Author Topic: China to overtake US economy by 2032: Report  (Read 4398 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: China to overtake US economy by 2032: Report
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »
Are you seriously trying to say those huge factories building cars are not manufacturing?  Ford, GM, Boeing, etc building finished products are not manufactures?

I sense that you are becoming agitated. That is not my intent. We are not arguing. We are discussing.

If they were manufacturing, there would foundries in those plants pouring hot metal. I do not believe that is the case. But I could be wrong. I don't know. I willing to accept your points.

Maybe the issue is that you and I have a different idea of what the term 'manufacturing' means. But that's Ok.
I stand corrected.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 10:54:10 pm »

I sense that you are becoming agitated. That is not my intent. We are not arguing. We are discussing.

If they were manufacturing, there would foundries in those plants pouring hot metal. I do not believe that is the case. But I could be wrong. I don't know. I willing to accept your points.

Maybe the issue is that you and I have a different idea of what the term 'manufacturing' means. But that's Ok.
I stand corrected.

Manufacturing is taking raw materials into finished products, typically in factories.  I use the same definition the world uses in counting manufacturing statistics.  There are nearly always multiple steps from the raw material "mined" or harvested to the product intended for the end user.  Each one of those steps is manufacturing.  Regardless if it is accomplished by one company or a dozen.

If you only want to count the first step as manufacturing, taking a raw material into a part of the finished product, you are unique in your definition.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 11:13:04 pm »
Are you seriously trying to say those huge factories building cars are not manufacturing?  Ford, GM, Boeing, etc building finished products are not manufactures?

They assemble.    Meaning a significant amount of jobs and money are outside the US to make those parts.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 11:24:46 pm »

Exactly.

Oceander

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 11:25:32 pm »
They assemble.    Meaning a significant amount of jobs and money are outside the US to make those parts.

So?  A significant part - a more significant part since the final product is involved - is inside the US. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2017, 11:55:35 pm »
How would China call in our debt exactly? All they could do is threaten not to buy our debt which would collapse the dollar and make our exports cheaper.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 12:27:40 am »
So?  A significant part - a more significant part since the final product is involved - is inside the US.

So China has gotten rich because the US is manufacturing so much.

Man it must be easy to pass the CA bar

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 04:24:38 am »

China, rich?  They're in debt up to their eyeballs worse than we are.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 04:36:39 am »
China, rich?  They're in debt up to their eyeballs worse than we are.

Their currency is in all kinds of trouble and the Chinese Govt is covering it up.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline DB

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 05:25:58 am »
What nonsense.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-manufacturing-what-it-is-statistics-and-outlook-3305575

U.S. manufacturing is the largest in the world. It produces 18.2 percent of the world's goods. That's more than the entire economic output of Canada, Korea, or Mexico. But America's leadership position is threatened by high operating costs. That gives a competitive edge to other countries. First among these is China. Its low-cost factories manufacture 17.6 percent of the world's products...

...Manufacturing is an essential component of GDP. In 2016, it was $2.18 trillion. That drove 11.7 percent of U.S. economic output. It Manufactured goods comprise half of U.S. exports.....

Yep. High energy costs due to moronic regulation to go "green" and government regulation and taxes also drive U.S. manufacturing out of country. There are many barriers these days to manufacturing competitively.

Offline DB

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 05:34:29 am »

They have more than four times the population of the U.S. and produce less than we do as a country. And you think that is "rich"... China's per capita GDP is somewhere around $8,123.2... That's about 1/7th the U.S. Get a freaking clue.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2017, 02:37:45 pm »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2017, 04:48:53 pm »

That’s the way economics works, kiddo.  It isn’t a zero-sum game.  Perhaps you should have taken a basic class in economics. 

I have no idea how hard or easy it is to pass the CA bar.  You might ask someone who’s taken it.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2017, 09:26:58 pm »
China's millennials are just as lazy and unambitious as ours.  This is a worldwide occurence in just about every culture. Much of it I blame social media and parents only having 1-2 kids and spoiling them.

China is not free like we are and our free capitalistic system will always overpower theirs. We have some hick-ups but we will come back. The pendulam always swings back.  China has way more serious issues than the US.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/824/keep-calm-and-be-average-chinas-unambitious-millennials-doc-v67jj1

@thackney
@240B
@Oceander
@driftdiver
@To-Whose-Benefit?
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
@IsailedawayfromFR
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:28:30 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2017, 03:36:57 pm »
What scares me about China is the China 2025 program where they want to control 10 key industries by 2025 and are going to throw as much money at it as it takes. I.e computers, biotechnology, robotics.

That being said they still do not have freedom like we have and that counts for much.

@mirraflake

That's what worries me, too.  They have put in very targeted investments in strategic sectors.  It's not taking over garment manufacturing that bothers me as much.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2017, 04:26:03 pm »
The story is Bullshit.  China is bullshit.  I say down with the bullshit.  Lets put the bullshit back in America.  Make Bullshit Great Again....
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2017, 05:37:36 pm »
The story is Bullshit.  China is bullshit.  I say down with the bullshit.  Lets put the bullshit back in America.  Make Bullshit Great Again....

@WineNot

Starting the party early?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2017, 08:46:22 pm »
@WineNot

Starting the party early?

Can you finish writing your name in cursive in the snow at minus 12 degree's?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."