Author Topic: Army Hits F.B.I. on Riot Inquiry (1970)  (Read 1169 times)

Offline endicom

Army Hits F.B.I. on Riot Inquiry (1970)
« on: December 25, 2017, 06:17:21 pm »
New York Times
WILLIAM BEECHER
DEC. 12, 1970

WASHINGTON, Dec. 11—High Pentagon officials said recently that an usuccessful attempt was made in the spring of 1969 to have the Federal Bureau of Investigation take over from Army investigators the task of looking into the prospects of riots in major American cities.

“The Amy was willing to provide manpower during ac tual crises,” one official said, “but we felt advance investiga tions involving civilians be longed to a civilian agency. We weren't successful in getting them to do it.”

Mother Defense Department ‘source said, “The Justice De partment was unable to get the F.B.I. to be sufficiently respon sive.”

More... http://www.nytimes.com/1970/12/12/archives/army-hits-fbi-on-riot-inquiry.html

Perhaps some insight into what the military can do domestically.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Army Hits F.B.I. on Riot Inquiry (1970)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 06:41:06 pm »
That was when the National Guard went to Kent State May 1970.

People have debated that episode, from which the song lyric "Four Dead in Ohio," came.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:04:42 pm »

People have debated that episode, from which the song lyric "Four Dead in Ohio," came.

Kent State happened because the Left wanted to ramp things up to convince people that Vietnam was Nixon's War and not LBJ's War.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 07:23:22 pm »
Perspective: https://www.fordlibrarymuseum.gov/library/exhibits/Intelligence/RockComm_App5_Disorders.pdf

The FeeBIes arrested a guy from my (first) High School for his associations with H Rap Brown, Eldridge Cleaver, and Stokeley Carmichael. The race riots continued until I transferred to a private school (Thanks, Mom and Dad!, but also because I had placed 5th in an eighth grade Math contest in Southern Maryland a couple of years before.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 07:27:55 pm »
Kent State happened because the Left wanted to ramp things up to convince people that Vietnam was Nixon's War and not LBJ's War.
That was part of it. The desired results were achieved: to make 'the man" look like the oppressor, to malign the military (even at the National Guard level), and to provide martyrs for 'the movement'.

All provided visual impact 'evidence' for the various flavors of Communists of The New Left, and, ostensibly, reasons to rebel against traditional American Values.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 07:36:21 pm »

Ah, but this is Regular Army and not National Guard.