Author Topic: Judge bars Starbucks from closing 77 failing Teavana stores  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Judge bars Starbucks from closing 77 failing Teavana stores
« on: December 03, 2017, 05:02:20 pm »
Judge bars Starbucks from closing 77 failing Teavana stores
NY Post, Dec 1, 2017, Lisa Fickenscher

An Indiana judge has taken an unusual step and temporarily barred Starbucks from closing 77 failing Teavana stores in Simon Property Group malls because the real estate giant was less able to handle the financial pain.

Starbucks said in July it planned to shutter its 379-store Teavana operation — but Simon rushed to court to block 77 stores in its malls from going dark — claiming such a move by a high-profile tenant could spark other stores in its malls to close.

Welch, in a 55-page order, found that the very profitable Starbucks could absorb the financial hit — estimated by Starbucks to be $15 million over five months — better than Simon could. The mall operator did not provide an estimate of how much the closings of the Teavana stores would hurt them.

More: https://nypost.com/2017/12/01/judge-bars-starbucks-from-closing-77-failing-teavana-stores/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Judge bars Starbucks from closing 77 failing Teavana stores
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 05:03:49 pm »
 :wtf!:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 05:09:28 pm »
So now we have judges making business decisions for private business concerns!   :thud:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 06:28:30 pm »
 OMGGGGGGG

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 06:40:49 pm »

Have you forgotten "You didn't build that" so no you can't close it either. The Marxist conquest
of the USA is almost complete.

But Starbucks is a big lefty operation so screw them. No mercy for them what so ever. They
should be forced to open a store in every getto in the country and made to hire locally. Force
them to Starbuck every run down mall everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:41:37 pm by jpsb »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:48:03 pm »
Have you forgotten "You didn't build that" so no you can't close it either. The Marxist conquest
of the USA is almost complete.

But Starbucks is a big lefty operation so screw them. No mercy for them what so ever. They
should be forced to open a store in every getto in the country and made to hire locally. Force
them to Starbuck every run down mall everywhere.

Sorry but no!  Hell no in fact!  If we allow this kind of sh*t to happen to those we don't like how do we stop them for doing it to those they don't like?  Just NO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:54:53 pm »
Waiting for our resident Leftist to arrive to tell us all that the Judge is correct and it's SELFISH for a giant corporation to close stores and thus 'harm' those dependent upon them for income.

The fact a Judge can tell people what to make and whom they must make it for AND that they cannot close stores that are failing or fire bad employees is indeed a marker of just how Soviet we have become.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline jpsb

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 07:06:52 pm »
Waiting for our resident Leftist to arrive to tell us all that the Judge is correct and it's SELFISH for a giant corporation to close stores and thus 'harm' those dependent upon them for income.

The fact a Judge can tell people what to make and whom they must make it for AND that they cannot close stores that are failing or fire bad employees is indeed a marker of just how Soviet we have become.

Don't they do that already in France? I think it is funny that a big lefty org like Starbucks is
finally taking it in the shorts. Is it right? Of course not, but if it's nice that it's Starbucks that's
getting screwed.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:23:19 pm »
Pretty much predicted in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", with Directive 10-289.
Let it burn.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 07:26:54 pm »
OMGGGGGGG
:wtf!:

What the hell is the World coming to.  This is pure communism, plain and simple
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:18:28 pm by WineNot »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »
Pretty much predicted in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", with Directive 10-289.
Covered in Point Two, therein:

"Point Two. All industrial, commercial, manufacturing and business establishments of any nature whatsoever shall henceforth remain in operation, and the owners of such establishments shall not quit nor leave nor retire, nor close, sell or transfer their business, under penalty of the nationalization of their establishment and of any and all of their property. "
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:18:06 pm »
All industrial, commercial, manufacturing and business establishments of any nature whatsoever shall henceforth remain in operation, and the owners of such establishments shall not quit nor leave nor retire, nor close, sell or transfer their business, under penalty of the nationalization of their establishment and of any and all of their property. "

Yup.  We're almost there.

Next big giant financial crisis after the bubble pops - and you betcha the the above becomes a reality in some form.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 08:25:47 pm »
Sorry but no!  Hell no in fact!  If we allow this kind of sh*t to happen to those we don't like how do we stop them for doing it to those they don't like?  Just NO!

**nononono*
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:06 pm »
If a shitty tea shop no one shops is keeping your real estate empire afloat, you have bigger problems then you think.

BTW this will be overturned in a second. No way a judge can do this.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 08:55:47 pm »
Simon is the nation's largest shopping center owner, btw.

So their ability to financially absorb Teavana closures would be second to none.

The court which made the ruling is based in Indiana, like Simon.

In my local area, Starbucks has opened and closed many locations.

Teavana is a failed business concept, of placing the Tea business in a separate storefront, instead of merely a separate branded product in Starbucks stores.

I could have this wrong, but I just took a quick look-see at this.

It looks to me like simon is going after Starbucks since they have deep pockets.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 11:39:13 pm »
This is the same judge that decided that IBM owes a lot of money because its welfare was not automated.  Leftist judge.
STATE OF INDIANA AWARDED $128 MILLION IN IBM CASE
http://www.btlaw.com/STATE-State-of-Indiana-Awarded-128-Million-in-IBM-Case-08-07-2017/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 01:59:16 am »
Where in the Hell is Teavana that they have 379 Starbucks?  What kind of place is this?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:39 am »
Perhaps you all should have read the article.  There is, apparently, a "continuous operations covenant" contained in the leases that Teavana signed, and the judge was merely enforcing that covenant.

So, this isn't a case of a judge just making it up out of whole cloth, but one who is enforcing a contractual obligation the parties voluntarily agreed to.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 02:47:04 am »
Perhaps you all should have read the article.  There is, apparently, a "continuous operations covenant" contained in the leases that Teavana signed, and the judge was merely enforcing that covenant.

So, this isn't a case of a judge just making it up out of whole cloth, but one who is enforcing a contractual obligation the parties voluntarily agreed to.

I had to look up "Teavana" and it appears they are a tea company wholly owned by Starbucks since 12/31/12.  I wonder if that complicates anything?  Who is this entity with whom Starbucks has a contractual obligation?  Itself?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 02:55:49 am »
I had to look up "Teavana" and it appears they are a tea company wholly owned by Starbucks since 12/31/12.  I wonder if that complicates anything?  Who is this entity with whom Starbucks has a contractual obligation?  Itself?

Uhh, with the mall owner.  It's in the lease.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 02:57:16 am »
Perhaps you all should have read the article. 

Heresy.  Stone him now before he spreads more of his nonsense.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 03:05:05 am »
Uhh, with the mall owner.  It's in the lease.

Works for me.  Starbucks just learned a valuable lesson, as will the mall owner.
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 08:16:18 am »

The article stated (even in the headline) that the Teavana stores were failing.  These are also not anchor stores whereby other businesses are dependent on the existence of them.  Sears has gone dark in multiple hundreds of malls.  Should this judge tell Sears they have to continue operating in those locations when they are on the verge of bankruptcy?

How does a judge mandate a failing business continue to operate, even when it has a 'covenant' - when economic and business climates change and are not static? 

There's a blood and turnip thing going on with this ruling.

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 05:56:06 pm »
Covered in Point Two, therein:

"Point Two. All industrial, commercial, manufacturing and business establishments of any nature whatsoever shall henceforth remain in operation, and the owners of such establishments shall not quit nor leave nor retire, nor close, sell or transfer their business, under penalty of the nationalization of their establishment and of any and all of their property. "

Also known as "Venezuela".
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 06:01:14 pm »
Also known as "Venezuela".

FWIW, you can't use Venezuela as an example of failure anymore.  They just totally fixed all of their problems.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-03/petro-venezuelas-maduro-announce-launch-first-government-backed-cryptocurrency
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.