Author Topic: Calif. survivor of Bataan Death March tells what it was like  (Read 578 times)

rangerrebew

Calif. survivor of Bataan Death March tells what it was like
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:33:13 am »

Calif. survivor of Bataan Death March tells what it was like

By DIANA SHOLLEY | Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, Ontario, Calif. | Published: November 11, 2013

RANCHO CUCAMONGA — Raymond Lujan Vasquez rarely sleeps through the night.

Sights and sounds of the murders, rapes, torture and general barbarism he witnessed during his Army tour in World War II keep the 87-year-old Rancho Cucamonga resident awake and tormented.

Vasquez, 16 at the time, along with more than 75,000 starving, sick and dehydrated prisoners of war, started out on the 65-mile trek to a prison camp in Tarlac Province, Philippines, that would come to be known as the Bataan Death March.

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/calif-survivor-of-bataan-death-march-tells-what-it-was-like-1.252326

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Calif. survivor of Bataan Death March tells what it was like
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 02:33:41 pm »
An uncle who recently passed also survived that march.  He had health problems all of his life stemming from tropical diseases that American doctors had little to no experience treating initially. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Calif. survivor of Bataan Death March tells what it was like
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:16:11 am »
Rose wrote:
"An uncle who recently passed also survived that march.  He had health problems all of his life stemming from tropical diseases that American doctors had little to no experience treating initially."

I had an uncle who was in the march, too.
He had malaria "over there", and I believe it bothered him at times in later life, as well.
He did get invited back as a guest of the Philippine government at one point...