Author Topic: Ed Asner Claims America Was Founded On Gun Control  (Read 1388 times)

rangerrebew

Ed Asner Claims America Was Founded On Gun Control
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:41:05 am »
Ed Asner Claims America Was Founded On Gun Control

December 16, 2017| by Brian Anderson

Ed Asner used to play a fake newsman on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Nowadays he’s less concerned with fake news and more interested in fake history. According to the liberal actor-vist, America was founded on gun control. Why does he say this? Because he he’s a liberal who hates America, our heritage, and our freedom. Also, he’s completely full of crap.

Asher cowrote a piece for Salon titled Sorry, NRA: The U.S. was actually founded on gun control. Like everything on Salon it’s long and dense, but the major argument behind this ridiculous statement is that James Madison had an earlier draft of the 2nd Amendment that somehow proves our country was built around gun control:

https://downtrend.com/ed-asner-claims-america-was-founded-on-gun-control/

Offline Applewood

Re: Ed Asner Claims America Was Founded On Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:44:41 pm »
Asner was a decent actor, but his radicalism turned me off.  He's also involved in that Free Mumia movement -- trying to get the Philadelphia cop killer out of prison.  There is a documentary where Asner makes all sorts of claims about Mumia's innocence, including the standard "cops planted evidence."  The prosecutor refutes every claim.

It's a shame about Asner. I had pleasant memories of him from the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Now I can't stand him.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 01:48:02 pm »
The amazing thing is how the revolutionaries managed to gain freedom from Britain using only broom handles and nerf balls against the redcoats.

Well, okay, broom handles that looked like guns.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:58:17 pm »
Leftists like Asner dream of the day when the authorities can go house to house to search for and confiscate firearms from the citizenry.
He  shouldn't wish for it. If something like that ever gets started, we will be in another shooting civil war and not just the occasionally violent one we're in now.
And we have a lot more guns than they do.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:59:14 pm by goatprairie »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 02:01:41 pm »
Asners "Use by" date has long passed. But then Old Leftists from holyweird never expire, they just turn sour.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 02:30:14 pm »
Asners "Use by" date has long passed. But then Old Leftists from holyweird never expire, they just turn sour.
Within every liberal/leftist is the heart-throbbing desire to "save the world." It usually ends up the world needs saving from the likes of people like Asner.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »
Who woke this ass clown 🤡 out of his coffin?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 03:04:04 pm »
A bit of dusty history for "Ol' Red" Asner:

On the night of April 18, 1775, hundreds of British regular troops marched northwest from Boston to the town of Concord, their objective being the seizure of weapons and ammunition held by the Provincial Congress in the armory located there. The British forces were composed of 10 elite light infantry companies as well as 11 grenadier companies; approximately 700 soldiers in all. Having been alerted to the threat by lanterns placed in Boston's Old North Church, Paul Revere and others such as William Dawes rode out on horseback to sound the alarm. Colonial militiamen, numbering about 80 and armed primarily with muzzle-loading flintlock musket quickly began mobilizing to intercept the Redcoats. A confrontation on the Lexington town green ignited the battle, and soon the British were hastily retreating under intense fire. 8 Americans were killed at the battle of Lexington.

When British troops arrived at Concord, Lieutenant Colonel Smith ordered them to search for American military weapons and ammunition but most of the military supplies had been hidden or destroyed before their arrival. A British company of around 90 men under Captain Walter Laurie was confronted by around 400 American patriots at Concord’s North Bridge. A brief exchange of fire ensued which saw the first instance of Americans firing to deadly effect on British regulars, who were forced to withdraw. Famous American poet Ralph Waldo Emerson called the first shot of this skirmish the “shot heard round the world” in his 1837 poem “Concord Hymn”.*

During the retreat to Boston, British troops were fired upon continuously from hidden positions by Americans, whose numbers kept enhancing as more militiamen kept arriving from neighboring towns. During the course of the battles, the British suffered 273 casualties to the colonists' 95.

The American Revolution, as we all know, was fought to establish American independence from Great Britain. It began proximately as an effort to prevent the British army from seizing Americans' firearms.

*citation: https://learnodo-newtonic.com/battle-of-lexington-and-concord-facts
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 03:20:06 pm »

On the night of April 18, 1775, hundreds of British regular troops marched northwest from Boston to the town of Concord, their objective being the seizure of weapons and ammunition held by the Provincial Congress in the armory located there. The British forces were composed of 10 elite light infantry companies as well as 11 grenadier companies; approximately 700 soldiers in all. Having been alerted to the threat by lanterns placed in Boston's Old North Church, Paul Revere and others such as William Dawes rode out on horseback to sound the alarm. Colonial militiamen, numbering about 80 and armed primarily with muzzle-loading flintlock musket quickly began mobilizing to intercept the Redcoats. A confrontation on the Lexington town green ignited the battle, and soon the British were hastily retreating under intense fire. 8 Americans were killed at the battle of Lexington.

When British troops arrived at Concord, Lieutenant Colonel Smith ordered them to search for American military weapons and ammunition but most of the military supplies had been hidden or destroyed before their arrival. A British company of around 90 men under Captain Walter Laurie was confronted by around 400 American patriots at Concord’s North Bridge. A brief exchange of fire ensued which saw the first instance of Americans firing to deadly effect on British regulars, who were forced to withdraw. Famous American poet Ralph Waldo Emerson called the first shot of this skirmish the “shot heard round the world” in his 1837 poem “Concord Hymn”.*

During the retreat to Boston, British troops were fired upon continuously from hidden positions by Americans, whose numbers kept enhancing as more militiamen kept arriving from neighboring towns. During the course of the battles, the British suffered 273 casualties to the colonists' 95.

The American Revolution, as we all know, was fought to establish American independence from Great Britain. It began proximately as an effort to prevent the British army from seizing Americans' firearms.

A minor point - according to David Hacket Fisher's book Paul Revere's Ride, which is excellent, the patriots challenged the British several times on their retreat from Concord in traditional fighting formations. I had always heard that all American fighting was done from behind trees and walls but this isn't exactly true. Even those shooting from cover had a brutal time because the British sent out patrols on either of their flanks. Read the book, if you haven't already.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 03:31:05 pm »
A minor point - according to David Hacket Fisher's book Paul Revere's Ride, which is excellent, the patriots challenged the British several times on their retreat from Concord in traditional fighting formations. I had always heard that all American fighting was done from behind trees and walls but this isn't exactly true. Even those shooting from cover had a brutal time because the British sent out patrols on either of their flanks. Read the book, if you haven't already.

I live about 40 miles to the north of the battle sites and it's fun to visit if you've never been there. I'll check out the book - thanks.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 03:36:31 pm »
I live about 40 miles to the north of the battle sites and it's fun to visit if you've never been there. I'll check out the book - thanks.
If I got my Eaton ancestral connections right, they had something to do with Power House Rock and a tavern that was a meeting place for the revolutionaries.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 03:56:30 pm »
In a way he's right. It was the gun control of  King George III that led to Concord and Lexington. Remember what those British troops were sent out to do,  seize powder and guns being stored illegally by the colonials.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 06:14:11 pm »
In a way he's right. It was the gun control of  King George III that led to Concord and Lexington. Remember what those British troops were sent out to do,  seize powder and guns being stored illegally by the colonials.
I got the impression he was using the argument that what the Brits were doing was right and that we should continue that practice.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 06:22:55 pm »
All Marxist tyrant wannabes and their acolytes for 'revolution' rewrite history to assuage and justify the iron-fisted tyranny that they want imposed on the bourgeoisie.

True history has to be destroyed and eliminated along with anyone who remembers it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »
Didn't Ed get into hot water talking about "Spunk" with a female employee?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 06:59:50 pm »
Didn't Ed get into hot water talking about "Spunk" with a female employee?

When he said he "hated" it, He was talking about being fastidious. Now if someone else cleans it up....then he was okay with it.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 01:01:45 pm »

Well he is right in a way.  The "attempt" at absolute gun control (confiscation) was the breaking point that caused the "Americans" to form a new nation.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »
Ed...Ed...Ed...

you misspelled "Winchester 73"

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873.html

One of these took the place of 20 men!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:01 pm »
Asner is a very open and even proud Communist. He does not even try to hide or shy away from it.

He seems to have a deep affinity for Russia, for the Russia as it was before Gorbachev. I'm pretty sure he is no fan of Putin. But he does revere Lenin and Stalin. Based on his stated feelings, I'm surprised that he hasn't moved to Russia by now.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 02:06:10 pm »

Also a minor point...the Regulars did not hastily retreat from Lexington Green under intense fire.  They carried the field at Lexington with, I believe no casualties other than a single leg graze wound.

My source:  my visit last fall to the battle sites and two trips to an Appleseed shoot (highly recommended!!!)
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson