Author Topic: Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?  (Read 3121 times)

rangerrebew

Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?
« on: December 11, 2017, 11:12:40 am »

Dec 11, 12:47 AM EST

Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?

By JENNIFER PELTZ
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- Some women, and men, worry the same climate that's emboldening women to speak up about sexual misconduct could backfire by making some men wary of female colleagues.

Forget private meetings and get-to-know-you dinners. Beware of banter. Think twice before a high-ranking man mentors a young female staffer.

"I have already heard the rumblings of a backlash: 'This is why you shouldn't hire women,'" Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg wrote in a recent post .

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APFN_US_SEXUAL_MISCONDUCT_FEAR_OF_BACKLASH_ILOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Online DB

Re: Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:58:57 am »
When your livelihood is one complaint from doom, no evidence required and no appeal, it does make one very hesitant to take the risk.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:25 pm »
Without a clear definition of "misconduct", women's responsibilities as well as men's and a statute of limitations on reporting the misconduct, the short answer is "yes".

And then women will sue under discrimination.

This mess will only get worse before it gets better.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:41:53 pm »
Gee, put people in situations where they're screwed either way. What could possibly go wrong?!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 02:33:57 pm »
I was accused of assaulting a female co-worker this fall.

She was fired by the 2 females who own the company.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:00:48 pm »
The downside of the #MeToo movement starting to dawn on women
American Thinker, Dec 11, 2017, Thomas Lifson

The rules of interaction between women and men in the workplace have been changed with a suddenness that inevitably produces unforeseen negative consequences, no matter how positive and necessary the switch might be. The Associated Press this morning runs a feature article whose title asks a question that answers itself: “Will misconduct scandals make men wary of women at work?”

Duh! The careers of men are being destroyed on the basis of accusations alone, so of course we worry. While there is no ambiguity over Weinstein-like criminal behavior, there is a spectrum of behavior that women potentially can find objectionable, and at the other of the scale from Weinstein there is a lot of potential for career-ending misunderstanding.  For all we know, a greeting like, “Good morning! That’s a lovely outfit” could be the basis of a complaint to HR. The AP’s Jennifer Peltz appreciates this in her article:

More: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/12/the_downside_of_the_metoo_movement_starting_to_dawn_on_women.html

Online LMAO

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:54:03 pm »
It’s in our nature to take the path of least resistance and to void anything that would cause harm or grief to us

I read a while back about  police in urban areas are no longer taking an active role in policing. I can see the same phenomenon  eventually happening in business, male female interaction etc. etc.

A man will figure out eventually that he doesn’t need to compliment women but he needs to keep his job. When and if that day comes women will wonder what the hell is wrong with men these days
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:13:01 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 07:03:21 pm »
I've been on the receiving end of a false complaint over 20 years ago while working at a shipping company. One of the other supervisors was aggressively trying to get me to dump my girlfriend and date her. When it became clear that wasn't going to happen, she filed a sexual harassment claim. No kidding.

Luckily, the facility manager knew what was going on. He had seen her pursuing me relentlessly.

BUT...

Because the complaint was filed, I still had to endure eight hours of sexual harassment training, "as a matter of procedure." Everyone knew it was BS, but I still suffered. Moreover, it was in my employee file, so it could have later been used to establish a "pattern of behavior."

Such bullcrap.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:06:56 pm »
I've been on the receiving end of a false complaint over 20 years ago while working at a shipping company. One of the other supervisors was aggressively trying to get me to dump my girlfriend and date her. When it became clear that wasn't going to happen, she filed a sexual harassment claim. No kidding.

Luckily, the facility manager knew what was going on. He had seen her pursuing me relentlessly.

BUT...

Because the complaint was filed, I still had to endure eight hours of sexual harassment training, "as a matter of procedure." Everyone knew it was BS, but I still suffered. Moreover, it was in my employee file, so it could have later been used to establish a "pattern of behavior."

Such bullcrap.

Don't hire women, problem solved. 

(Yes, I'm joking, but the thought is going to enter some hiring managers' minds)

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:37 pm »
. . .  BUT...

Because the complaint was filed, I still had to endure eight hours of sexual harassment training, "as a matter of procedure." Everyone knew it was BS, but I still suffered. Moreover, it was in my employee file, so it could have later been used to establish a "pattern of behavior."  Such bullcrap.

Just curious @bolobaby did the woman also have to endure sexual harassment training?

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 07:56:40 pm »
Just curious @bolobaby did the woman also have to endure sexual harassment training?

Ha - no, of course not.

One thing I've discovered in corporate America: the first to complain is ALWAYS the aggrieved party, regardless of facts. Want bonus points? If you are a woman, CRY and the guy will automatically lose the argument.

Sad, but true.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:58 pm »

BUT...

Such bullcrap.

Been there myself.  women get away with the foulest behavior and everyones afraid to make an issue of it,
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:20:58 pm »
Been there myself.  women get away with the foulest behavior and everyones afraid to make an issue of it,

A woman I worked with at a major cable company had male swimsuit model wallpaper on her computer. No one ever said a word to her about removing it, although all the guys privately said, "Oh, crap - could you imagine if I had women in swimsuits as wallpaper? End of the world!"
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 08:30:45 pm »
Yes, women are bad, they shouldn't be hired, and every one of them will ensnare you with their feminine wiles, given the chance. 

Sheesh!   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 08:49:20 pm »
Yes, women are bad, they shouldn't be hired, and every one of them will ensnare you with their feminine wiles, given the chance. 

Hmmm... I'm having trouble finding that sentiment in the source material or in the comments...

Typical female overreaction, I guess! ;-)
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 08:56:10 pm »

@Sanguine
Yes, yes they are.  Bout time you admitted it.

/s

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 08:59:22 pm »
I remember during my corporate years, when smart guys and gals would not risk their professional careers, playing romance games on the job.

After I left, I learned my boss and my subordinate had been having afair. They kept it private until both had left the company.

A few years later they married, and remained so until he died a couple of year ago. Two CPAs and corporate finance officers btw.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »
Fortunately for me they laid off all the women I worked with.  Unfortunately, they laid everybody else off too, leaving me alone and carrying all the work.  Can't win. :shrug:

Merry Christmas to me!   :tree3:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »
Hmmm... I'm having trouble finding that sentiment in the source material or in the comments...

Typical female overreaction, I guess! ;-)

Typical male avoidance of issues... 22222frying pan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:18 pm »
I remember during my corporate years, when smart guys and gals would not risk their professional careers, playing romance games on the job.

After I left, I learned my boss and my subordinate had been having afair. They kept it private until both had left the company.

A few years later they married, and remained so until he died a couple of year ago. Two CPAs and corporate finance officers btw.

That's the truth of it.   888high58888

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:59 pm »
@Sanguine
Yes, yes they are.  Bout time you admitted it.

/s

****slapping 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »
Typical male avoidance of issues... 22222frying pan

Issues?  What issues?  :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 09:27:28 pm »
****slapping

@Sanguine
 :tongue2: :silly: :silly:

Of course not all women are that bad, most aren't.   Enough are to cause significant problems in the workplace though.  Those that are bad force companies to manage to the lowest common denominator.  They also hurt the good women because men end up defensive out of self preservation.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 09:27:55 pm »

22222frying pan
 ****slapping

We need to have a talk about your violent tendencies. :whistle:
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 09:31:32 pm »
We need to have a talk about your violent tendencies. :whistle:

She is violent.  but thats acceptable for women to joke about hitting men.  If a man joked about hitting women then it would be a crime.