Author Topic: Navy Seeks Better Sleep For Crews With New Rest Guidelines, Special Glasses  (Read 583 times)

rangerrebew

Navy Seeks Better Sleep For Crews With New Rest Guidelines, Special Glasses
By: Ben Werner
December 28, 2017 4:39 PM

The Navy established new rest guidelines for surface ship crews and is exploring whether specially tinted eyewear can help sailors fall asleep faster during scheduled downtime, after a recent deep-dive into surface force readiness showed that crews were overworked and under-rested.

Navy leadership acknowledged over the summer that poorly rested crews on deployment saw degraded performance due to insufficient sleep. After the Comprehensive Review of Recent Surface Force Incidents also noted the link between work performance and sleep, the Navy has sought to take measures to help sailors get more and better rest.

https://news.usni.org/2017/12/28/navy-seeks-better-sleep-for-crews-with-new-rest-guidelines-special-glasses

rangerrebew

I slept right under the number 3 arresting gear with jets landing every minute or so hitting the flight deck just a few feet above my head.  I wonder how these glasses would have helped?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I wonder if the researchers will be found to have any connections to the manufacturers of the glasses?

Offline Night Hides Not

I slept right under the number 3 arresting gear with jets landing every minute or so hitting the flight deck just a few feet above my head.  I wonder how these glasses would have helped?

Lol, I remember my AF brothers complaining about 12 hour shifts during tac evals. I didn’t have that luxury as the “Army Liasion Officer” in the wing command. I was the only officer in my unit that had a TS clearance besides my CO. I’d bring extra fatigues and shaving gear, got by with catnaps from 2-4 AM.

I was the rare Army Butterbar that didn’t catch crap. I’d like to think it was because I saved the base from having to go full mask and protective gear during the first hour of my first tac eval. An NBC input was dropped by the NATO team, and the base disaster preparedness officer (a Captain) overreacted.

In the midst of 5 Colonels, I spoke up “sir may I make a recommendation?” Before the Wing Commander could say no, I ran through my 3 reasons for going to Alarm Yellow as opposed to Alarm Red. The Wing Commander went with my recommendation, and I saw the NATO team chief nodding his head in assent.

For the remainder of the Wing Commander’s tenure (15 months, 4-5 tac evals), I was called to the “Eagles Nest” whenever they received an NBC input. Considering that was one of my “extra duties “ at my battery, I was perfectly suited for that role.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.