Author Topic: Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »
That's the truth of it.   888high58888

No, no it's not @Sanguine   Not "playing romance games" on the job is a bit player in the harassment games.

In today's workplace it's not just pursuing romance that's verboten, it's anything that makes a female "uncomfortable". And this is ever changing and includes jokes (even ones overheard), photos on display (imagine that during WWII), glances, tone of voice, any touch, any form of "creepiness", being left out of a meeting, being included in a meeting.

Today's workplace is a madhouse.  And this #metoo  :bs: --- with no statute of limitations and no personal responsibilities --- has made it worse.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:41:28 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 09:41:00 pm »
She is violent.  but thats acceptable for women to joke about hitting men.  If a man joked about hitting women then it would be a crime.

Yeah, that's me all right.   *****rollingeyes*****

@driftdiver, it's an emoticon!  But I will freely admit, statements like the one I'm quoting here do make me feel quite violent. 

And, the slapping emoticon is obviously for situations where men have gotten fresh and women, not wanting to appear to be victims and desiring to put an end to the manhandling immediately, slap the offender, as I've seen recommended here in those unfortunate situations.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »
If the women were really smart they'd be using their feminine wiles to get the men to do their work for them and look for a man to have a relationship with who isn't such a sucker elsewhere.   :tongue2:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:43:17 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 09:43:26 pm »
No, no it's not @Sanguine   Not "playing romance games" on the job is a bit player in the harassment games.

In today's workplace it's not just pursuing romance that's verboten, it's anything that makes a female "uncomfortable". And this is ever changing and includes jokes (even ones overheard), photos on display (imagine that during WWII), glances, tone of voice, any touch, any form of "creepiness", being left out of a meeting, being included in a meeting.

Today's workplace is a madhouse.  And this #metoo  :bs: --- with no statute of limitations and no personal responsibilities --- has made it worse.

I didn't make the statement, go after the original comment.  Or, even better, don't.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 09:48:02 pm »
I remember during my corporate years, when smart guys and gals would not risk their professional careers, playing romance games on the job.

After I left, I learned my boss and my subordinate had been having afair. They kept it private until both had left the company.

A few years later they married, and remained so until he died a couple of year ago. Two CPAs and corporate finance officers btw.

At a company I used to work for, they ran a report that would try to match up addresses of employees who weren't married.

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:48 pm »
I didn't make the statement, go after the original comment.  Or, even better, don't.

I responded to your agreeing with it @Sanguine   You bolded it and posted:  "That's the truth of it"

Do you even know what you're posting?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:11 pm »
Yeah, that's me all right.   *****rollingeyes*****

@driftdiver, it's an emoticon!  But I will freely admit, statements like the one I'm quoting here do make me feel quite violent. 

And, the slapping emoticon is obviously for situations where men have gotten fresh and women, not wanting to appear to be victims and desiring to put an end to the manhandling immediately, slap the offender, as I've seen recommended here in those unfortunate situations.

I wish we could get back to slapping the offending party.  It would be better for both than dragging HR into it, really.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:55 pm »

I have to agree with this, it's not about "workplace romance" any more.  It's the list you mentioned, and it's been that way in corporate America for at least a quarter century.  What's new is the tactic of avoidance is now being called "creating a hostile environment," so one can no long protect oneself by hiding anymore
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:02:10 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 10:03:28 pm »
At a company I used to work for, they ran a report that would try to match up addresses of employees who weren't married.

Was that intended to identify those that were "living in sin?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 10:22:27 pm »
Was that intended to identify those that were "living in sin?"

They're probably trying to identify potential hot-spots, but it seems rather intrusive to me, and could open the employer up to some negative legal reaction.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 10:33:15 pm »
I have to agree with this, it's not about "workplace romance" any more.  It's the list you mentioned, and it's been that way in corporate America for at least a quarter century.  What's new is the tactic of avoidance is now being called "creating a hostile environment," so one can no long protect oneself by hiding anymore

Nonsense.  Just so much hyperventilating.  If I worked at a place like the one described, I would have been outta there long ago.  I mean really?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 10:53:50 pm »
Nonsense.  Just so much hyperventilating.  If I worked at a place like the one described, I would have been outta there long ago.  I mean really?

It's really true.  And, when you do what I do for a living, there aren't a lot of alternative workplaces.  How many companies have R&D departments for making chips?  A fab, where they manufacture the chips, runs in the hundreds of millions of dollars to operate.  When they eventually get around to laying me off, it's time for a new career.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 10:58:45 pm »
It's really true.  And, when you do what I do for a living, there aren't a lot of alternative workplaces.  How many companies have R&D departments for making chips?  A fab, where they manufacture the chips, runs in the hundreds of millions of dollars to operate.  When they eventually get around to laying me off, it's time for a new career.

A "madhouse"? 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 11:11:45 pm »
A "madhouse"?

No, I wouldn't call it a "madhouse," but it's definitely a place you have to keep your head down lest it be blown off.  Unless you look like Brad Pitt or Fabio, then you never need to worry about being accused of harassment because everybody would want a taste of that.  We were warned in the Harassment classes good-looking guys are pretty much exempt.  Being from at least High School, I was pretty familiar with that concept.

Since I don't have that advantage, I have learned to be wary of any of my female (or gay) coworkers.  Its not their fault, but it's a fact of life.  I wish it wasn't so.  I wish I was born good-looking instead of just rich...lol.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:13:24 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 12:20:43 am »
No, I wouldn't call it a "madhouse," but it's definitely a place you have to keep your head down lest it be blown off.  Unless you look like Brad Pitt or Fabio, then you never need to worry about being accused of harassment because everybody would want a taste of that.  We were warned in the Harassment classes good-looking guys are pretty much exempt.  Being from at least High School, I was pretty familiar with that concept.

Since I don't have that advantage, I have learned to be wary of any of my female (or gay) coworkers.  Its not their fault, but it's a fact of life.  I wish it wasn't so.  I wish I was born good-looking instead of just rich...lol.

So that you could harrass without getting in trouble?  :laugh:

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 12:28:20 am »

Yes, really. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 12:42:34 am »

Dammit!  I wish I'd have thought of that.  You and that @Frank Cannon are always one step ahead of me!

Surely I would have, given that license.  They would all be at my feet.  But it was not to be.  I look like this.

I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 12:54:09 am »

It works for me.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 12:59:16 am »
It works for me.

Pisses me off that all these years I failed to consider the harassment classes as I did the Drug Awareness classes back in Middle School.  I considered those a "how-to" class so I would know how to deal with my dealers.  "You call this a 'Lid'?  Screw you!  Get a GD scale!  Wait...use mine...."
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:21 am »
Maybe companies should have HR departments staffed entirely with women. With none in any other departments.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:40 am »
Pisses me off that all these years I failed to consider the harassment classes as I did the Drug Awareness classes back in Middle School.  I considered those a "how-to" class so I would know how to deal with my dealers.  "You call this a 'Lid'?  Screw you!  Get a GD scale!  Wait...use mine...."

First rule of moderate street drug purchasing. Use your own scale....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 01:08:32 am »
Maybe companies should have HR departments staffed entirely with women. With none in any other departments.

That would suck.  Especially after all their periods get in sync after a year or so.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:43 am »
First rule of moderate street drug purchasing. Use your own scale....

Duh.  Didn't take me long to catch on about that.  The term "pinching" also entered my lexicon about that time...
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 01:11:22 am »
That would suck.  Especially after all their periods get in sync after a year or so.

comon. There would be so much infighting in HR everyone else could actually get some work done and NO ONE would ever want to involve HR. Period.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2017, 01:14:10 am »
comon. There would be so much infighting in HR everyone else could actually get some work done and NO ONE would ever want to involve HR. Period.

For about five days a month.  Other than that it will be Hell to pay.  Period.   :rolling:
I will NOT comply.