Poll

Which current Major League Baseball parks have you been to for a game?

Angels - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
5 (12.2%)
Astros - Minute Maid Park - Houston, TX
1 (2.4%)
Athletics - Oakland Alameda County Stadium - Oakland, CA
1 (2.4%)
Blue Jays - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON
0 (0%)
Braves - Sun Trust Park - Atlanta, GA
1 (2.4%)
Brewers - Miller Park - Milwaukee, WI
0 (0%)
Cardinals - Busch Stadium III - St. Louis, MO
0 (0%)
Cubs - Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
2 (4.9%)
Diamondbacks - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
4 (9.8%)
Dodgers - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
6 (14.6%)
Giants - AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA
2 (4.9%)
Indians - Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH
1 (2.4%)
Mariners - Safeco Park - Seattle, WA
0 (0%)
Marlins - Marlins Park - Miami, FL
0 (0%)
Mets - Citi Field - Queens, NYC, NY
0 (0%)
Nationals - Nationals Park - Washington, DC
0 (0%)
Orioles - Oriole Park at Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD
3 (7.3%)
Padres - Petco Park - San Diego, CA
3 (7.3%)
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
1 (2.4%)
Pirates - PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA
1 (2.4%)
Rangers - Globe Life Park in Arlington - Arlington, TX
2 (4.9%)
Rays - Tropicana Field - St. Petersburg, FL
1 (2.4%)
Red Sox - Fenway Park - Boston, MA
1 (2.4%)
Reds - Great American Ball Park - Cincinnati, OH
2 (4.9%)
Rockies - Coors Field - Denver, CO
0 (0%)
Royals - Kauffman Stadium - Kansas City, MO
2 (4.9%)
Tigers - Comerica Park - Detroit, MI
0 (0%)
Twins - Target Field - Minneapolis, MN
1 (2.4%)
White Sox - Guaranteed Rate Field - Chicago, IL
0 (0%)
Yankees - New Yankee Stadium - The Bronx, NYC, NY
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!  (Read 50182 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2018---BRING IT ON!
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2018, 12:31:57 am »
I saw a decent pitchers duel in Dodger stadium in the 1970's also.
The first time I went to Dodger Stadium was in 2000. And I was astonished at one thing I saw---dozens of fans carrying
portable television sets with the picture off but the sound on . . . because, apparently, even though they were in the
ballpark they still wouldn't accept what they were seeing unless they heard it from Vin Scully. So there I was with
my young son, watching the game live and in person and still hearing Vin Scully calling the game. (He was on television
all nine innings; radio by then was only simulcasting his first three innings before handing off to the other Dodger
broadcasters on radio only.)

It was amazing. But that's how much credibility Scully still had . . . and would keep until the day he retired at last.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2018, 03:49:22 pm »
The first time I went to Dodger Stadium was in 2000. And I was astonished at one thing I saw---dozens of fans carrying
portable television sets with the picture off but the sound on . . . because, apparently, even though they were in the
ballpark they still wouldn't accept what they were seeing unless they heard it from Vin Scully. So there I was with
my young son, watching the game live and in person and still hearing Vin Scully calling the game. (He was on television
all nine innings; radio by then was only simulcasting his first three innings before handing off to the other Dodger
broadcasters on radio only.)

It was amazing. But that's how much credibility Scully still had . . . and would keep until the day he retired at last.

Oh yeah, back when he was radio full-time, many people would bring transistor radios in.
I remember that.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2018, 04:10:07 pm »
Ex-NFL lineman sells Mickey Mantle rookie year baseball card for $2.88 million.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/1952-mickey-mantle-card-auction-sale-price-evan-mathis-nfl-broncos-eagles/rtmniiew71x1179oaycv51sg1

Really, unbelievable.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2018, 04:32:18 pm »
Oh yeah, back when he was radio full-time, many people would bring transistor radios in.
I remember that.
When the Dodgers played their first four Los Angeles seasons in the old, ridiculous Coliseum, the transistor radios were a necessity if people
had seats in the rear of the place . . . because they could barely see what was happening on the (alleged) field. Then, from all appearances,
it looked like they kept the practise in Dodger Stadium just because . . . well, it was Scully. Politicians only dream of that kind of
credibility.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2018, 01:04:19 am »
Matt Harvey not happy about being taken out of the Mets' starting rotation

New York Mets pitcher Matt Harvey has lost his spot in the starting rotation, manager Mickey Callaway announced Saturday.

Harvey, who will be available coming out of the bullpen starting Tuesday, was not happy about the decision.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2018, 01:22:28 am »
@Polly Ticks
I wrote about the prospect Friday but I didn't post it up on the forum. Here it is:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harvey Agonistes

Last fall, playing out an injury-compromised season also marked by self-immolation over a fractured would-be romance, Matt Harvey
showed what some would call rare introspection after the Cubs used him as a personal pinata, battering him for five runs en route a
17-5 demolition. The one-time Dark Knight didn't just fall on his sword, he swallowed it whole.

"[W]ith the injuries I've had, some of the other outside distractions that I have caused, which I am not proud of," Harvey told a New
York Daily News
writer, Kristie Ackert, "it makes those decisions easier for management. It sucks, but it's the way it is. The only thing
I can do is move forward and try to put myself in the best position to help this team win and whatever decisions they make, I will
just have to deal with it."

The season finally wound down for Harvey and the injury-riddled Mess---er, Mets. Harvey himself was among the walking wounded. He
struggled to overcome thoracic outlet syndrome; he all but admitted he was brought to his knees after discovering a girl in whom he
was more than mildly interested returned to her former boyfriend---about which he read in the press.

But his winding-down also included a seven-run, twelve-hit, four-inning beatdown by the Marlins, of all people, in Harvey's following
start. He'd have all winter to re-horse, all spring to figure out how to be a different but still successful pitcher.

As the Mets jumped out of the gates and off to one of the best starts in baseball this season, Harvey's had only a moment or three of
looking like that different but successful pitcher and more moments where he's looked like some other team's target practise.

In his first start this season, Harvey looked like the best part of the pitcher he was going to have to become, a thinking person's
pitcher relying on knowledge and location instead of overpowering pitches. But on Thursday night, Harvey managed---underline that
---to pitch six innings and give relief to the Mets' effective but slightly overworked bullpen.

The problem was, he didn't give relief to the Mets overall. Those weren't exactly six great innings. They weren't even six good ones.
They were barely six mediocre ones.

The Braves tore six runs out of him---including two driven in by former Astro Preston Tucker (The Man and His Dream) en route a
five-steak night---with seven hits in the first three innings. His only strikeout was against Braves starting pitcher Matt Wisler. And
manager Mickey Callaway, the new kid on the block who's been pulling mostly the right strings with the surprising, first-in-the-
National-League-East Mets so far, is just about out of patience.

Callaway let that slip when he told reporters he "couldn't commit" to Harvey's next scheduled start. And Harvey the introspect of
last fall suddenly became Harvey the kid who doesn't understand why everyone's still mad at him for putting his foot through the
neighbour's china closet.

"I'm a starting pitcher," he said after the game Thursday, perhaps with just a little defiance. "I've always been a starting pitcher,
and I think I showed that in the fifth and sixth innings---I can get people out still in the fifth, sixth inning when my pitch count
gets up. So I'm a starting pitcher."

Pitching coach Dave Eiland wouldn't buy that if it came with a discount and a free toaster. "The game starts in the first inning,"
Eiland said flatly, "not the fourth."

Callaway is said to be thinking seriously about moving Harvey to the bullpen for a spell. It wouldn't exactly be a disaster, considering
how much work the pen got out of the chute, to the point where they faltered a few times in the last week or so. They're still the
Show's most effective, but they're not supermen or automatons. And a lapsed starter who can go more than an inning or two would
have to be a salve for them.

Just don't try to convince Harvey just yet. You have an admiration for a man stubborn enough in professional pride to remain convinced
of his job and his purpose, even as you lament that such pride may get in the way of what's best for his organisation.

The Dark Knight is history. But Harvey's dark days are far from over. With realistic hopes of going the distance to the postseason on a
remarkable 13-5 season start, the Mets can't afford anything more dark than a night game. They might empathise with his feeling but
they have to draw the line between empathy and reality. And not be too late.

"That last three innings I think I was able to break through that mental block I was feeling every time I went out there," Harvey said
Thursday night, perhaps turning from defiant to as plaintive as he can get. "I know that the results aren't there. I feel bad that it took
me so long to figure it out."

He and the Mets may feel worse if too long proves to be too little, too late. Callaway has a very hard decision to make.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2018, 01:24:35 am »
@Polly Ticks
Now, I wonder---has anyone on the Braves suggested to young Preston Tucker that he learn a little about
his legendary namesake . . . and maybe even change his uniform number so the back of his jersey reads
TUCKER 48?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2018, 01:58:10 am »
White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in critical condition after brain hemorrhage in dugout

Chicago White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar suffered a brain hemorrhage Friday night and fainted in the dugout during Friday's game against the Houston Astros and is in critical condition, the team announced Saturday.

Farquhar, 31, suffered a ruptured aneurysm that caused the brain bleed, according to the team. He is stable, the team says, but remains in the neurosurgical intensive care unit at RUSH University Medical Center.

The team placed Farquhar on the 10-day disabled list Saturday.

More at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/04/21/danny-farquhar-white-sox-brain-hemorrhage-injury/539363002/

@Cyber Liberty  , I hope he can pull through. Quite tragic. Any comments?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2018, 02:10:42 am »
@Cyber Liberty  , I hope he can pull through. Quite tragic. Any comments?

I don't know him.  But I think he's going to be out longer than 10 days.  That's horrible news!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:11:22 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2018, 02:12:02 am »
I don't know him.  But I think he's going to be out longer than 10 days.  That's horrible news!
That disabled list is a first formality. Unless I'm very wrong they'll move the poor guy to the 60-day list soon enough,
at least as soon as they can call up another pitcher.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2018, 02:15:46 am »
That disabled list is a first formality. Unless I'm very wrong they'll move the poor guy to the 60-day list soon enough,
at least as soon as they can call up another pitcher.

Probably.  Was he a starter?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2018, 02:42:35 am »
Probably.  Was he a starter?
Middle relief pitcher, I think.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2018, 02:55:31 am »

Was playing the Astros at the time , so saw live on TV.  Very scary, and gut wrenching.  My prayers to him, his family, and the Sox team
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2018, 03:16:53 am »
No-Hitter Alert!!!

Athletics' Sean Manaea Is Pitching a No-Hitter Through Eight Innings.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2018, 03:31:20 am »
He Did It!

A's win 3-0.   Only the Sox third loss.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2018, 04:19:42 am »
He Did It!

It wasn't easy the way the Red Sox have been playing so far.

Congratulations!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2018, 02:04:42 pm »
He Did It!

A no hitter is a great accomplishment anytime but doing it against a top flight team is really something!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2018, 02:05:18 pm »
Trivia: Sean Manaea is only the third pitcher to no-hit the Red Sox with ten or more strikeouts. The other two are a pair
of Hall of Famers: Walter Johnson and Jim Bunning. And Manaea's gem was the first time the Red Sox were no-hit in
exactly a quarter of a century.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2018, 01:03:25 pm »
Was playing the Astros at the time , so saw live on TV.  Very scary, and gut wrenching.  My prayers to him, his family, and the Sox team
They mentioned it Saturday.
They showed his jersey being hung up on the bullpen fence yesterday, but I didn't hear if they had an update or not.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2018, 01:07:51 pm »

I saw him last year at Minute Maid park.
He had the unfortunate assignment of having to pitch the 1st game the Astros played at home after after Hurricane.....Harvey.
Yep, they lit him up.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2018, 03:01:12 pm »
They mentioned it Saturday.
They showed his jersey being hung up on the bullpen fence yesterday, but I didn't hear if they had an update or not.
White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in ‘fight of his life’ after procedure to relieve brain swelling

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2018, 05:31:58 pm »
White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in ‘fight of his life’ after procedure to relieve brain swelling

Very very sad.  From what I have heard about brain aneuryisms, there is high chance his life will significantly impacted physically and mentally.  Of course at this point the focus is on surviving.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2018, 02:17:41 am »
White Sox pitcher,  Danny Farquhar who suffered from the brain aneurysm is proceeding well after surgery and talking to doctors and family.  His nickname is "google" per another news story. Hmmmn.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-sox-rhp-farquhar-progressing-well-after-surgery-042318

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2018, 02:29:10 am »
White Sox pitcher,  Danny Farquhar who suffered from the brain aneurysm is proceeding well after surgery and talking to doctors and family.  His nickname is "google" per another news story. Hmmmn.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/white-sox-rhp-farquhar-progressing-well-after-surgery-042318

Excellent news!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2018, 02:18:47 pm »
Acuna to make MLB debut for Braves today

Acuna will serve as Atlanta's starting left fielder and attempt to bolster a lineup that has tallied a National League-high 122 runs without him. The five-tool outfielder ranks second only to Angels rookie sensation Shohei Ohtani on MLB Pipeline's Top 100 prospects list.

Just in time for my road trip to Cincy tomorrow to catch a day game.  :0012:
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra