Author Topic: Storytellers promoted cooperation among hunter-gatherers before advent of religion  (Read 562 times)

rangerrebew

Storytellers promoted cooperation among hunter-gatherers before advent of religion
12/05/2017 06:00:00 PM

The research shows that hunter-gatherer storytellers were essential in promoting co-operative and egalitarian values before comparable mechanisms evolved in larger agricultural societies, such as moralising high-gods.

Storytellers were also more popular than even the best foragers, had greater reproductive success, and were more likely to be co-operated with by other members of the camp, according to the research published in Nature Communications.

Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2017/12/storytellers-promoted-cooperation-among.html#tEQXbmQB1w8IztSc.99

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Archaeology, Anthropology are usually involved in the historical novels by James Michener.

His 1965 book titled "The Source," was about the history of the Jewish people. It deals extensively with the changes from polytheism to monotheism, by the people of the region. 

By that time those people were farmers, advanced from hunter-gathers.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Storytellers were also more popular than even the best foragers, had greater reproductive success, and were more likely to be co-operated with by other members of the camp, according to the research published in Nature Communications.

So, big-shot Hollywood producers are the modern equivalent of the ancient Storytellers.  Says a lot:  He have not progressed as a species in tens of thousands of years.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

So, big-shot Hollywood producers are the modern equivalent of the ancient Storytellers.  Says a lot:  He have not progressed as a species in tens of thousands of years.

While I agree with your conclusion, I question how they derive this information, from a group with no extant evidence beyond crude paintings on the walls of caves.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
While I agree with your conclusion, I question how they derive this information, from a group with no extant evidence beyond crude paintings on the walls of caves.

I was going to point out there's a little more to that, there's "Oral History," but then I realized they're  "Storytellers," and they would naturally declare themselves the kings of the boudoir. :shrug:

I think we need @Frank Cannon's expert opinion on this....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

I was going to point out there's a little more to that, there's "Oral History," but then I realized they're  "Storytellers," and they would naturally declare themselves the kings of the boudoir. :shrug:

I think we need @Frank Cannon's expert opinion on this....

LOL! But of course!  as an aside, part of my take on history (most of it in fact) derives from examination of bardic lore - You'll have an entirely different look on things studying the stuff that was popular in the bawdy houses, in comparison to 'collegiate historians'. An eye-opener, if you'd care to spend the time.