Author Topic: What Is the Flu?  (Read 516 times)

rangerrebew

What Is the Flu?
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:01:59 pm »
What Is the Flu?

By Ingrid StrauchMedically Reviewed by Robert Jasmer, MD

Influenza, a viral infection, causes an illness that can range from mild to life-threatening.

Influenza, commonly known as "the flu," is a viral infection of the respiratory tract that affects the nose, throat, and sometimes lungs.

Outbreaks of flu tend to happen annually, at about the same time every year. This period is commonly referred to as "cold and flu season."

https://www.everydayhealth.com/flu/guide/

Offline Applewood

Re: What Is the Flu?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »
Good stuff to know, especially since this year's flu vaccine reportedly is only about 10% effective. 

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:30:09 pm »
When you "get" this year's flu, you will know it by its duration.  Not the worst flu, but it just keeps on giving.

I normally get a flu shot every year, but I did not this year.  So I could not tell anyone about the efficacy of this particular year's vaccination.  And the flu came so early in the season!  Bah, Humbug!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »
When you "get" this year's flu, you will know it by its duration.  Not the worst flu, but it just keeps on giving.

I normally get a flu shot every year, but I did not this year.  So I could not tell anyone about the efficacy of this particular year's vaccination.  And the flu came so early in the season!  Bah, Humbug!

All of my respiratory ailments last weeks, sometimes months.  Usually, it's the cough that won't go away.  I came down with something on November 28 (not sure what it is -- I didn't go to the doctor).  I'm still coughing like an old horse.

I have to get the vaccine every year -- on orders from my cardiologist.  It's not very encouraging to know that this year's vaccine is almost totally worthless.  Apparently, it has something to do with the mutation of this year's virus.  I guess it mutated in a way no one expected.  Every year the powers that be try to guess which strain or strains will be going around and prepare the vaccine so that it is effective against that year's expected strain(s).  Unfortunately, it seems that 99% of the time, they guess wrong. 

Australia already had this year's flu outbreak and it's said that the flu there was brutal.  It's expected we are going to get a similarly bad outbreak.  You're right -- flu season has already started.