Author Topic: Massachusetts Medical Society ends opposition to physician-assisted suicide, adopts neutral stance  (Read 442 times)

Offline Suppressed

Massachusetts Medical Society ends opposition to physician-assisted suicide, adopts neutral stance
By Laura Crimaldi GLOBE STAFF  DECEMBER 02, 2017
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/12/02/massachusetts-medical-society-decide-whether-doctors-should-help-dying-end-their-lives/GtVH8TuY1IebcMmltEoy4M/story.html

JESSICA RINALDI/GLOBE STAFF
Dr. Roger Kligler of Falmouth reacted to the vote. Society members viewed a projection of proposed language changes. Kligler, a Falmouth physician suffering from metastatic prostate cancer, supported the resolution.

WALTHAM — The Massachusetts Medical Society voted Saturday to end its longstanding opposition to physician-assisted suicide and adopted a neutral stance on what it now calls “medical aid-in-dying.”

The society’s governing body approved the changes in separate votes. Delegates voted 151 to 62 to retract the policy opposing physician-assisted suicide. The provision establishing a neutral position on medical aid-in-dying passed by a margin of 152 to 56 votes.

Terminology played a key role in the group’s debate over the issue. The policy that was rescinded used the term physician-assisted suicide, language that is opposed by many in favor of allowing doctors to help patients with terminal illness end their lives at the time of their choice.

In a separate vote, the society agreed on a definition for medical aid-in-dying that encompasses the possibility that Massachusetts physicians could one day be authorized to write prescriptions for lethal doses of medication to help the terminally ill die when they see fit.

The definition notes that the practice would have to be legalized before it could be recognized as a way to care for the terminally ill. The policy notes that physicians would not be required to prescribe lethal doses of medication to the terminally ill if it violates their ethical beliefs.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

Down the slippery-slope we go.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This is unfortunate; I read some of the Canadian news websites when this debate was up there and some of the comments.  Of course, I don't go along with this "physician-assisted suicide" but I read some of the comments defending the policy. "Well, people are suffering so much" and things like that.