Author Topic: Earthworms Reproduce in Simulated Mars Soil—a First  (Read 959 times)

Offline Suppressed

Earthworms Reproduce in Simulated Mars Soil—a First
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »
Earthworms Reproduce in Simulated Mars Soil—a First
Scientists hope that common earthworms could one day be used to help humans grow crops on the red planet.
By Sarah Gibbens
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 28, 2017
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/mars-soil-earthworm-agriculture-science-spd/

NASA's simulated Mars soil and earthworms were used to grow arugula in this Dutch lab.
PHOTOGRAPH BY WIEGER WAMELINK

A number of conditions make Earth hospitable for life as we know it, and one of them is the soil in which we grow our food. It's full of a complicated mix of nutrients, bacteria, and fungi that allow plants to grow. By contrast, soil on Mars has been found to be sterile and full of potentially toxic compounds.

As humans race toward the red planet, how to live and eat once there will be a major hurdle. Scientists think it's possible to sustainably grow crops on Mars, but to do this, they'll need to modify the planet's dirt. Biologist Wieger Wamelink thinks earthworms may help.

At his Dutch research lab at Wageningen University, two small worms were recently born from a colony living in soil created by NASA to simulate the dirt found on Mars.

[...]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:39:58 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Earthworms Reproduce in Simulated Mars Soil—a First
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »
One of the big problems with all these experiments is that the Martian regolith simulant they use often doesn't have similar amounts of perchlorates as the real Martian regolith does.  Perchlorates are quite toxic and antibiotic.  If they don't include them, the experiments are next to meaningless.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:42:01 pm »
One of the big problems with all these experiments is that the Martian regolith simulant they use often doesn't have similar amounts of perchlorates as the real Martian regolith does.  Perchlorates are quite toxic and antibiotic.  If they don't include them, the experiments are next to meaningless.

Yup!

And perchlorates are difficult to remediate because the chlorine ion is in the center of the tetrahedron, so you can't just strip it away and replace it like is done with many contaminants.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:50:06 pm »

Yeah, they would need to start with something that could metabolize the perchlorates into something a little more life friendly.