Author Topic: NFL Attendance Continues To Plummet As Empty Seat Epidemic Enters Week 15  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

NFL Attendance Continues To Plummet As Empty Seat Epidemic Enters Week 15
Zero Hedge, Dec 17, 2017

As the NFL copes with a ratings slump and ESPN slashes $80 million in salaries after losing 15,000 subscribers a day in October, another major issue facing the league continued to play out in week 15 - terrible attendance.

While many blame the kneeing epidemic of unpatriotic players refusing to stand for the National Anthem - which started in the summer 2016 pre-season by former San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, others point to a boring season, cord cutters and broke millennials staying home.

Either way, it's ugly. Since most NFL attendance figures are based on "tickets distributed" as opposed to actual turnstile count, and most NFL ticket sales are to season-ticket holders, it's nearly impossible to tell how many people are simply choosing not to attend games for which they've already bought tickets. Except, pictures don't lie...

Ravens vs. Browns, Start 2nd Qtr

More: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-17/nfl-attendance-continues-plummet-empty-seat-epidemic-enters-week-15

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: NFL Attendance Continues To Plummet As Empty Seat Epidemic Enters Week 15
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:47:04 pm »
They cited attendance for Cleveland, San Francisco and the New York Giants, the three worst teams in the league. In December.

This article is so weak and slanted they wouldn't even put Tyler Durden's name on it.  :rolling:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 08:41:21 pm »
The local channels made a point of mentioning, ad nauseum, that Heinz Field was sold out for the Steelers-Pats game yesterday.  68,000 or so. 

Pittsburgh is too much of a football town.  A boycott just doesn't last.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »
The local channels made a point of mentioning, ad nauseum, that Heinz Field was sold out for the Steelers-Pats game yesterday.  68,000 or so. 

@Applewood
There are stories which indicated Fox was hiring people to fill the seats.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:03:38 pm »

I saw some of these "Sold Out" games. There were a lot of empty seats in the stadium and that was even with deep discounts on tickets.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:37:42 pm »
@Applewood
There are stories which indicated Fox was hiring people to fill the seats.

Well, this game was on See BS.

But unlike other games where the networks employ camera tricks to make the venue appear more filled than it is, there were wide shots of the crowd and I didn't see any empty seats.   I looked it up -- Heinz Field officially holds 68,400.  One local station says the official attendance yesterday was 68,574, so attendance exceeded capacity, apparently.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:48:40 pm by Applewood »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:42:55 pm »
When the early tallies of season ticket sales for next year come in, will be interesting.

Handing out tickets, is a business expensed marketing item.

My guess is some companies have found fewer takers, this year. Maybe they simply won't renew their purchases for next year, pending how things get worked out.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 06:25:06 pm »
I saw some of these "Sold Out" games. There were a lot of empty seats in the stadium and that was even with deep discounts on tickets.
The way the market works, if there are ever any discounting, the game will not be sold out.

Scalpers can always get a premium when there is demand for the tickets.

Talking about scalpers, there is another group which buys up large quantities early on to get a premium for the tickets later on.

I wonder how many of these guys have gotten burned selling at a discount and whether they will repeat their disaster during 2018?  My bet is no.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington