Author Topic: Is It a Cold, the Flu, or Pneumonia?  (Read 663 times)

rangerrebew

Is It a Cold, the Flu, or Pneumonia?
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:34:31 am »
Is It a Cold, the Flu, or Pneumonia?
It can be tough to tell the difference between a common cold and something more serious.
By Diana Rodriguez

When your head is pounding, your nose is stuffed, and you can't stop coughing and sneezing, you might not care what you have — you just want relief.

But it's important to know that a cold, the flu, and pneumonia can all cause those symptoms.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-flu/could-it-be-pneumonia.aspx

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Re: Is It a Cold, the Flu, or Pneumonia?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 03:06:23 am »
But it's important to know that a cold, the flu, and pneumonia can all cause those symptoms.

They failed to mention allergy attacks.

I don’t know exactly what I am allergic to, but my allergy attacks typically occur in the late fall and early winter months but only once, twice or up to perhaps three or four times a year at the very most. And in fact I got one on Thanksgiving Day.

Some people’s opinions and my research tends toward it being a leaf mold, mold, wood mildew, dust or dust mite allergy, but I don’t suffer enough or often enough to want to go through getting the allergy testing. And I have a problem taking many OTC cold and allergy meds – they make me drowsy at first but then I get very hyper and I also have to be careful what I take because I have HBP, so I usually just suffer through.

But the thing is that when I get an allergy attack, it feels just like I’m coming down with a very bad cold or the flu, but more like the flu as it comes on very suddenly – it “hit’s fast”.

It starts at first with an itchy nose and then a very stuffy nose and then watery and red and burning eyes and then very quickly goes into severe bouts of sneezing, but that’s expected in most allergies. But I guess all the sneezing and the post nasal drip makes my throat very raw and sore and often causes me a lot of coughing and sometimes wheezing, a lot of throat phlegm…yuck!

And I also get pretty severe body aches, sometimes with a headache and the feeling that even my skin and hair hurts, and I feel very tired and “out of sorts”, just like one gets when coming down with the flu. I often feel very hot and flushed but with severe chills at the same time. I also get extremely thirsty like I’m dehydrated but lose all my appetite to want to eat anything.

If I take my temperature, I may not have a fever even though I feel like I have one and my skin especially on my face is quite hot to the touch or sometimes I will have a very low grade fever.  But it doesn’t matter as by then, all I want to do is crawl into bed.

On Thanksgiving Day as I was leaving my niece’s house, my SIL gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and told me I was hot, like I was burning up with fever. My niece touched my cheek and forehead and concurred.

I went home and went to straight to bed. But the next morning, aside from a very slight stuffiness that went away as the morning progressed, I felt fine – all my symptoms went away.

The only way I can tell that is not the flu but an allergy attack is that just as suddenly as it comes on, it goes away just that quickly.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 03:12:44 am »
I lean more to the allergy induced viral bronchitis caused by the dry air when the heat is first turned on in the winter.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:24:52 pm »
I lean more to the allergy induced viral bronchitis caused by the dry air when the heat is first turned on in the winter.

Nope. First of all, it is nothing like bronchitis, (and I’ve had that before and pneumonia once) in that I don’t get any chest congestion, this is all upper respiratory – mostly nose and throat.  I also do not think it is a virus because it goes away so quickly. A couple of years ago I did have a bad viral upper respiratory and sinus infection and while a lot of the symptoms were similar except for running a fever with the virus, the viral infection lasted several weeks.

I do think it has to do with the dry air and could be related to indoor heating.  But that would be consistent with a dust or dust mite allergy.  Then again I would think I could easily correlate it with when I first turn on the heat. When I turn on the heat for the first time when it gets cold, I would think I would get an allergy attack right away.  I don’t.

All I know is I get as sick as a dog and it lays me low, pretty much out of commission. If it goes away completely after 24 hours, I then know it’s an allergy attack, if it goes on beyond that and I also get chest congestion and green or yellow nasal or chest mucus, it is either a bad cold or a flu. 

Anyway I just thought it would be interesting to point out how similar an allergy can be to a cold or flu.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause