And you almost didn't even have to be in the ballpark to know it was Rennert behind the plate. His strike call could be heard on the parkways behind the ballparks. Though it was more fun to be in the park when he worked the plate; he was hands down the most theatrical ump this side of Ron Luciano. He'd holler "strike!" then turn and drop to a knee like he was a cop about to shoot a perp and thrust his arm out pointing a finger while hollering the number of the strike. Here's one example, from the 1989 World Series 

RIP.

Heh heh, he had nothing on "Enrico Pallazzo".....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #734 on: June 20, 2018, 01:35:27 am »

He was 88. And you almost didn't even have to be in the ballpark to know it was Rennert behind the plate. His strike call could be heard on the parkways behind the ballparks. Though it was more fun to be in the park when he worked the plate; he was hands down the most theatrical ump this side of Ron Luciano. He'd holler "strike!" then turn and drop to a knee like he was a cop about to shoot a perp and thrust his arm out pointing a finger while hollering the number of the strike. Here's one example, from the 1989 World Series . . .

RIP.

I remember that guy. Loved that guy. If you're gonna do it, do it with style.
The Republic is lost.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #735 on: June 20, 2018, 02:17:22 am »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #736 on: June 20, 2018, 03:19:24 am »
Was he in the same class as Ron "the umpire strikes back"  Luciano?
I don't know if he was quite as witty as Luciano, but he was just as colourful on the field.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #737 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:21 am »

@EasyAce
And I saw him pitch at the Coliseum and Dodger Stadium

(for a time, my idol was a scrappy 2nd baseman named Charlie Neal

"n 1959 Neal had 177 hits with 19 home runs and 17 stolen bases, led the league in sacrifice hits and triples, won a Gold Glove at second base, played in the All-Star Game and earned a championship ring, hitting .370 in the six-game World Series victory over the Chicago White Sox.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #738 on: June 20, 2018, 06:01:40 am »
And I saw him pitch at the Coliseum and Dodger Stadium

(for a time, my idol was a scrappy 2nd baseman named Charlie Neal

"n 1959 Neal had 177 hits with 19 home runs and 17 stolen bases, led the league in sacrifice hits and triples, won a Gold Glove at second base, played in the All-Star Game and earned a championship ring, hitting .370 in the six-game World Series victory over the Chicago White Sox.
@truth_seeker
Have I got a Charlie Neal story for you . . .

It happened when Neal was an Original Met, in 1962, in a game against the Cubs at the Polo Grounds. (This was the same game during which Lou Brock shocked the house, including his teammates, by becoming only the third man ever to hit a home run to the dead straightaway bleachers in that park, on the right side of the clubhouse/office building that bisected the bleachers . . . 465 feet from the plate; the previous two were Luke Easter in a Negro Leagues game and Joe Adcock for the Braves.)

Neal was on deck when Marvelous Marv Throneberry hit one to the rear of the park, gunned it for all he was worth, and looked like he pulled into third standing up with a triple. Then Ernie Banks at first base called for the ball, the big meanie. ;) He got the ball, stepped on first, and the first base ump called Throneberry out. Mets manager Casey Stengel barreled out of the dugout intent on knocking the ump into the middle of the next week when first base coach Cookie Lavagetto stopped him, saying, "Forget it, Case---he didn't touch second, either."

Throneberry returned to the dugout exasperated and Neal stepped up to the plate. He ripped one off the facade of the left field upper deck for a home run. Neal wasn't three steps up the first base line when Stengel hopped out of the dugout and halted him. Then, Stengel pointed to first base and stomped his foot. Then Neal ran to first and, as he rounded it, he glanced back. Stengel pointed to second and stomped his foot. The ritual repeated until Neal crossed the plate safe and sound.

The Polo Grounds audience went nutshit with delight.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:02:57 am by EasyAce »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #739 on: June 20, 2018, 03:21:03 pm »
Professional wrestler and former NFL player Big Van Vader dies at 55

Vader, real name Leon Allen White, was an offensive lineman for the Los Angeles Rams, appearing in Super Bowl XIV during his only season. He was forced to retire after a knee injury. Six years after that, the 6-foot-4 White entered professional wrestling. His U.S. heyday was in the 1990s as a member of WCW, a transitional period in pro wrestling's history. After that, he became a huge name in Japanese professional wrestling, both figuratively in fan following and in size: he was billed at times as being as heavy as 456 pounds.

White had been diagnosed with congestive heart failure in 2016, stemming from his obesity and years of alcohol abuse, and was given the accurate diagnosis of having two years left to live. He suffered from numerous maladies in his last years of life, including a 33-day coma from an infected surgical wound and a bout with pneumonia.

Obituary from ProWrestlingSheet.com

Wikipedia

Wrestling stats
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #740 on: June 20, 2018, 03:46:37 pm »
Professional wrestler and former NFL player Big Van Vader dies at 55

Vader, real name Leon Allen White, was an offensive lineman for the Los Angeles Rams, appearing in Super Bowl XIV during his only season. He was forced to retire after a knee injury. Six years after that, the 6-foot-4 White entered professional wrestling. His U.S. heyday was in the 1990s as a member of WCW, a transitional period in pro wrestling's history. After that, he became a huge name in Japanese professional wrestling, both figuratively in fan following and in size: he was billed at times as being as heavy as 456 pounds.

White had been diagnosed with congestive heart failure in 2016, stemming from his obesity and years of alcohol abuse, and was given the accurate diagnosis of having two years left to live. He suffered from numerous maladies in his last years of life, including a 33-day coma from an infected surgical wound and a bout with pneumonia.

When you are old,fat,and have a serious problem,it always leads to other serious problems. By the time most people seem to realize this,it is too late for them to change their lives. The die has already been cast.

BTW,"knowing" something on an intellectual level is NOT the same thing as understand it even applies to YOU.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #741 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:11 pm »
Surprised he made it as long as he did. Most guys of his lifestyle and habits are gone by 50.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #742 on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:12 pm »
Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language, dead at 46
7:56 AM EDT.  CBS/AP

My phone isn't letting me copy and paste, so just headline for now.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #743 on: June 21, 2018, 03:05:40 pm »
Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language, dead at 46
7:56 AM EDT.  CBS/AP

My phone isn't letting me copy and paste, so just headline for now.
Got ya covered.

Born at the San Francisco Zoo in 1971, Koko (full name Hanabiko) was raised throughout her life by her handler, Francine Patterson. She was one of two gorillas Patterson trained in the use of sign language; the other, Michael, died in 2000. Of the two, Koko would prove to be the more fluent of the two, and Patterson claimed a level of cognition that could process up to 2,000 hand signals and express complex levels of thinking.

A few scientists expressed skepticism that Koko was showing advanced intelligence, instead accusing Patterson of trickery; these scientists managed to get several papers published in 1978. Nonetheless, the general public recognized Koko's signings and Patterson's interpretations as legitimate. Other apes, such as Kanzi the bonobo, have been able to communicate with humans, with Kanzi having learned some sign language from Koko.

Koko died in her sleep at age 46 in Woodside, California. No cause of death was stated.

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #744 on: June 21, 2018, 03:36:02 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #745 on: June 21, 2018, 04:16:04 pm »
Got ya covered.

Born at the San Francisco Zoo in 1971, Koko (full name Hanabiko) was raised throughout her life by her handler, Francine Patterson. She was one of two gorillas Patterson trained in the use of sign language; the other, Michael, died in 2000. Of the two, Koko would prove to be the more fluent of the two, and Patterson claimed a level of cognition that could process up to 2,000 hand signals and express complex levels of thinking.

A few scientists expressed skepticism that Koko was showing advanced intelligence, instead accusing Patterson of trickery; these scientists managed to get several papers published in 1978. Nonetheless, the general public recognized Koko's signings and Patterson's interpretations as legitimate. Other apes, such as Kanzi the bonobo, have been able to communicate with humans, with Kanzi having learned some sign language from Koko.

Koko died in her sleep at age 46 in Woodside, California. No cause of death was stated.

Wikipedia

This makes me sad........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #746 on: June 21, 2018, 10:26:40 pm »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:28:04 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #747 on: June 21, 2018, 11:03:54 pm »
Charles Krauthammer, conservative commentator and Pulitzer Prize winner, dead at 68

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/21/charles-krauthammer-conservative-commentator-and-pulitzer-prize-winner-dead-at-68.html
It happened faster than I thought it would when I read his farewell column.

RIP to a man who invariably civilised the day's or the week's events with his writings.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:05:20 pm by EasyAce »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #748 on: June 21, 2018, 11:04:58 pm »
I didn't agree with everything Krauthammer said, but I respected the heck out of him as a man.  What courage.

I knew he was near the end, but this is still hard.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #749 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:33 pm »
It happened faster than I thought it would when I read his farewell column.

RIP to a man who invariably civilised the day's or the week's events with his writings.

If he was suffering, it's good that God ended his suffering sooner rather than later. 

Rest in peace, Dr. Krsuthammer.