Author Topic: Teenage brains can’t tell what’s important and what isn’t  (Read 784 times)

rangerrebew

28 November 2017
Teenage brains can’t tell what’s important and what isn’t

By Jessica Hamzelou

Teenagers may know full well how important final exams are – but that won’t stop some putting in minimal effort. This may be because their brains aren’t developed enough to properly assess how high the stakes are, and adapt their behaviour accordingly.

Adults are generally pretty good at being able to tell when a situation is worthy of extra time or concentration. Research has found that, when potential rewards or losses are higher, for example, adults will perform better on tasks. But this doesn’t seem to be the case for adolescents.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2154884-teenage-brains-cant-tell-whats-important-and-what-isnt/

Offline DB

This is why it is important that kids experience failure, consequences for their lack of action, instead of participation trophies.

People have to learn how to apply themselves in order to be successful. It doesn't just fall from the sky due to being special...

Government teachers have substantially damaged at least a generation of people just on that one theory...

Offline ConstitutionRose

This is why it is important that kids experience failure, consequences for their lack of action, instead of participation trophies.

People have to learn how to apply themselves in order to be successful. It doesn't just fall from the sky due to being special...

Government teachers have substantially damaged at least a generation of people just on that one theory...
:amen:

And parents who never let a kid make a decision for fear they'll make the wrong.  Kid ends up with no skills in decision making.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Spend enough time around Teenagers and you'll come to discover they are brain dead.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."