Author Topic: Wind power blows past coal in Texas  (Read 1617 times)

Offline thackney

Wind power blows past coal in Texas
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:37:27 pm »
Wind power blows past coal in Texas
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Wind-power-blows-past-coat-in-Texas-12386751.php
November 28, 2017

Wind power, by one important measure, surpassed coal last week to become the second-largest electricity source in Texas, yet another milestone in the state's march toward greater reliance on renewable energy.

When a 155-megawatt wind farm in West Texas began commercial operation this month, it pushed the state's wind power capacity to more than 20,000 megawatts, surpassing 19,800 megawatts of capacity from coal-fired power plants, according to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which oversees 90 percent of the state's grid. One megawatt is enough to power 200 homes on a hot Texas day.

While ERCOT still gets most of its power from natural gas and coal, wind power generation now accounts for 15 percent of the power mix — up from just 2 percent a decade ago.

The imminent shutdown of three coal-fired power plants owned by Dallas-based Vistra Energy and the loss of their 4,000 megawatts of capacity will further tip the scales in wind's favor, said Joshua Rhodes, a research fellow at the University of Texas' Energy Institute in Austin. In October, Vistra announced the pending shutdowns of its Monticello, Big Brown and Sandow coal plants, triggering the loss of more than 800 jobs and the closure of two coal mines. The shutdown of the Vistra plants are the first retirements of coal-fired power plants since Texas deregulated power markets in 2002.

"We are used to seeing wind numbers add, add, add," Rhodes said. "We are not used to seeing coal plants' numbers decreasing."

Rhodes is already watching for the next milestone — when Texas' wind farms will generate more power than its coal plants. Based on models of ERCOT, Rhodes expects that switch to happen in 2019. ERCOT, meanwhile, is looking to transform the way it predicts surges in wind — a mercurial power source in West Texas, where winds blow strongest at night when power demand is lowest, sometimes producing so much electricity that they drive wholesale prices to zero....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Wind power blows past coal in Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:03:34 am »
I know this sounds repetitive to say, but first time readers here must be aware that when one talks about CAPACITY, it is not ACTUAL electricity produced.

Wind power is, by its nature, inconsistent power generation compared to gas or coal.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:36:43 am »
I that because Texans are full of gas?

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:13:23 pm »
What will happen to the windmills when the feds finally kill the production subsidy?

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:24:12 am »
I have seen a lot of those windmills when I drive out to Lubbock from Dallas, to see my son.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:40:23 am »
I have seen a lot of those windmills when I drive out to Lubbock from Dallas, to see my son.

Yep.   They are a damned eyesore. 
At least with the oil derricks they are close to the ground.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:25:36 am »
Yep.   They are a damned eyesore. 
At least with the oil derricks they are close to the ground.

Yeah, the coal smoke hangs low with the right conditions, too, unlike those big turbines blocking the sky!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »
Yeah, the coal smoke hangs low with the right conditions, too, unlike those big turbines blocking the sky!

At least coal fired plants do not get subsidies that distort the market.....

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:07:16 pm »
At least coal fired plants do not get subsidies that distort the market.....
Funny isn't it that American-mined coal is evil, but Chinese-produced wind turbines are good?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 02:17:41 pm »
Funny isn't it that American-mined coal is evil, but Chinese-produced wind turbines are good?

Yeah, funny......Only the welfare billionaires are getting rich on this crap.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 05:34:21 pm »
Yeah, funny......Only the welfare billionaires are getting rich on this crap.
If we only start placing them in view of their Malibu mansions will this stop.

Of course, Teddy never wanted them to spoil Martha's vineyard, even though the highest wind speeds are along the Eastern Seaboard and most of the Pacific coast.

I also found this neat graphic when looking for wind maps.
http://hint.fm/wind/