Author Topic: Plant-based “meat” is so tasty that Europe’s meat industry has to bite back  (Read 1128 times)

Offline RoosGirl

THE “kapsalon” is a healthy mix of chips, melted Gouda cheese, shawarma, lettuce and garlic sauce and is a tried and tested hangover cure in the Netherlands. So naturally, a butcher’s shop on the Spui, in The Hague, put it on its takeaway menu, alongside burgers and sausage rolls. As two young women walk out, tucking into their steaming kapsalons, an elderly gentleman asks how to prepare the steak he has just bought. The scene would have most carnivores fooled. For this butcher deals only in meatless “meat”.

The firm sells a variety of foods, ranging from minced meat to prawns, through 3,500 sales points in 15 countries (the bulk of them are in Dutch supermarkets) and has annual revenues of €12m ($14.2m). One in five sausage rolls sold in Albert Heijn, the Netherlands’ largest supermarket chain, comes from the veggie butcher. Mr Korteweg says he wants to make factory farming obsolete by “seducing meat-lovers” without inflicting suffering on animals and damage to the environment by feeding livestock.

Continued -
https://www.economist.com/news/business/21731869-dutch-vegetarian-butcher-latest-come-under-attack-its-labelling-plant-based-meat

Offline Frank Cannon

The Netherlands isn't a real place. I doubt any half assed ideas they have will take off where real people live.

Offline RoosGirl

The Netherlands isn't a real place. I doubt any half assed ideas they have will take off where real people live.

I was getting ready to argue with you, but then I remember that Mads Mikkelsen was from Denmark, so you're right.

Offline Suppressed

If this becomes universal, it would cut down on the nasty suffering from all the halal shawarma places.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

I was getting ready to argue with you, but then I remember that Mads Mikkelsen was from Denmark, so you're right.

The Dutch only ever got one thing right and that is all......

Offline RoosGirl

They put the wrong leg in the wrong socket on her.

Offline Frank Cannon

They put the wrong leg in the wrong socket on her.

If you're gonna keep busting on Famke, double secret ignore is in your future.

Offline RoosGirl

If you're gonna keep busting on Famke, double secret ignore is in your future.

How do you pronounce "Famke"?

Anyway, I'm not busting on her, just whoever built her.

Offline Frank Cannon

Well that would be the Dutch and yes, they do have serious quality control issues.

Offline Suppressed

I could name a few more...

Doutzen Kroes

Daniella van Graas

Tamara Slijkhuis

and best of all, Queen Wilhelmina...who was a great leader through the wars and other crises...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Cannon

I could name a few more...

Are you just naming people in their phone book? No one has ever heard of any of those people.

Offline Suppressed

Are you just naming people in their phone book? No one has ever heard of any of those people.

You callin' me a nobody?!
+++++++++

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
How do you pronounce "Famke"?

It's pronounced 'Fahm-kuh.'  Speaking of whoever 'built' her.....the part she played on Nip/Tuck killed my attraction for her from Goldeneye.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

You callin' me a nobody?!

If your Dutch.....then yes.