Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 50193 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2018, 03:05:59 pm »
I have been wondering if it hasn't been purposefully made so by the league controllers.

Okay, @Bigun, I know you've posted a great piece tying all the players and their connections in the Clinton/Obama/Trump cases, which was wonderful.
Very informative and eye-opening.

C'mon now, this is baseball.
I don't believe the 1919 world series is going on all over again.

However, if anyone can find it, it'll be you.

:beer:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2018, 03:16:54 pm »
Okay, @Bigun, I know you've posted a great piece tying all the players and their connections in the Clinton/Obama/Trump cases, which was wonderful.
Very informative and eye-opening.

C'mon now, this is baseball.
I don't believe the 1919 world series is going on all over again.

However, if anyone can find it, it'll be you.

:beer:

All I'm going to say is that ticket sales are going to be a lot higher for AL west games going forward than they otherwise would have been.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2018, 03:24:21 pm »
All I'm going to say is that ticket sales are going to be a lot higher for AL west games going forward than they otherwise would have been.

True.
I remember during those hundred loss year seasons, I got a lot of free Astros tickets, and couldn't find people wanting to go.
Now, the free tickets have disappeared, and I when I buy tickets, everyone wants to go.

Do you think this Astros will ever settle on a 7th-8th-closer pitching situation?
I know Hinch has a lot of combinations he can throw out there, some (obviously) working better than others.....

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2018, 03:28:43 pm »
True.
I remember during those hundred loss year seasons, I got a lot of free Astros tickets, and couldn't find people wanting to go.
Now, the free tickets have disappeared, and I when I buy tickets, everyone wants to go.

Do you think this Astros will ever settle on a 7th-8th-closer pitching situation?
I know Hinch has a lot of combinations he can throw out there, some (obviously) working better than others.....

I know I'm gonna piss people off by saying this, but getting Osuna integrated is the key IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:49:59 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2018, 03:41:17 pm »
I have been wondering if it hasn't been purposefully made so by the league controllers.

There's a real chance that an AL team could miss the post-season and have a better record than any NL team.  Right now Seattle would have the best record in the NL, but they would be out of the AL Playoffs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:43:31 pm by dfwgator »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2018, 07:12:05 pm »
I know I'm gonna piss people off by saying this, but getting Osuna integrated is the key IMHO.
@Bigun
The news just came out---A.J. Hinch named Roberto Osuna the primary closer down the stretch.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2018, 07:14:48 pm »
@Bigun
The news just came out---A.J. Hinch named Roberto Osuna the primary closer down the stretch.

Thanks @EasyAce!   I hope it works out for the team.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2018, 07:18:02 pm »
@Bigun
@Bigun
@EasyAce

No surprise there, since that's what we got him for.
I'm thinking:

Pressley, Rondon, Osuna, 7,8, and 9,  with Devenski and Sipp going into face the one-offs (or mop up, with Will Harris)?

Peacock and McCue, earlier/long relief?

What do you y'all think?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #358 on: August 21, 2018, 07:23:37 pm »
@Bigun
@EasyAce

No surprise there, since that's what we got him for.
I'm thinking:

Pressley, Rondon, Osuna, 7,8, and 9,  with Devenski and Sipp going into face the one-offs (or mop up, with Will Harris)?

Peacock and McCue, earlier/long relief?

What do you y'all think?

You would be hard pressed to find a better long relief guy than Colin McCue IMHO.

The rest looks about right as well.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2018, 07:29:52 pm »
You would be hard pressed to find a better long relief guy than Colin McCue IMHO.

The rest looks about right as well.

Although it hasn't looked so good lately, it is one of the better bullpens in the Majors.
I saw it ranked at #2 in some article recently.
The luxury is, if one goes south, there's back up.
Hopefully, they all don't go south at once.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2018, 07:32:28 pm »
Although it hasn't looked so good lately, it is one of the better bullpens in the Majors.
I saw it ranked at #2 in some article recently.
The luxury is, if one goes south, there's back up.
Hopefully, they all don't go south at once.

The VAST majority of the Astros recent losses have not had anything to do with the pitching staff.  You have to score to win ballgames I don't care who is on the mound.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #361 on: August 21, 2018, 07:39:22 pm »
The VAST majority of the Astros recent losses have not had anything to do with the pitching staff.  You have to score to win ballgames I don't care who is on the mound.

QBS, eh?  (Quiet Bat Syndrome.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #362 on: August 21, 2018, 07:44:25 pm »

Not all were due to silent bats- 3 games lately, starting with Sunday the 12th through last night, 3 late inning home runs did us in.
2 were blown saves, followed by 10th inning home runs, last night, a 3-run blast in the 8th.
I suppose if we had larger leads in all of these, it would have made a difference, of course.
You gotta close the close ones.
Maybe now, if Osuna does well, that starts to happen, but he was one of the guys who gave up a walk-off in the 10th.
I do think it's wise for Hinch to name him the closer, although I'm not thrilled that he's here.
If it settles the situation, maybe that's all it will take.
 :shrug:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #363 on: August 21, 2018, 07:46:26 pm »

To say the least!   888mouth

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #364 on: August 21, 2018, 07:49:23 pm »
Not all were due to silent bats- 3 games lately, starting with Sunday the 12th through last night, 3 late inning home runs did us in.
2 were blown saves, followed by 10th inning home runs, last night, a 3-run blast in the 8th.
I suppose if we had larger leads in all of these, it would have made a difference, of course.
You gotta close the close ones.
Maybe now, if Osuna does well, that starts to happen, but he was one of the guys who gave up a walk-off in the 10th.
I do think it's wise for Hinch to name him the closer, although I'm not thrilled that he's here.
If it settles the situation, maybe that's all it will take.
 :shrug:

I just hope that A. J. can get his regular lineup back together and gelled before it's too late.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #365 on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:48 pm »

When Tyler White is the best hitter you have you are in trouble.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #366 on: August 21, 2018, 07:56:03 pm »
When Tyler White is the best hitter you have you are in trouble.

IS Altuve back tonight?
I hadn't had a chance to look yet.
Springer was in the opening line up last night, but got scratched due to quad soreness.
QBS, Yeah, that, too.

QBS-Symptoms may included restless nights, head shaking, and finger pointing......

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #367 on: August 21, 2018, 09:07:56 pm »
The Nats just traded Daniel Murphy to the Cubs and Matt Adams to the Cardinals.

OK, what did they do to piss off GM Mike Rizzo? Remember, his M.O. this year is that if you get into his doghouse, you get traded to contenders. Kind of like the father who punishes his son for driving under the influence by buying him a new 'Vette.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #368 on: August 21, 2018, 09:23:33 pm »

OK, what did they do to piss off GM Mike Rizzo? Remember, his M.O. this year is that if you get into his doghouse, you get traded to contenders. Kind of like the father who punishes his son for driving under the influence by buying him a new 'Vette.

Imagine that you get into your bosses doghouse, and he talks a better company into hiring you.
We should all have a boss like Rizzo.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #369 on: August 21, 2018, 10:45:16 pm »

I've been watching Murphy closely.   @EasyAce  While his bat is 'steady eddy', his defense has disappeared.

Why not trade him to a contending AL team with a DH?   I don't get it.   Murphy was as surprised as anyone. 

Adams, I understand.   Zimmerman is FINALLY back and platooning doesn't seem to be Adams' cup of tea (0-20 streak going)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #370 on: August 21, 2018, 10:46:30 pm »
Imagine that you get into your bosses doghouse, and he talks a better company into hiring you.
We should all have a boss like Rizzo.

LOL!  Maybe Dennis Murphy and Bryce Harper will be teammates again as CUBS.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #371 on: August 22, 2018, 12:00:17 am »
As I had posted on another thread, the AL west and the NL west are getting interesting.
As an Astros fan, more interesting that I would like.

Yep, case study of what happens when your 3 best players go down with an injury at the same time. 

If they don't return in earnest soon, it is not out of the question that we miss the playoffs.   The M's game last night proved that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:03:06 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #372 on: August 22, 2018, 12:01:26 am »

It sure didn't help.  Whether it soured the clublhouse this badly?  I'd sure hope not.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #373 on: August 22, 2018, 01:43:36 am »
I've been watching Murphy closely.   @EasyAce  While his bat is 'steady eddy', his defense has disappeared.
Remember, @DCPatriot , defense was never really Murphy's calling card. His bad defense was a big reason the 2015 Mets blew a World Series they could have won.

Why not trade him to a contending AL team with a DH?   I don't get it.   Murphy was as surprised as anyone.
Why deal a pair of serviceable relief pitchers to contenders just because you only thought they were malcontents and didn't bother trying to ascertain the actual truth? The only shock is that Rizzo didn't trade Murphy or Adams to the Red Sox, last seen still running away with the American League East.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #374 on: August 23, 2018, 12:13:13 pm »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24450643/mlb-stephen-strasburg-rough-return-sends-red-flag

Stephen Strasburg's rough return overshadows Nats' walk-off win

WASHINGTON -- Don't let the crazy finish fool you.

Yes, the Washington Nationals defied the odds, overcoming a rocky return by Stephen Strasburg to beat the Phillies 8-7 in dramatic fashion. Sure, Ryan Zimmerman's walk-off, replay-review, two-run homer off Philadelphia closer Seranthony Dominguez helped the Nats clinch a huge series between NL East rivals. Indeed, it's the first time since mid-May that Washington has taken a series from a team with a winning record.

But that's all window dressing. The cold hard truth -- the tummy-turning takeaway for a Nats squad that's trying to go all Cinderella down the stretch -- is that much like the rest of Washington's season, Strasburg's return did not go according to plan.

The hope was that Strasburg, making his first start in more than a month and only his second since June 8, would show no ill effects from the shoulder and neck issues that have plagued him, and would provide the Nats with a much-needed boost. But that's not how it went down.

....."I don't really know," Strasburg said when asked what might have led to his decreased velocity. "I saw it too. I'd like to think that it's -- I don't know if it's rust. I think it's just endurance. Hopefully that's what it is."

continued at link.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:16:31 pm by DCPatriot »