Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 50094 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2018, 04:20:31 pm »
! No longer available

Bryce who???   19 year old Juan Soto.

1st major league AB.....1st pitch......GONE!!!
@DCPatriot

Until Soto connected, each league had fifteen players each who hit home runs on the first major league pitch they saw:

National League:
Walter Mueller (Pirates), 1922
Clise Dudley (Dodgers), 1929
Eddie Morgan (Cardinals), 1936
Clyde Vollmer (Reds), 1942
Chuck Tanner (Braves), 1955
Jim Bullinger (Cubs), 1992
Jay Gainer (Rockies), 1993
Chris Richard (Cardinals), 2000
Gene Stechschulte (Cardinals), 2001
Kaz Matsui (Mets), 2004
Adam Wainwright (Cardinals), 2006
Mark Saccomanno (Astros), 2008
Tommy Milone (Nationals), 2011
Starling Marte (Pirates), 2012
Willson Contreras (Cubs), 2016

American League:
Bill LeFebvre (Red Sox), 1938
George Vico (Tigers), 1948
Bert Campaneris (Athletics), 1964
Brant Alyea (Senators), 1965
Don Rose (Angels), 1972
Al Woods (Blue Jays), 1977
Jay Bell (Indians), 1986
Junior Felix (Blue Jays), 1989
Esteban Yan (Devil Rays), 2000
Marcus Thames (Yankees), 2002
Andy Phillips (Yankees), 2004
Kevin Kouzmanoff (Indians), 2006
Daniel Nava (Red Sox), 2010
J.P. Arencibia (Blue Jays) 2010
Eddie Rosario (Twins), 2015

Notes on the above:

* Two of the first-pitch bombardiers did it as pinch hitters. (Phillips and Saccomanno)

* Eight were pitchers. (Dudley, Bullinger, Stechschulte, Wainwright, Milone, LeFebvre, Rose, and Yan)

* The longest span between first-pitch-ever home run hitters in the American League is seventeen years, between George Vico and Bert Campaneris. The longest in the National League is 37, between Tanner and Bullinger.

* Each league has had a first-pitch-ever home run hitter in back-to-back seasons only once.

* In terms of the field position of the player at the time he hit the bomb, every field position is represented on the first-pitch-ever home run list in the American League, but no second basemen or third basemen have ever done it in the National League.

* The National League team with the most first-pitch-ever home run hitters: the Cardinals, with four.

* The American League Team with the most first-pitch-ever home run hitters: the Blue Jays, with three.

* The longest major league career by any first-pitch-ever home run hitter: 20 years. (Bert Campaneris; Jay Bell had an 18-year major league career.)

* The career home run leader all-time among the first-pitch-ever home run hitters so far: Marcus Thames, with 115 before he retired.

* Hall of Famers who've hit home runs on the first major league pitch they ever saw: None.

* Eventual major league managers who hit home runs on the first major league pitch they ever saw: Chuck Tanner.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:22:43 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
@DCPatriot

Until Soto connected, each league had fifteen players each who hit home runs on the first major league pitch they saw:

National League:
Walter Mueller (Pirates), 1922
Clise Dudley (Dodgers), 1929
Eddie Morgan (Cardinals), 1936
Clyde Vollmer (Reds), 1942
Chuck Tanner (Braves), 1955
Jim Bullinger (Cubs), 1992
Jay Gainer (Rockies), 1993
Chris Richard (Cardinals), 2000
Gene Stechschulte (Cardinals), 2001
Kaz Matsui (Mets), 2004
Adam Wainwright (Cardinals), 2006
Mark Saccomanno (Astros), 2008
Tommy Milone (Nationals), 2011
Starling Marte (Pirates), 2012
Willson Contreras (Cubs), 2016

American League:
Bill LeFebvre (Red Sox), 1938
George Vico (Tigers), 1948
Bert Campaneris (Athletics), 1964
Brant Alyea (Senators), 1965
Don Rose (Angels), 1972
Al Woods (Blue Jays), 1977
Jay Bell (Indians), 1986
Junior Felix (Blue Jays), 1989
Esteban Yan (Devil Rays), 2000
Marcus Thames (Yankees), 2002
Andy Phillips (Yankees), 2004
Kevin Kouzmanoff (Indians), 2006
Daniel Nava (Red Sox), 2010
J.P. Arencibia (Blue Jays) 2010
Eddie Rosario (Twins), 2015

Notes on the above:

* Two of the first-pitch bombardiers did it as pinch hitters. (Phillips and Saccomanno)

* Eight were pitchers. (Dudley, Bullinger, Stechschulte, Wainwright, Milone, LeFebvre, Rose, and Yan)

* The longest span between first-pitch-ever home run hitters in the American League is seventeen years, between George Vico and Bert Campaneris. The longest in the National League is 37, between Tanner and Bullinger.

* Each league has had a first-pitch-ever home run hitter in back-to-back seasons only once.

* In terms of the field position of the player at the time he hit the bomb, every field position is represented on the first-pitch-ever home run list in the American League, but no second basemen or third basemen have ever done it in the National League.

* The National League team with the most first-pitch-ever home run hitters: the Cardinals, with four.

* The American League Team with the most first-pitch-ever home run hitters: the Blue Jays, with three.

* The longest major league career by any first-pitch-ever home run hitter: 20 years. (Bert Campaneris; Jay Bell had an 18-year major league career.)

* The career home run leader all-time among the first-pitch-ever home run hitters so far: Marcus Thames, with 115 before he retired.

* Hall of Famers who've hit home runs on the first major league pitch they ever saw: None.

* Eventual major league managers who hit home runs on the first major league pitch they ever saw: Chuck Tanner.

LOL!

My grown sons and my grandchildren tell me all the time that watching a game with me is their favorite thing in the world.

They tell me I have a different eye for the Game...etc..

Next to you, I know sh*t!    888high58888
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2018, 04:53:10 pm »
Nice!

I was in the Astrodome when Will Clark of the Giants (later on the Cardinals) hit his 1st home run on his first at bat off of Nolan Ryan.

@DCPatriot

The Will Clark home run I saw was not his 1st pitch, but it was his 1st at bat.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #278 on: May 22, 2018, 05:00:25 pm »
@DCPatriot

The Will Clark home run I saw was not his 1st pitch, but it was his 1st at bat.

@GrouchoTex

I had 'caught' that in your post.

Still can't get over how many hit HRs in the first pitch they ever saw.

...also how many names weren't that memorable.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #279 on: May 22, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »
@GrouchoTex

I had 'caught' that in your post.

Still can't get over how many hit HRs in the first pitch they ever saw.

...also how many names weren't that memorable.

Right about that.
A couple of the names were/are good players, but none were big standouts.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #280 on: May 22, 2018, 05:41:06 pm »
LOL!

My grown sons and my grandchildren tell me all the time that watching a game with me is their favorite thing in the world.

They tell me I have a different eye for the Game...etc..

Next to you, I know sh*t!    888high58888
@DCPatriot
All you got to do is what I did---look it up!  :beer:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2018, 02:18:58 pm »
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-jim-palmer-chris-davis-20180524-story.html

Hall of Famer Jim Palmer offers harsh criticism of Chris Davis on Orioles' postgame broadcast
Jon Meoli

...snip

If you play nowadays, you're going to make a lot of money, if you hit 33 home runs, 47 home runs, 53 home runs and you get a big seven-year deal.

"You've got to throw that away, and you've got to make some adjustments. I don't see anything. I don't see a wider stance, I don't see a closed stance, I don't see him dropping my hands. I don't see anything. And we're seeing the results. He's just in a prolonged slump. You know, they say he works hard. Ehh. He told everybody in spring training that he worked with [hitting coach] Scott Coolbaugh. I asked Scott in spring training, I go, 'Hey, you must have really put in a lot of work.' He goes, 'We didn't work.' So, you know, I don't believe anything.

“I can just look at what's going on. He's slumping. He's really — I mean, he's killing this club. He's not the only guy doing that. It's not all on Chris Davis. Then again, you give up 11 earned runs, it really probably wouldn't have mattered. But he's got to get back on track, and he's got to make some adjustments. If you look at Giancarlo Stanton, he had 59 home runs last year. Chris has hit 53. What did he do midway through the season? He closed his stance, and he ended up hitting, what, 27 home runs in the last two and a half months? So, Chris has got to do something. It's got to change. Whether it will or not, we'll wait and see."

...continued at above link

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42:04 pm »
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-jim-palmer-chris-davis-20180524-story.html

Hall of Famer Jim Palmer offers harsh criticism of Chris Davis on Orioles' postgame broadcast
Jon Meoli

...snip

If you play nowadays, you're going to make a lot of money, if you hit 33 home runs, 47 home runs, 53 home runs and you get a big seven-year deal.

"You've got to throw that away, and you've got to make some adjustments. I don't see anything. I don't see a wider stance, I don't see a closed stance, I don't see him dropping my hands. I don't see anything. And we're seeing the results. He's just in a prolonged slump. You know, they say he works hard. Ehh. He told everybody in spring training that he worked with [hitting coach] Scott Coolbaugh. I asked Scott in spring training, I go, 'Hey, you must have really put in a lot of work.' He goes, 'We didn't work.' So, you know, I don't believe anything.

“I can just look at what's going on. He's slumping. He's really — I mean, he's killing this club. He's not the only guy doing that. It's not all on Chris Davis. Then again, you give up 11 earned runs, it really probably wouldn't have mattered. But he's got to get back on track, and he's got to make some adjustments. If you look at Giancarlo Stanton, he had 59 home runs last year. Chris has hit 53. What did he do midway through the season? He closed his stance, and he ended up hitting, what, 27 home runs in the last two and a half months? So, Chris has got to do something. It's got to change. Whether it will or not, we'll wait and see."

...continued at above link

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
@DCPatriot
The Orioles proved wonderful for the White Sox's morale on Wednesday. The worst offense in the American League baked them 11-1 Wednesday, and with three home runs while they were at it. (One three-run job and a pair of two-run jobs.)

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2018, 04:30:54 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #284 on: May 24, 2018, 05:36:01 pm »
Here's a nice article on the Astros starting rotation

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/astros-pitching-sets-impressive-record-is-on-historic-pace/ar-AAxJTBx?li=BBnb7Kz
Things can change between now and October, but I imagine not many teams relish facing our starters right now.  (esp. in a 5 game series)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2018, 12:50:05 pm »
So ... Rizzo's slide.  Dirty or not?

Rizzo's slide into catcher stirs Cubs-Bucs debate
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:51:14 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2018, 03:01:59 pm »
So ... Rizzo's slide.  Dirty or not?

Rizzo's slide into catcher stirs Cubs-Bucs debate
@Polly Ticks
A dirty slide, no . . . under the revamped rule, Anthony Rizzo was out of bounds because Pirates catcher Elias Diaz didn't have any foot on the plate and had, in fact, stepped well enough out in front of the plate by the time Rizzo landed. Diaz wasn't blocking the plate before he had the ball in his possession. Until that rule was revamped, Rizzo would have been seen doing only what baserunners had done for generations trying to break up a double play. Rizzo's big mistake was aiming slightly out of the baseline on the inside part of it; he didn't try barreling into Diaz on the slide, never mind trying to plow him flush on without sliding a la Pete Rose v. Ray Fosse, but he did leave the baseline somewhat.

The kicker: if you look closely at the play, Diaz might not have been able to complete the double play anyway, even without the takeout slide---batter Chris Gimenez may have had the play beaten at first base. (Look closely to the first base side after Rizzo slides past Diaz and Diaz throws up the line. Even a clean, unimpeded throw might not have gotten Gimenez; that play would have been close enough to demand a review, too, if the throw didn't go wild past first.) If Rizzo was trying to take Diaz out of the play regardless, it worked, with the throw wild and two Cub runs coming home.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:02:51 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2018, 04:08:07 am »
Lesson for Tuesday evening: The Mets' bullpen doesn't always have to torch a stellar Jacob deGrom start. They're perfectly capable of torching the joint when Steven Matz has to leave a game for the fourth inning with an injury, too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #288 on: May 31, 2018, 04:38:01 am »
DUCK! DUCK! GOOSE!

! No longer available

(The Tigers have a Rally Goose now---they went on to beat the Angels after the above goosing . . . )

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2018, 12:45:54 am »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2018, 12:51:49 am »
! No longer available

Can't say I blame her.  Do you know what a beer costs at the ballpark??
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #291 on: June 07, 2018, 12:58:22 am »
Can't say I blame her.  Do you know what a beer costs at the ballpark??
That's what I call a catch! ;)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #292 on: June 07, 2018, 01:02:59 am »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2018, 03:28:02 am »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2018, 05:45:37 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2018, 03:13:50 pm »
Washington Nationals:  BA .240   OBP .318   SLG .400   OPS .718

Ranked 10th of 15.

Bryce Harper   BA  .221   OBP .365   SLG .486   OPS.850   WAR 1.4

Dreams of a $400M+ contract are fading fast.

The team ...especially, Harper does not look like they/he's having any fun playing the game right now.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #296 on: July 03, 2018, 12:41:45 am »
Tonight, Red Sox catcher Sandy Leon, swung at strike 3...on a Max Scherzer pitch that went through his legs.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #297 on: July 03, 2018, 01:14:41 pm »
Tonight, Red Sox catcher Sandy Leon, swung at strike 3...on a Max Scherzer pitch that went through his legs.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #298 on: July 03, 2018, 01:59:04 pm »

In all my years playing and observing The Game....never saw that before!    :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #299 on: July 04, 2018, 02:27:34 pm »
What's wrong with the Nationals?

Eddie Matz  ESPN Senior Writer

The Washington Nationals are not who we thought they were.

Coming into the season, they were widely projected to go all Fred Astaire and waltz their way to a third straight division title. After all, the club that won 97 games last year was returning almost entirely intact. Cy Young finalists Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg were back to anchor the rotation. Sean Doolittle, Ryan Madson and Brandon Kintzler -- all of whom helped stabilize the bullpen after coming over in midseason trades -- were ready for a full season in D.C. An already good offense led by Bryce Harper and Daniel Murphy was supposed to get even better with a healthy Adam Eaton atop the lineup.

(Sound of needle scratching on record.)

...more at:   http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23992370/wrong-nationals