Author Topic: Steven Moffat defends his casting of male Doctor Who as he says: 'This isn’t a show exclusively for  (Read 838 times)

Offline Suppressed

Steven Moffat defends his casting of male Doctor Who as he says: 'This isn’t a show exclusively for progressive liberals'
 Stephen Walter • 4 DECEMBER 2017 • 12:01AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/04/steven-moffat-defends-casting-male-doctor-says-isnt-show-exclusively/

Steven Moffat believes now is the time for a female Time Lord CREDIT:  JAY WILLIAMS

Outgoing Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat has defended his decision to delay the introduction of a female lead by saying the show isn’t around to pander to “progressive liberals”. 

This year's Christmas special will mark both his and actor Peter Capaldi's departure from the popular BBC sci-fi series, which he has worked on since 2009. 

Viewers will instead be tuning in to get a glimpse of the first female Time Lord, played by Broadchurch star Jodie Whittaker, whose casting was first announced in the summer following calls to ditch the tradition of having a male Doctor. 

[...]

Admitting he had no regrets over that decision, he did say he was worried about the show’s “Daily Mail-reading viewers” complaining that it wouldn’t be the same person, before adding: “This isn’t a show exclusively for progressive liberals; this is also for people who voted Brexit. That’s not me politically at all - but we have to keep everyone on board.” 

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn