Author Topic: Germans fear huge loss of jobs from US tax reform  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Germans fear huge loss of jobs from US tax reform
« on: December 21, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
Germans fear huge loss of jobs from US tax reform
Handelsblatt, Dec 14, 2017, Katharina Kort

German investment in the US is expected to rise by €39 billion because of lower US corporate taxes.

“The tax competition will have a new dimension,” said Christoph Spengel, chairman of the corporate tax department at the University of Mannheim. Mr. Spengel, who is also a research associate at the Center for European Economic Research, and a group of tax experts at the university have done a detailed comparison of the two countries’ tax systems and published a report under the heading, “Germany loses out in US tax reform.”

Clemens Fuest, who heads the Ifo economic think tank, also said he believed German business would suffer. “Investments and jobs will migrate to the US,” he said.

More: https://global.handelsblatt.com/politics/germans-fear-huge-loss-of-jobs-from-us-tax-reform-865577

Offline anubias

Re: Germans fear huge loss of jobs from US tax reform
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 04:52:23 pm »

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 04:53:38 pm »
Oops ... it looks like Congress ignored their letter.  ^-^

US tax reform breaks global rules, EU says
DW.com, Dec 19, 2017, Nils Zimmermann

European finance ministers are worried. They say the United States' big tax reform bill contains measures that would unfairly disadvantage European business and contravene global fair-taxation rules. Are they right?

Last week, the finance ministers of Europe's five biggest economies — Germany, France, the UK, Spain and Italy — wrote an anxious letter to their American colleague, US Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin, and copied it to all senior Republican politicians in the Congress and Senate.

The letter's thrust: The draft US tax bill, if passed as written a week ago, would represent a break with global fair-taxation rules as applied to corporations, and represent a thinly disguised form of trade war.

"The United States is Europe's single most important trade and investment partner," the finance ministers wrote. "It is important that the U.S. government's rights over domestic tax policy be exercised in a way that adheres with international obligations to which it has signed-up. The inclusion of certain less conventional international tax provisions could contravene the US's double taxation treaties and may risk having a major distortive impact on international trade."

More:  http://www.dw.com/en/us-tax-reform-breaks-global-rules-eu-says/a-41862318

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 04:57:07 pm »
Happy new year, Angela ...

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 05:01:41 pm »
People who turn their noses up at the United States’ obligations under the tax treaties it has, and which it principally drafted, are idiots. 

The US has gone down this road before, and lost. 

Offline anubias

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 05:08:08 pm »
People who turn their noses up at the United States’ obligations under the tax treaties it has, and which it principally drafted, are idiots. 

Then vote for Democrats as most lawyers do if you want to see the US buried under tax burdens to keep us from competing with other countries.  Maybe Michael will run to put his husband back in the Whitehouse to make your dreams come true.

Offline anubias

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 05:08:46 pm »

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:28:32 pm »
Love it!   :beer:

This has been a pretty damn good week!!!  888high58888

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:43:17 pm »

What does "United States’ obligations under the tax treaties," have to do with lower US federal corporate tax rates?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »
Then vote for Democrats as most lawyers do if you want to see the US buried under tax burdens to keep us from competing with other countries.  Maybe Michael will run to put his husband back in the Whitehouse to make your dreams come true.

And here I thought so-called conservatives were supposed to be about the rule of law.  Apparently not.  As far as you’re concerned, the US responsibilities under treaties it negotiated and signed are just so much empty verbiage to be ignored if it pleases Lord Trump. 

What a waste of political intellect. 

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 05:51:08 pm »
What does "United States’ obligations under the tax treaties," have to do with lower US federal corporate tax rates?

Why don’t you read up on the issues so you can ask intelligent questions.  Take a few minutes time away from worshipping Lord Trump. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:53:06 pm »
The Zero is puking in his shoes.   888high58888

As are the rest of the Democrats.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/lefts-unhinged-response-to-trump-tax-cut-reveals-their-real-fear-what-if-it-works/

Yes they are!  They are scared to death of the working people in this country noticing the change in the bottom lines of their paychecks next year!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 05:58:59 pm »
Why don’t you read up on the issues so you can ask intelligent questions.  Take a few minutes time away from worshipping Lord Trump.
It is a simple question. You raised "United States’ obligations under the tax treaties," so you owe forum participants a brief concise explanation of what you mean.

I will restate my question: What do "United States’ obligations under the tax treaties," have to do with reduced corporate tax rates?

Enlighten the whole forum.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 06:01:18 pm »
Yes they are!  They are scared to death of the working people in this country noticing the change in the bottom lines of their paychecks next year!

You’re so clueless it’s not even funny. Perhaps you didn’t notice that they also changed the formula for indexing the rate brackets so that the indexing will be more IRS-friendly and less taxpayer-friendly.  Any tax cuts that might be realized next year will be fully offset, and then some, by the silent tax increases everyone will face in subsequent years as they get slowly pushed into higher brackets due to the slower rate of indexing.  And the change in the indexing is permanent, btw, and doesn’t sunset in 10 years, so there is a permanent tax increase that will quickly swamp the little palliative tax “cut” next year.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 06:04:38 pm »
You’re so clueless it’s not even funny. Perhaps you didn’t notice that they also changed the formula for indexing the rate brackets so that the indexing will be more IRS-friendly and less taxpayer-friendly.  Any tax cuts that might be realized next year will be fully offset, and then some, by the silent tax increases everyone will face in subsequent years as they get slowly pushed into higher brackets due to the slower rate of indexing.  And the change in the indexing is permanent, btw, and doesn’t sunset in 10 years, so there is a permanent tax increase that will quickly swamp the little palliative tax “cut” next year.

Says you!  If it were you to me the Gooberment would not have ANY of the social engineering tools provided by the Marxist income tax because there wouldn't BE one!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 06:09:58 pm »
Says you!  If it were you to me the Gooberment would not have ANY of the social engineering tools provided by the Marxist income tax because there wouldn't BE one!

You’re the very definition of irony:  cheering on a law that exacerbates the defects of the “Marxist” income tax while claiming at the same time to be against the “Marxist” income tax.  You can have one or the other, but not both.

And in point of fact, what Trump and the republicans did with this law, particularly with changing the indexing method, is precisely the sort of thing that is, from your writings, one of the worst aspects of the income tax: stealth appropriation of wealth from individuals for redistribution by the government.

So why are you so happy about the fact that Trump and the republicans just put more Marxism into the US tax system?

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 06:13:53 pm »

Wouldn't taking some classes be a better use of your time?   :pondering:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 06:18:48 pm »
You’re the very definition of irony:  cheering on a law that exacerbates the defects of the “Marxist” income tax while claiming at the same time to be against the “Marxist” income tax.  You can have one or the other, but not both.

And in point of fact, what Trump and the republicans did with this law, particularly with changing the indexing method, is precisely the sort of thing that is, from your writings, one of the worst aspects of the income tax: stealth appropriation of wealth from individuals for redistribution by the government.

So why are you so happy about the fact that Trump and the republicans just put more Marxism into the US tax system?

I'm only happy that the new law is going to be used to DEFEAT democrats next year!  I have said many time previously that in reality it is NOT reform at all but just more tinkering around the edges of the Marxist income tax!  You can check that out if you care to!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
I'm only happy that the new law is going to be used to DEFEAT democrats next year!  I have said many time previously that in reality it is NOT reform at all but just more tinkering around the edges of the Marxist income tax!  You can check that out if you care to!

So you’re happy because one set of crypto marxists - Trump and the republicans - will use a Marxist income tax to beat another group of Marxists?

Hint: either way, the Marxists win. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 06:23:45 pm »
So you’re happy because one set of crypto marxists - Trump and the republicans - will use a Marxist income tax to beat another group of Marxists?

Hint: either way, the Marxists win.

Yeah!  I guess that about sums it up councilor.  Maybe the Republicans are FINALLY learning how to fight fire with fire!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 06:25:57 pm »
Yeah!  I guess that about sums it up councilor.  Maybe the Republicans are FINALLY learning how to fight fire with fire!

Hint:  the Marxists still win. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »

They've been winning for 150 years now! Time to turn the tables on them!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 06:36:17 pm »

No the Marxists always lose in the end, always.   Historically they have to kill a lot of people and destroy nations before they hit bottom though.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 06:38:43 pm »
It is a simple question. You raised "United States’ obligations under the tax treaties," so you owe forum participants a brief concise explanation of what you mean.

I will restate my question: What do "United States’ obligations under the tax treaties," have to do with reduced corporate tax rates?

Enlighten the whole forum.   
@Oceander - when will you answer the question rather than throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks?  @truth_seeker has asked politely twice and you ignore him.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington