Author Topic: Against One-Thingism  (Read 396 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Against One-Thingism
« on: December 09, 2017, 04:46:56 am »
Politics isn’t life — or, at least, it shouldn’t be.
By Jonah Goldberg
http://www.nationalreview.com/g-file/454490/roy-moore-politics-life-against-one-thingism

. . . It is a hallmark of a modern and free society that you can divide up your loyalties and passions.
It’s only when you’re in a life-or-death struggle that one-thingism makes any sense. In a zombie apocalypse,
keeping your children or spouse alive is an acceptable One Thing. In a totalitarian regime, revolution could
be an acceptable One Thing. But in a free and prosperous society, the route to real meaning and happiness
is Many Things . . .

Speaking of bat-guano crazy politics, let me change gears. Last year, Kevin Williamson wrote a post in the
Corner titled “Remember, You Asked for This.” It was about the decision to nominate Donald Trump.

Well, I want to offer something similar. Right now, it looks like Roy Moore will be elected the next senator
from Alabama. Because Donald Trump endorsed him, the Republican National Committee is once again
helping to fund Moore’s campaign, and Steve Bannon is praising him as a man of great integrity while
denigrating Mitt Romney, a mensch who flushes more integrity down the toilet every morning than Bannon
has displayed since becoming a blood-and-soil Jeremiah.

You can forget the sexual allegations against Moore — though you can be sure no one else will, because
the Democrats and the media will be reminding voters about it constantly. Forget the fact that Moore is
a grifter and huckster who claims America is evil and had 9/11 coming but that we were great when
slavery was legal
. Put aside all the arguments about how “we” need his vote or that Republicans shouldn’t
unilaterally disarm.

The simple fact is this guy, if elected, will be a disaster for Trump, conservatives, and the GOP alike —
even if he votes in partisan lockstep with the Trump agenda. The mere act of him voting for good legislation
will make it harder for some senators to vote for it. Moore will say stupid, offensive, and bigoted things —
and every Republican, starting with Trump himself, will be asked to respond.

Moore voters in Alabama, of course, will deserve much of the blame, but so will a large coalition of national
Republicans — starting with Donald Trump — as well as cable-news and talk-radio boosters and rationalizers,
and of course Bannon himself, who let this world-historic cock-up happen based on a potted theory that Mitch
McConnell is an enemy or that you can build a “nationalist” movement around a credibly accused child
molester and theocratic bigot and constitutional illiterate.

In short, you asked for this. You know who you are, and if you don’t, you should prepare to be reminded in
the months to come . . .
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:13:22 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LMAO

Re: Against One-Thingism
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:30:21 am »
Flame away, but I cannot believe that conservatives that favor a limited,federal government actually are standing behind this guy(Moore)as a voice for conservatism
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:37:54 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy