Author Topic: Homeless Death Toll Rises on West Coast  (Read 923 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Homeless Death Toll Rises on West Coast
« on: December 17, 2017, 06:16:29 pm »
Homeless Death Toll Rises on West Coast
Newsweek Grace Guarnieri

A Thursday report from Multnomah County revealed that 80 homeless people died on the streets of Portland in 2016, and a shocking 359 had died since 2011.

Portland officials are blaming the rise in deaths on the city's shortage of affordable housing units. The threat of more deaths looms large in California, Washington, and Oregon, with the most acutely affected by the affordable housing crisis where thousands of homeless people are living unsheltered.

"The housing crisis is now claiming lives in every geographic quadrant of our county," Multnomah County Chair Deborah Kafoury toldThe Portland Mercury.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/homelessness/homeless-death-toll-rises-on-west-coast/ar-BBGOBtM?li=BBnbcA1

Offline dfwgator

Re: Homeless Death Toll Rises on West Coast
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:16:59 pm »
Yep, a Republican is in the White House.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 06:24:40 pm »
If no one is aware, Portland has some of the most bizarre rules for development in place to keep Portland "Weird". New developments are not allowed.

Oregon's 1973 "urban growth boundary" law limits the boundaries for large-scale development in each metropolitan area in Oregon.[218] This limits access to utilities such as sewage, water and telecommunications, as well as coverage by fire, police and schools.[218] Originally this law mandated that the city must maintain enough land within the boundary to provide an estimated 20 years of growth; however, in 2007 the legislature altered the law to require the maintenance of an estimated 50 years of growth within the boundary, as well as the protection of accompanying farm and rural lands.[106]

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am »

That means it's all on Obama. Trump didn't take office until January 2017.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:22 am »
Notice how problems with homelessness seem to occur primarily in Democrat-ruled regions.  All that government micro-management and social programs do nothing.  Of course, the Dems don't get it.  They think the problems can be fixed with more government regulation and interference and, of course, more taxpayer money.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:41:37 am »
Notice how problems with homelessness seem to occur primarily in Democrat-ruled regions.  All that government micro-management and social programs do nothing.  Of course, the Dems don't get it.  They think the problems can be fixed with more government regulation and interference and, of course, more taxpayer money.

AND only brought to light when their is a Republican in the White House.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:55:29 am »

AND only brought to light when their is a Republican in the White House.

Indeed!  During 8 years of Obama rule, all I heard about was how good life was.  Homelessness, unemployment -- neither existed.  As soon as a Republican takes over, all the bad things return. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:58:00 am »
Notice how problems with homelessness seem to occur primarily in Democrat-ruled regions.

That's because people migrate to where there are services.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:02:20 am »

But the thing is -- many of the homeless don't take advantage of those services.  Where I live, there are shelters, opportunities for work and training/education, plenty of public assistance, free food and so on.  The homeless often don't take advantage of these things. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 02:25:42 am »
But the thing is -- many of the homeless don't take advantage of those services.  Where I live, there are shelters, opportunities for work and training/education, plenty of public assistance, free food and so on.  The homeless often don't take advantage of these things.

Your long term or habitual homeless prefer to remain that way.  Their numbers are large and growing on the left coast and HI.  That being said, if they wish to live that life I have no problems when they die and decrease the surplus population.  They should hurry up about it however.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:32:43 am »
Some folks deserve that helping hand.

LA has always had this. I'm surprised so many die on the streets. You have all kinds who are homeless I'm sure, runaway kids, families, plenty of vets, the mentally ill and drug users.

That one lady helped raise money for that former marine who was homeless. This was a big story, I think posted here:
Homeless Vet Who Helped Woman Buys New Home With Money She Raised

A homeless man who helped a woman get home after she ran out of gas on I-95 has been rewarded with a new home. Johnny Bobbitt Jr. bought a new home on Monday, according to the GoFundMe campaign, which had raised nearly $400,000 as of Tuesday.

"The feeling is indescribable and it's all thanks to the support and generosity that each and every one of you has shown," he wrote to those who have contributed to the Paying it Forward campaign set up for him. "I'll continue to thank you every single day for the rest of my life."

Kate McClure, of Florence, and her boyfriend Mark D'Amico set up the campaign for Bobbitt after he spent his last $20 to get her gas after she broke down on I-95 heading into Philadelphia.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/cinnaminson/homeless-man-who-helped-woman-need-buys-new-home

For shame to be so callous, that's not a Christian attitude.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 02:34:40 am »
Homelessness is a real problem and in the winter months, they go to Salt Lake City, Vegas, Albuquerque and San Diego and LA naturally, cities with more easy-going climates.

Speaking of Vegas, there was the story posted here a few weeks ago, where this homeless man ended up saving some children in a house that was burning down.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 02:35:31 am »

And I don't know about all cities, but a great number of cities in our country are democrat, the rural areas are republican.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 02:39:58 am »

Homeless veterans treated to Sunday dinner in Northampton

They were presented with donated jackets and other warm clothing
Sy Becker Published: December 17, 2017, 5:13 pm

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – Homeless veterans here in western Massachusetts received a measure of appreciation Sunday in the form of a helping hand.

The veterans down on their luck were guests at the World War Two club in Northampton Sunday afternoon.

There, they were treated to Sunday dinner and presented with donated jackets and other warm clothing.

Continued: http://wwlp.com/2017/12/17/homeless-veterans-treated-to-sunday-dinner-in-northampton/

See. Apparently a big deal out in Massachusetts, it is likely, there are stories like this all over.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 03:24:13 am »

Rough translation:  "Services" = "Gibsmedat"

It's in Urban Dictionary .com.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 03:44:52 am »

Speaking of Vegas, there was the story posted here a few weeks ago, where this homeless man ended up saving some children in a house that was burning down.

Great idea Tommy. We should station a few of these Hobos in every neighborhood to keep an eye out for trouble. It would give them something to do and who doesn't feel safer with a vagrant rummaging through their garbage?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 03:34:30 pm »
I foresee a problem when the Sterno-drinkers try to run into a burning house....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 07:31:06 pm »
Homelessness is a real problem and in the winter months, they go to Salt Lake City, Vegas, Albuquerque and San Diego and LA naturally, cities with more easy-going climates.

Salt Lake City?

You know they get an actual winter there.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer