Author Topic: Opinion| Don't thank black women for Roy Moore's loss. Fight for us every day.  (Read 753 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Opinion| Don't thank black women for Roy Moore's loss. Fight for us every day.

Black women are often ignored in discussions of politics or our society in general, so it is nice to see credit given where it is due in the case of Doug Jones’ unexpected win in the Alabama Senate race. Jones was carried to victory on the votes of black people — especially black women, who made up 17% of the voting population in Alabama. Around 93% of black men and 98% of black women voted for Doug Jones, showing up to the polls in numbers that almost matched the 2008 election. After the win, many on the left took to social media to thank black women for saving Alabama, and this country, from what would have otherwise been a disastrous loss.

But it is important to realize the obstacles faced by those black women who took the time to show up, too: over 80% of black mothers in America are the sole breadwinners in their household (compared to 40% of white women), yet they make approximately 65 cents on each dollar a white man makes (while white women make 82 cents). Black mothers are dying in childbirth at three times the rate of white mothers. Over 28% of black women live in poverty, compared to only 10.8% of white women. Black women are more likely to die from cancer, to have hypertension, to be sexually assaulted. Black women struggle with all of this, every day, and still — in a state that apparently did everything it could to keep black people from the polls after the U.S. Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act — black women showed up in Alabama to do what was right.

Continued at: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/don-t-thank-black-women-roy-moore-s-loss-fight-ncna829681

Thought the stats here were interesting; though this sounds a lot like Charles Barkley's point of view.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Is voting monolithically something that should be thanked? It seems to me that kind of behavior would be a sign of, you know, either not thinking for yourself, or mass manipulation. Or perhaps both.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bolobaby

Is voting monolithically something that should be thanked? It seems to me that kind of behavior would be a sign of, you know, either not thinking for yourself, or mass manipulation. Or perhaps both.

Racist!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Thinking black women in Alabama and elsewhere, should stop doing whatever they have done to find themselves with 70% plus out of wedlock childbirths, which predictably yield very bad life outcomes.

The "gib me dat" mentality in their community leaves them dependent on government, and political operatives that give them fish.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline bolobaby

Thinking black women in Alabama and elsewhere, should stop doing whatever they have done to find themselves with 70% plus out of wedlock childbirths, which predictably yield very bad life outcomes.

The "gib me dat" mentality in their community leaves them dependent on government, and political operatives that give them fish.

Sexist!

Also, I am officially accusing you of being a pedophile, so now, whenever the press writes about you, it must be as "accused pedophile truth_seeker."
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I must be a rasis because I can think of a time when Black women had it better. (even though it was just 60 years ago I'm thinking about). Obviously, if I wasn't such a RASIS, I would think they never had it better.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:20:33 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

Fight for yourselves.  Gubmint don't give a s___ about you.  They only want your vote, then they'll discard you like a used tampon when the election is over.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:23:50 am by dfwgator »