Author Topic: Support slides for Merkel serving full term as coalition talks beckon  (Read 486 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Support slides for Merkel serving full term as coalition talks beckon
Reuters, Dec 27, 2017

BERLIN (Reuters) - If Angela Merkel becomes German chancellor again, nearly half of voters would want her to quit her term early, according to a poll offering a rare sign that domestic support for Europe’s most influential leader may be waning.

Merkel’s conservatives won a national election in September, setting her up for a fourth stint in office.  But they bled support to the far right, and talks on a three-way coalition with the Greens and the pro-business Free Democrats collapsed in November.

Merkel is now pinning her hopes on cutting a deal with the center-left Social Democrats (SPD), who finished second in the election but have so far given a lukewarm response to the idea of renewing the ‘grand coalition’ that governed Germany between 2013 and 2017.

More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-politics/support-slides-for-merkel-serving-full-term-as-coalition-talks-beckon-idUSKBN1EL0QM

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Support slides for Merkel serving full term as coalition talks beckon
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:34:45 pm »
She shouldn't serve another five minutes IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien