Author Topic: America’s first bullet train is already a failure and it hasn’t even been built (Texas)  (Read 488 times)

Online thackney

Can't go too much in the way of old school if one wishes a streamlined speedy train.  Aerodynamics still have to be considered to get that 200mph

I was thinking more about the requirements of the cow catcher at the front of the train.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online RoosGirl

The wandering topic has made this old joke germane to the conversation:

In an issue of Meat & Poultry magazine, editors quoted from “Feathers,” the publication of the California Poultry Industry Federation, telling the following story:

The US Federal Aviation Administration has a unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane’s windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies.

The theory is that if the windshield doesn’t crack from the carcass impact, it’ll survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

It seems the British were very interested in this and wanted to test a windshield on a brand new, speedy locomotive they’re developing.

They borrowed FAA’s chicken launcher, loaded the chicken and fired.

The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, broke the engineer’s chair and embedded itself in the back wall of the engine’s cab. The British were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

The FAA reviewed the test thoroughly and had one recommendation:

“Use a thawed chicken.”

Hah, my Materials professor would tell that joke over and over again, but he used jet turbines and not windshields.
Truth has to be repeated constantly, because Error also is being preached all the time, and not just by a few, but by the multitude. In the Press and Encyclopaedias, in Schools and Universities, everywhere Error holds sway, feeling happy and comfortable in the knowledge of having Majority on its side.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Online dfwgator

It seems that everyone is, at least thus far, ignoring the elephant in the room.  How much currently taxable land would have to be condemned and removed from the tax rolls for this project to proceed?

Bart: Mongo, why would Hedley Lamarr care about where the choo-choo goes?
Mongo: Don't know. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! It's what's for dinner!
  • International Cracker of Wise
Hah, my Materials professor would tell that joke over and over again, but he used jet turbines and not windshields.

There was a segment on Mythbusters, but I forgot how it went.  Their experiments are often very poorly designed, and I think this was one of the worst (I'm sure as an Engineer you appreciate this).  I don't think they even used a windshield from a jet aircraft for the experiment.

I seem to recall the chicken penetrated the screen, whether thawed or frozen, and it was because they were using the windshield off a Cessna.  Idiots.  It's not supposed to protect from something moving several hundred MPH.
Thanks to Cripplecreek and Oceander for the medal! 
From Member DB:  Once you've allowed yourself to be sold, all that remains is for how much.

Online RoosGirl

There was a segment on Mythbusters, but I forgot how it went.  Their experiments are often very poorly designed, and I think this was one of the worst (I'm sure as an Engineer you appreciate this).  I don't think they even used a windshield from a jet aircraft for the experiment.

I seem to recall the chicken penetrated the screen, whether thawed or frozen, and it was because they were using the windshield off a Cessna.  Idiots.  It's not supposed to protect from something moving several hundred MPH.

Yeah, those two guys were FOS, but they had a fun job. :)
Truth has to be repeated constantly, because Error also is being preached all the time, and not just by a few, but by the multitude. In the Press and Encyclopaedias, in Schools and Universities, everywhere Error holds sway, feeling happy and comfortable in the knowledge of having Majority on its side.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf