Author Topic: Why the fuss over adolescent relationships? My grandmother was 15 when she married.  (Read 3247 times)

Silver Pines

I really don't give a rabid rat's ass what anyone thinks, in that most of the accusers here are women, and have never seen dating from a guy's perspective, nor, from the comments are they capable of even trying to. Their maternal instincts have kicked into overdrive, even denying the relative maturity expressed by young ladies then, who were often preparing to marry that fellow from high school.

@Smokin Joe

I've spent my life trying to see things from the perspective of men.  Trying to be fair, to defend them from the attacks of leftwing women.

But what I've seen here has put an end to that, once and for all.   It's become clear to me that some conservative men--mostly of a certain generation---have zero respect for women. 

Offline goodwithagun

Look around at the 30 year olds full of man hate on their second divorce, with a pile of kids, with a full blown drinking (now drugs, too) problem, or who through some other serious personality disorder, never married--pr not for long, and those just a dozen years older with more practice at their particular disqualifying quirk and tell me where his interest would lie? In someone without all that baggage, maybe? While there might be few rare exceptions (nationally, in the day of internet and dating aps), they'd be hard to connect with.
So maybe he sought someone free of well practiced dipsomania, dysfunction, a 'reputation', or the who had the refreshing absence of deep resentments from a prior relationship.

Funny you never raise the question of what she would see in him?

In an age when the differences between 30 and 17 might not be so great in terms of music, culture, and the television shows they'd watched (unlike today where even today's pop culture is so last week), the differences might not be so vast a gulf as to be insurmountable, in fact, far closer than the 'generation gap' of today.
So if he wanted to look for a prospective mate, he'd be wise to look at young women who hadn't developed and ingrained the sort of behaviour that would render them a poor choice, and who were not already married (at least once).
From the accounts of those who were of legal age, the ones I find most credible, he did not make sexual advances. Only those with questionable testimony, forged documents, and such claimed impropriety. The former behaviour is the same sort of 'exploratory' courting which might indicate if a relationship had potential without the carnal entanglements of sexual activity. As has been repeatedly pointed out, observing the proprieties, a date or two either can walk away from unsullied except in the wild imaginations of tongue wagging gossips, a way to remain respectable, unless, of course, viewed through the poison prism of 40 years of "progress" and the gravitational fields of the Washington Post and Liberal Media.

I really don't give a rabid rat's ass what anyone thinks, in that most of the accusers here are women, and have never seen dating from a guy's perspective, nor, from the comments are they capable of even trying to. Their maternal instincts have kicked into overdrive, even denying the relative maturity expressed by young ladies then, who were often preparing to marry that fellow from high school.

So, enough. Count coup on this my last post here on this topic if you must, but you won't change my mind, and I won't change yours.

It is comical so much is being ignored in this, but this isn't why Moore lost. Look at the demographic divisions:

Among white men, Moore got 72%, White women 63% of the vote.
Among Blacks, though, the score was markedly different: Black men 6%, Black Women, 2%

Overall, 68% of the 66% of voters who are white, 4% of the 33% of voters who are black.

That's what shut Moore down at the polls.

Dating 17 year olds had diddley squat to do with it.

My maternal instincts have hit overdrive? Honey, if a 30 something year old man with Morre's credentials had come sniffing around my mom or her three sisters while in their teens, my grandpa would have kicked that man's ass. Perhaps it's not maternal instincts that are an issue here.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

I've spent my life trying to see things from the perspective of men.  Trying to be fair, to defend them from the attacks of leftwing women.

But what I've seen here has put an end to that, once and for all.   It's become clear to me that some conservative men--mostly of a certain generation---have zero respect for women.
I have great respect for women deserving of my respect, just as I have great respect for men so deserving. It isn't a sexist or gender based thing. I am an equal opportunity respecter of those who earn that.

No, not all do, by any stretch. I give a basic amount of credence and respect to all on first meeting, but anyone can rapidly go up or down the scale from there.

I have no respect for those who have no respect for the truth. For those who rush to judgement based on gossip and who propagate such gossip for the destruction of others whom they have decided are worthy of their enmity, often on the thinnest of bases.

There are other people whom I have no respect for, but those have issues of their own, and I will not bother to mention them here.

You may think my comment about 'rejects, retreads, and the town pump' cold and disrespectful toward women, but it is an assessment of generally who is available at 30 in any community--male or female, with rare exception, unless other factors have interrupted their lives and delayed the ordinary process of courting and looking for a mate. College, military service, medical school, law school, are all things which can interfere in that process. For some, dating is just a distraction from their studies at best, and at worst a disruption of their building for their future, provided the relationship even survives the demands of the studious efforts. Those of us who were often working past midnight in labs while in college understand that, in serious contrast to other majors.

People in that category are often few and far between, and that does not mean just because there may be a few present that they will be compatible with any one other individual in that subset of the population.
I have been in my mid 30s on the 'dating scene', and can honestly say, it inspired a manuscript "Notes from the Wasteland: Dating after 30 in Small Town America". When I speak of the dysfunctional, the dipsomaniacs, the otherwise undesirable prospects in the dating world in that age group it is from the experience of meeting a large enough sample to feel relatively knowledgeable. 'Rejects, retreads, and the town pump' were represented.

You don't know one damned thing about me, really, so you don't know me, and you can't possibly know what I think beyond the distorted things you read into it, framed by your own thought pattern.

The WaPo story wasn't 24 hours old before you were calling for Moore's head on a pike, far from enough time for any rebuttal. If you haven't seen the entire buildup in 'sexual' wrongdoing stories and don't think those were done to 'get' Moore, to bury his story in the goo of liberals and Hollywood types being called our for behaviour they really won't suffer for at all, with the exception of getting out of some contracts you aren't paying attention to the typical lead in. You can see the surge developing in the Leftmedia by the elements of the 'next big thing' in series and other shows on television. Yes, it is that apparent. (Has Franken resigned yet?)

I cannot adequately explain my disappointment that you fell for that crap, hook, line, and sinker. But if you feel somehow justified despite the outing of the 'enhanced' signature (complete with "D.A."--his assistant's initials for when she signed for him, likely copied that way), after the revelation of the 'difficulties' the other girl had, (Hint: You can find that writing style in issues of Penthouse Forum, ca 1980, in the letters section where such encounters between what one assumes were consenting adults are written out in the same style and detail), the idea of him taking some young lady to a movie or the drive-in for a burger doesn't seem so evil, especially if it was okay with their parents, and he didn't when it wasn't. After all, there was no claim of any sexual contact from these young ladies.

The whole mall bit was based on a she heard that he heard that he heard type of account, but trying to track it down to  something other than a baseless rumor failed.

It is the same sort of vilification Cruz got from Trump People at TOS, when none would be  bothered with facts, 'just hang the sumbitch', right?

Most disappointing is the willingness to believe the Gloria Allred, WaPo led charge against Moore, pumped by the Left, and all just a few weeks before the election.

So, sorry to disappoint you, m'am, but you got the whole thing wrong. Again. Have a nice day.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
My maternal instincts have hit overdrive? Honey, if a 30 something year old man with Morre's credentials had come sniffing around my mom or her three sisters while in their teens, my grandpa would have kicked that man's ass. Perhaps it's not maternal instincts that are an issue here.
What credentials would those be? West Point Grad? Veteran (including Vietnam)? Law School grad, and Assistant DA?

Yeah, I guess the lawyer bit is kinda hinky.

No one would have had to kick anyone's ass. He asked permission, and when they did say "No." he honored that.

But if threatening unnecessary violent acts on the behalf of others makes you feel better, go for it.

It does help if you spell a man's name right when you vilify him, though.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

As I stated in a previous post, what does a man of that level of education and that life experience see in a teen? They have nothing in common so what would they talk about while sipping chocolate malteds down at the A & P?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Silver Pines

@Smokin Joe

You’re right, I don’t know a thing about you.  All I can do is form an opinion based on what you post here.  And that’s what I’ve done.

Sorry, but the minority who still thinks Moore is innocent is largely made up of hardcore, rabid Trump fans.  You didn’t fall for his line, but you fell for Moore’s, and the denial of reality in order to do so has been right up there with anything I saw during the 2016 primaries and election. 

When you lay out documented, inarguable fact about Moore (unrelated to the sex thing) to one of his supporters, as I did, and the denial is so complete that the response is “Never happened”, you know you’re dealing with pure emotion.  No amount of reason is going to penetrate. 

By the way, where is Moore these days?  Preparing those lawsuits?  I’m sure we’ll hear about it any day now...right?

I’ll try to struggle on despite your disappointment in me.

Silver Pines

@goodwithagun

Imagine a situation in which a teenaged girl comes home from the mall and tells her father, “Dad, this older guy has been hanging around and trying to talk to me.  He wants to date me.”

And Daddy replies, “Well, sweetie, the man probably wants a pure girl, so bring him home and let us meet him!”

Yeah.