Author Topic: Sen. Cornyn offers a deal: protect “Dreamers” in exchange for harsh immigration curbs  (Read 1377 times)

rangerrebew

Sen. Cornyn offers a deal: protect “Dreamers” in exchange for harsh immigration curbs

By Bill Lambrecht, Washington Bureau
December 5, 2017 Updated: December 5, 2017 6:56pm

WASHINGTON — Texas Sen. John Cornyn and GOP colleagues Tuesday offered a set of aggressive immigration curbs in return for signing on to protections by year’s end for some 800,000 young undocumented immigrants subject to deportation in three months.

Meanwhile, U.S. Rep. Will Hurd joined 33 other Republican House members pressing Speaker Paul Ryan to swiftly find a solution to the precarious status of the young people subject to deportation in March because of President Donald Trump’s order ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA).

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loca...s-12408034.php

Offline RetBobbyMI

Cornyn...go suck up some Texas pond water.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The posted link was broken, so I can't comment on the exact proposal, but conceptually this seems like a sound idea -  get the tools needed to address illegal immigration in exchange for normalizing the situation of the "dreamers".   

But let's not conflate the issues of legal and illegal immigration.   The latter can no longer be tolerated but the former is essential for economic growth. 

We need to re-orient our legal immigration policies to prioritize skills that the economy needs, not family reunification.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:25:50 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RetBobbyMI

The posted link was broken, so I can't comment on the exact proposal, but conceptually this seems like a sound idea -  get the tools needed to address illegal immigration in exchange for normalizing the situation of the "dreamers".   

But let's not conflate the issues of legal and illegal immigration.   The latter can no longer be tolerated but the former is essential for economic growth.
No exchange or quid pro quo or whatever. Let the merits of a proposal stand on its own. If Congress has to make trades up front, before consideration, then there is something not right with it.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
No exchange or quid pro quo or whatever. Let the merits of a proposal stand on its own. If Congress has to make trades up front, before consideration, then there is something not right with it.

That's not how legislation gets done in the real world.   One side gets what it needs in exchange for the other side getting what it needs.    The Dems get DACA and the GOP gets immigration reform.   That strikes me on balance as a win for the GOP, especially since the "dreamers" need to qualify for relief by showing they have the earmarks of being good members of the community.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Offline endicom

The posted link was broken, so I can't comment on the exact proposal, but conceptually this seems like a sound idea...

The problem is that we get factually burned on these conceptually sound immigration deals. Why trust Cornyn this time?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

The problem is that we get factually burned on these conceptually sound immigration deals. Why trust Cornyn this time?

Have you read the proposal? 

Offline endicom

Have you read the proposal?

No. Could I hope to understand the proposal and how it fits in with existing regulation?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Sounds like a good deal -  enhanced resources for border enforcement;  curbs on sanctuary cities;  changes to limit "chain migration".

If we could get those reforms in exchange for giving the Dems what they want on the "dreamers",  I say go for it.   

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No "deals".
Not now.
Not ever.
Haven't we been through this before?

Offline RetBobbyMI

No "deals".
Not now.
Not ever.
Agree. Capitulation by the GOPe is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Offline Frank Cannon

Sounds like a good deal -  enhanced resources for border enforcement;  curbs on sanctuary cities;  changes to limit "chain migration".

All of those things are illegal now and we do nothing. Jerks like Cornyn and Schumer could have a shoot to kill policy on the border enacted and nothing will happen because it will be ignored just like the laws on the books now.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Just post these along the border facing out. If the reader can’t understand English they’ll soon learn quickly.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
No "deals".
Not now.
Not ever.

No deals mean nothing gets done.

People with this attitude are truly idiots.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No deals mean nothing gets done.

People with this attitude are truly idiots.

I thought it was a reasonable proposition at first, but when I saw your explanation of it I realized my error, and now I don't like the deal at all.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:14:22 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
All of those things are illegal now and we do nothing. Jerks like Cornyn and Schumer could have a shoot to kill policy on the border enacted and nothing will happen because it will be ignored just like the laws on the books now.

Bingo.  Have a cigar.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

Sure, just give 'me amnesty, just this once, and we promise we will strengthen our illegal immigration laws.

Just like last time.....

No Dice, amigo.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sure, just give 'me amnesty, just this once, and we promise we will strengthen our illegal immigration laws.

Just like last time.....

No Dice, amigo.

! No longer available
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien