Author Topic: Kansas: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Thursday night, Wichita, Kansas, Police sent out a SWAT team to respond to a 911 call that a man shot his father and was holding his family hostage in their home.

The telephone call was a lie. There was no hostage situation—but nevertheless a man at the home ended up dead, shot and killed by a police officer at his own front door.

Read more at: http://reason.com/blog/2017/12/29/prank-swat-call-may-have-led-to-wichita
The Republic is lost.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
They've got the shooter. Now if they can get the shot caller there should be two death sentences handed down.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

The caller has a record of false bomb report(s).
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ConstitutionRose

I know domestic violence calls are very dangerous for LEOs, but this seems a case of shoot now and ask questions later.  Why not determine who is at the house and make some phone calls?  Not good for the victim, no good for the police.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline dfwgator

They've got the shooter. Now if they can get the shot caller there should be two death sentences handed down.

Agreed.  This crap needs to stop.

Offline Frank Cannon

Police right now are being tight-lipped about what actually happened at the home of the dead man.....

......while they fabricate a bullshit story.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I get a lot of phone solicitations on my land line. Fairly recently, many of them appear to have local numbers. Area code and prefix. Like they are coming from a neighbor, or nearby business.

It turns out there is software which allows the caller to utilize a fake local number.

Perhaps the police in this case recognized a local number, and didn't even think to question the veracity of the call.

Just dash over to the address given, and start shooting.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

L.A. man arrested in fatal 'swatting' hoax in Wichita has been accused of making false threats before

Dakota Smith

A 25-year-old man was arrested Friday in South Los Angeles for his suspected role in a “swatting” hoax incident in Kansas that resulted in the fatal police shooting of a man.

Tyler Barriss was arrested on a fugitive warrant related to the Thursday shooting in Wichita, said LAPD Officer Mike Lopez. Barriss is being held without bail, Lopez said.

Barris was also arrested in 2015 on charges of making false bomb threats to the KABC-TV studio in Glendale. The station was evacuated after Barriss allegedly called and said there were “multiple” bombs inside.

Wichita Deputy Police Chief Troy Livingston said the hoax call was a case of "swatting," in which a false report of a serious crime is made to prompt a SWAT team to descend on a targeted address. Police said a prankster called 911 and reported a shooting and kidnapping. Police have not disclosed the name of the man who was killed Thursday evening, but relatives identified him as Andrew Finch, 28.

Continued at: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-swatting-suspect-20171230-story.html

The story tells you more of what happened at the scene. What a tragedy and from this, it sounds like someone from out-of-state pulled this. Lock 'em up for always. I'm not vindictive enough to say they should receive the death penalty but maybe.

This is a bit like those bomb hoax calls in Russia, now with these cell phones, people are pulling these tricks but I'm glad, they were able to catch who is probably responsible here.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:04:14 pm by TomSea »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
This shit will continue to happen as the overmilitarization of our police departments becomes the norm.  The Combat body armor wearing Jack boot shooter cop will walk.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."