Author Topic: Gun maker’s exploding rifle leaves trail of injured hunters  (Read 643 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
https://apnews.com/adbc910fa9064d4fbdeab57f5157d861/Gun-maker's-exploding-rifle-leaves-trail-of-injured-hunters

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — It was the opening day of deer hunting season, and Ronald Hansen says he loaded his rifle the same way he had countless times before, aimed at a target and fired a shot.

This time, the gun barrel exploded, knocking the farmer from Hampton, Iowa, backward, severely damaging his right hand and ear and burning his face.

Unknown to Hansen, the manufacturer of the rifle that injured him in 2014 had received other complaints of explosions and injuries over the prior decade. Customers repeatedly reported that the barrel of the stainless steel 10 ML-II muzzleloader exploded, burst, split or cracked, according to thousands of court documents reviewed by The Associated Press.

Lawyers for the company, Westfield, Massachusetts-based Savage Arms, were expected to appear Wednesday in federal court in Iowa to defend against a lawsuit filed by Hansen. He is seeking damages for his injuries, alleging the company failed to warn customers about the defect.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Gun maker’s exploding rifle leaves trail of injured hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:03:10 pm »
Maker is Savage and this guy contends its due too poor quality metal used in the firearm.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:09:57 pm »
Jeez. sounds like he was lucky not to have had worse injuries than he did.

I'm not very familiar with blackpowder guns.  I'm going to assume that this one in particular had more injuries associated with it than others of similar use.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:11 pm »
And the gun lobby prevented the Consumer Product Safety Commission from having any jurisdiction over firearms, so Savage can act rather cavalierly.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:17:19 am »
What a weird headline. "Gun-maker's rifle'

What type of rifle would not be a 'Gun-maker's rifle'?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Forum member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 01:54:33 am »
It's a muzzle loader technically. It uses smokeless powder, a shotgun primer, and saboted or belted bullets.

I shoot a 54 flinchlock with 1 in 66" roundball twist. Now there's a muzzle odor.