Author Topic: Coldest night of the year breaks records as Michigan locked in deep freeze  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The Arctic blast that has plunged Michigan into a deep freeze this week is also breaking records.

In Grand Rapids, the temperature dropped to 10 degrees below zero at 7:28 a.m. today, the National Weather Service said. It's the coldest temperature reading there since 2015, and the coldest December temperature since 1989.

It breaks the -5 degree record for Dec. 27 that was set in 1993.

On the Southeast Side of the state, people also are waking up to temperatures below zero.

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/coldest_night_of_the_year_brea.html#incart_river_home

Also

Michigan wind chills hit 43 below, more frigid temperatures ahead

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/michigan_wind_chills_hit_43_be.html

Online libertybele

Re: Coldest night of the year breaks records as Michigan locked in deep freeze
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:04:37 pm »
I used to live in Michigan and when my hubby and I met 37 years ago, we vowed to move and get out of the cold, grey skies and gloomy weather.  We moved to sunny Florida 26 years ago knowing that eventually we'd retire here and decided to make the move sooner rather than later.  We are now looking forward to our retirement years and are all ready established in the area.  Nope, don't miss the cold or Michigan in the least.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 08:18:13 pm »
Next week's gonna be even colder........ at least here a little south of the (Michigan) border.

VERY cold for December!

I'm glad I don't live in that state up north.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:30:02 pm »
They are predicting -21F for middle Iowa this weekend.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 08:32:30 pm »
Next week's gonna be even colder........ at least here a little south of the (Michigan) border.

VERY cold for December!

I'm glad I don't live in that state up north.  ^-^

People keep telling me that I don't need to let the newer cars warm up and I say "Yes I do".

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:22 pm »
People keep telling me that I don't need to let the newer cars warm up and I say "Yes I do".

Unless you want to drive around in an icebox!  :laugh:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:49:38 pm »

When I leave work at 11:30 pm or so pull the car up to the entrance of the building and let it run for 20 minutes or so while I finish locking up.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:21 pm »

That's what heated seats are for.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 10:16:46 pm »

I spent 6 winters in Minnesota, and my poor car, not only had no heated seats, but it died in the cold every night until I managed to get a plug in engine warmer in the garage of my apartment building.

It took me 3 years back in Ohio to get my blood to thaw out.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 10:37:24 pm »
I've got a friend from Texas who is in MI visiting right now.  Sounds absolutely grueling.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:57:15 am »
@Frank Cannon
Tried that. The hot coals keep burning melting the naugahyde upholstery in my Vega. You know how hard it is to find good Nauga's these days?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 01:14:18 am »
@Frank Cannon
Tried that. The hot coals keep burning melting the naugahyde upholstery in my Vega. You know how hard it is to find good Nauga's these days?

:silly:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 01:36:14 am »
:silly:

Don't get me started now cuz we don't want to discuss the butt blisters from the irritation caused from my asbestos underoos.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 01:37:44 am »
Don't get me started now cuz we don't want to discuss the butt blisters from the irritation caused from my asbestos underoos.

You are SO right, Win_N_t.   We don't want to go there.

EVER!  :dx1:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 04:45:42 am »
I've got a friend from Texas who is in MI visiting right now.  Sounds absolutely grueling.

My neighbors are retirees from Texas. He's 93 and doesn't have any interest in being out in it but says he sees the beauty in the cold and snow. Being near perpetually open water is a special treat that gives us frozen fog that forms heavy frost in the trees.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 04:48:52 am »
My neighbors are retirees from Texas. He's 93 and doesn't have any interest in being out in it but says he sees the beauty in the cold and snow. Being near perpetually open water is a special treat that gives us frozen fog that forms heavy frost in the trees.

I've seen your photos and it is beautiful up there.  I just can't deal with 9 months of winter. 

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 05:04:04 am »
I've seen your photos and it is beautiful up there.  I just can't deal with 9 months of winter.

We get acclimated to it. By March 15 degrees won't feel all that cold.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 07:10:36 am »
We get acclimated to it. By March 15 degrees won't feel all that cold.
Fifteen above would have been pleasant today. Eighteen below now, with a wind chill of -35. Should be back above zero after the weekend.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 07:34:35 pm »

I wouldn't be able to either. I don't even  deal well with 9 DAYS of cold. I figure by the end of next week I'll be completely surly. By the posts of some here...in Texas we are having a heat wave. :laugh: