Author Topic: Opinion: A $40 toll for a 10-mile trip? This is the new infrastructure math  (Read 316 times)

rangerrebew

Opinion: A $40 toll for a 10-mile trip? This is the new infrastructure math

Published: Dec 10, 2017 8:06 a.m. ET

Expect variable pricing and paying a lot more to drive during rush hour

By
John
Rennie Short

Drivers in metro Washington, D.C. are experiencing the new realities of commuting in the U.S., and it’s not pretty: It cost drivers $40 to drive 10 miles on I-66, a main commuter route into the nation’s capital from the western suburbs in Northern Virginia, at one point this week.

Is this the future for private car owners across the U.S.? The answer is yes.

Tolls on public roads aren’t new. But the I-66 toll, which fluctuates based on demand and doesn’t have a ceiling, is by far the most expensive per mile.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-40-toll-for-a-10-mile-trip-this-is-the-new-infrastructure-math-2017-12-07

Offline goatprairie

Several times while driving through Colorada the wife and I have taken the toll road around Denver to avoid the midday traffic congestion. It cost us about 16 dollars. And it was well worth it.  Virtually little traffic  on the toll road.
But forty dollars might be a bridge too far.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Great way to solve the traffic & toll problem in DC is to cut govt spending.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

I remember when I-66 was mostly still a country highway. 

Offline Frank Cannon

a main commuter route into the nation’s capital from the western suburbs in Northern Virginia

LOL. Couldn't happen to a better batch of losers.

BTW, this WON'T be happening everywhere. Know why? Because most commuters are not DC pigs with fat govt' paychecks and will not take routes to work that will bankrupt them.