Author Topic: THE “GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN” FRAUD  (Read 866 times)

Offline endicom

THE “GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN” FRAUD
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:57:56 am »
Power Line
Steven Hayward
Dec. 6, 2017

The press is starting to beat the usual drums about the horror of a possible “government shutdown” Friday night if Congress can’t pass a budget or a stopgap spending bill. This does seems slightly unusual in that Republicans control both Congress and the executive branch, so what is there to fight about, unlike previous showdowns that pitted a Republican Congress against a Democratic president. I guess the Senate needs some Democratic votes, though I’m not much impressed with this problem.

This really is fake news of the highest order. Imagine: if the federal government runs out of money at midnight on Friday, the mail will stop being delivered, Social Security checks won’t go out, the military will stop fighting our enemies, the TSA will stop frisking grandma at the airport, local police won’t patrol the streets, public schools will close. . . Oh, wait: none of that will happen.

More...  http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/12/the-government-shutdown-fraud.php

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: THE “GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN” FRAUD
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:59:18 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:15:24 am »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, let's tell the truth and not go through another farce like seeing more park rangers than we knew existed when the parks were closed to the public.

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:05:20 am »

Yeah, let's tell the truth and not go through another farce like seeing more park rangers than we knew existed when the parks were closed to the public.

Up front: I work for a Government department.  If there is a shutdown, you're right.  Look for national parks and monuments to be closed first.  They're the most visible.  We, the rank and file, may be sent home for a few days until Congress gets its $#!+ together (then again that may take forever), and we'll suddenly be called back, and we'll get paid for the time we were out. The work we do won't get done while we're out (illegal to work causing an obligation against the Treasury), but eventually we'll be back to normal.  The system sucks and I really wish our Congressional masters would get on the ball.
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:28:04 am »
Up front: I work for a Government department.  If there is a shutdown, you're right.  Look for national parks and monuments to be closed first.  They're the most visible.  We, the rank and file, may be sent home for a few days until Congress gets its $#!+ together (then again that may take forever), and we'll suddenly be called back, and we'll get paid for the time we were out. The work we do won't get done while we're out (illegal to work causing an obligation against the Treasury), but eventually we'll be back to normal.  The system sucks and I really wish our Congressional masters would get on the ball.

That thing with the parks was absurd. If the parks people were on hand to keep the citizens out of the parks then why were the parks closed?

Offline Major Confusion

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:51:11 am »

That thing with the parks was absurd. If the parks people were on hand to keep the citizens out of the parks then why were the parks closed?

Because during a shutdown you can't do anything that creates an obligation for the government.  It's called the Ant-Defiency Act and it's one of the punitive acts.  When we were furloughed in 2013 we were expressly forbidden from even looking at work email.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:52:29 am by Major Confusion »

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:01:31 am »
Because during a shutdown you can't do anything that creates an obligation for the government.  It's called the Ant-Defiency Act and it's one of the punitive acts.  When we were furloughed in 2013 we were expressly forbidden from even looking at work email.

But the parks people were working in keeping the citizens out of the parks.

Offline Major Confusion

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:56:38 am »
But the parks people were working in keeping the citizens out of the parks.

There are always exceptions. During the long shutdown a couple of years back, we had several people who were declared mission essential and had to work.  We also had people who were paid from multiple year appropriations who had to work.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:54:01 pm »

@Major Confusion

Up Front: If you are employed by the government in any non-essential capacity you would soon be looking for another job if I had anything to say about it!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Major Confusion

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 06:06:26 pm »
@Major Confusion

Up Front: If you are employed by the government in any non-essential capacity you would soon be looking for another job if I had anything to say about it!

The government department I work for has an oddly-shaped headquarters.  You've probably seen it on TV or in the movies.  But thanks for your opinion.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 06:09:10 pm »
Won't Trump control what is and is not shut down? I know if I were President some things would have priority over others...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:10:02 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:35 pm »
The government department I work for has an oddly-shaped headquarters.  You've probably seen it on TV or in the movies.  But thanks for your opinion.

I've actually been in that oddly shaped building a few times. But never as a non-essential employee.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:40 pm »

You don't know what that term means. I am considered non-essential but if I am not here, payroll can fail and no one gets paid. I don't get a real vacation. I have to work because things run under my name. 

Non-essential means more like "If it snows, you won't get paid if you come in". Only people deemed essential will get overtime for coming in during an Authorized Closing. But you still need to get your work done.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Major Confusion

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:25:35 pm »
I've actually been in that oddly shaped building a few times. But never as a non-essential employee.

Then I guess we have that in common!

:patriot:

Offline Major Confusion

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:28:12 pm »
Won't Trump control what is and is not shut down? I know if I were President some things would have priority over others...

Agencies have some discretion as far as declaring people mission-essential.  But if you're not mission essential, you're legally prohibited from working.  In the 1995 shutdown, I had to sign a letter that said I understood I could be prosecuted for doing unauthorized work during the furlough period.  I went home and spent a few days fixing up stuff in my house and looking at private sector opportunities.