Author Topic: Those Weird Noises You Make In Your Sleep Might Not Be Snores  (Read 508 times)

rangerrebew

Those Weird Noises You Make In Your Sleep Might Not Be Snores
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »
Those Weird Noises You Make In Your Sleep Might Not Be Snores
Find out what sleep groaning really means
By Cassie Shortsleeve for MensHealth.com December 4, 2017

There’s a long list of weird things that can happen when you sleep—think sleepwalking, sleep sex, or even waking up unable to move your body. But as for the noises you make, those are pretty normal, right?

Well, not all the sounds you make when you sleep are regular old snoring. In fact, there’s a condition called catathrenia, or sleep groaning, which is more common than you may think. While research suggests sleep groaning is rare— affecting 0.3 to 0.5% of the population—it’s likely the number is higher, since the condition often goes under-reported, says Rajkumar Dasgupta, MD, an assistant professor of clinical medicine at the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California.

https://www.prevention.com/health/what-is-sleep-groaning

Offline Applewood

Re: Those Weird Noises You Make In Your Sleep Might Not Be Snores
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
My cat groans in his sleep.  He was a stray and I used to think he was having a nightmare about some abuse he experienced in the past.  I usually wake him up, he rolls over, goes back to sleep and is usually quiet for the remainder of the night.