Author Topic: LNG sales to China boom  (Read 1274 times)

Offline thackney

LNG sales to China boom
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »
LNG sales to China boom
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/LNG-sales-to-China-boom-12457009.php
 December 27, 2017

China's imports of liquefied natural gas from the U.S. jumped last month as the country snatched up a record volume of the fuel to meet surging demand for heating and industrial use.

Shipments from the U.S. totaled 407,325 metric tons in November, up from nothing the same month a year earlier and 57 percent from October, placing one of the world's newest LNG sellers as the third-biggest supplier to China, behind stalwarts Australia and Qatar.

"U.S. exports are ramping rapidly up, while China is the fastest growing importer," said Kerry Anne Shanks, a Singapore-based analyst at Wood Mackenzie Ltd. "LNG trade between the two countries will continue to grow."

The world's largest energy user is struggling with a winter natural gas shortage after demand surged this year amid President Xi Jinping's fight against smog, which has focused on cutting the use of coal in favor of the cleaner-burning fuel. China's rising need has helped push spot LNG prices to $10.90 per million British thermal units, the highest in three years, according to industry publication World Gas Intelligence.

Increasing U.S. oil and gas supplies to China has been a goal for President Donald Trump's administration, with energy dominating the $250 billion in deals unveiled between the countries during his visit to Beijing last month. Those included agreements between Cheniere Energy Inc. and China National Petroleum Corp., as well as China Petrochemical Corp., known as Sinopec Group, and Alaska Gasline Development Corp. Neither of those were binding commitments, and Chinese LNG buyers have not yet inked any long-term purchasing or investment deals with U.S. exporters....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: LNG sales to China boom
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:05:03 pm »
Why does China import LNG from the US?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 09:07:41 pm »
Why does China import LNG from the US?

Because they’re short on their own supplies.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:12:55 pm »
This is why I'm always skeptical of China and their supposed economic juggernaut. 10 years ago during the boomin when they were throwing money into subdivisions upon subdivisions of houses that would never be occupied, and other rathole ventures just to have a place to put their money, they could have funneled that into energy infrastructure and security, among other things.

Why didn't they?
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:32:53 pm »
This is why I'm always skeptical of China and their supposed economic juggernaut. 10 years ago during the boomin when they were throwing money into subdivisions upon subdivisions of houses that would never be occupied, and other rathole ventures just to have a place to put their money, they could have funneled that into energy infrastructure and security, among other things.

Why didn't they?

Good question.  Do they have it in the ground to start with?  It's a pretty large country, but with poor transportation infrastructure.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 09:35:37 pm »
Good question.  Do they have it in the ground to start with?  It's a pretty large country, but with poor transportation infrastructure.

Don't know, but there's nuke and others, and it seems they'd had enough money for transportation improvements too. That's why I'm skeptical, because of their lack of judgement.
The Republic is lost.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 10:06:30 pm »
From what I've seen China has huge deposits of fossil fuels but they don't have the US's capability to extract them.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 10:56:52 pm »
From what I've seen China has huge deposits of fossil fuels but they don't have the US's capability to extract them.

If I recall correctly they have huge coal deposits. We ran almost exclusively on coal and nuke for decades, I'm not sure why they don't have a better energy infrastructure than they do.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 02:09:56 pm »
If I recall correctly they have huge coal deposits. We ran almost exclusively on coal and nuke for decades, I'm not sure why they don't have a better energy infrastructure than they do.
What you see in China today happened over only the last 10-15 years.  It takes a long time to get the type of instrastructure of pipelines over a country of such size.

In the US, our pipelines were built incrementally over many decades.  We still do not have a 'completed' network as lengthy pipelines are still being planned and constructed due to changing sources and markets.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington