Author Topic: The Army is testing its new 'Super Soldier' exoskeleton  (Read 487 times)

rangerrebew

The Army is testing its new 'Super Soldier' exoskeleton
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:18:40 am »
The Army is testing its new 'Super Soldier' exoskeleton
Kris Osborn Warrior Scout Nov. 30, 09:11 AM

The Army is testing an exoskeleton technology which uses AI to analyze and replicate individual walk patterns, provide additional torque, power, and mobility for combat infantry, and enable heavier load-carrying, industry officials said.

Army evaluators have been assessing a Lockheed-built FORTIS knee-stress-release-device exoskeleton with soldiers at Fort A.P. Hill as part of a focus on fielding new performance-enhancing soldier technologies.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/gear-tech/the-army-is-testing-its-new-super-soldier-exoskeleton

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: The Army is testing its new 'Super Soldier' exoskeleton
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:05:34 pm »
The only thing “new” is the technology. The Army has been “working” on exoskeletons at the Natick labs since the 80s and has yet to produce anything. It all sounds good and is probably practical, but is never accepted as something the soldiers want by Army leadership. There in lies the problem. Generals 30 to 35 years out of touch with what soldiers think making decisions in the bowels of the Pentagon.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:34:56 pm »
My son did some testing of an exoskeleton while he was in the Army (after 9/11).  He was excited about it, but nothing seems to come of the work.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:21 pm »
My son did some testing of an exoskeleton while he was in the Army (after 9/11).  He was excited about it, but nothing seems to come of the work.
I saw it myself in the early 90s. As I said, soldiers doing the heavy lifting like it, but the Colonels and Generals who sit behind a conference table in the Pentagon rule it out over more sexy tanks, helicopters and rocket toys.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy