Author Topic: Student’s Lucky Find Worth £145,000 Is Rewriting Anglo-Saxon History  (Read 659 times)

rangerrebew

The gold pendant found in the soil.
8 December, 2017 - 18:50 Alicia McDermott
Student’s Lucky Find Worth £145,000 Is Rewriting Anglo-Saxon History

A student in Norfolk probably never imagined that his discovery of a female skeleton wearing a pendant could rewrite Anglo Saxon history – but researchers say that the “exquisite” gold piece is doing just that.

According to The Telegraph , “The find of the female skeleton wearing a pendant of gold imported from Sri Lanka and coins bearing the marks of a continental king is prompting a fundamental reassessment of the seats of power in Anglo Saxon England.”

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/student-s-lucky-find-worth-145000-rewriting-anglo-saxon-history-009248

Offline Suppressed

gold imported from Sri Lanka

That sort of global trade at that time always stuns me.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
--Item got to Britain during Roman times
--Silk Road
--Alexander the Great traveled far to the East
--Unknown travelers from the East to the West
--Possibly even Vikings, who sailed down the rivers to Russia to serve as guards for the Byzantine Empire
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:33:28 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

--Item got to Britain during Roman times
--Silk Road
--Alexander the Great traveled far to the East
--Unknown travelers from the East to the West
--Possibly even Vikings, who sailed down the rivers to Russia to serve as guards for the Byzantine Empire

east
--

I know.  It still stuns me.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn