Author Topic: Let's Put an End to the Left's Myths about the Liberal Arts  (Read 1161 times)

Offline endicom

Let's Put an End to the Left's Myths about the Liberal Arts
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:23:03 pm »
American thinker
Teresa Mull
Nov. 28, 2017

The study of the liberal arts is increasingly becoming passé. Schools are encouraged by government grants to infiltrate the classrooms with STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) and computer science instruction, creating a generation of programmable techies who are proficient at clicking but not at thinking.

As a frequent cellphone and computer user, I certainly do appreciate technological advances. What bothers me, however, is that government is involved in persuading schools what to teach and telling students what to study. I’m also disturbed by the consistent naysayers who dismiss studying the humanities as some frivolous, artistic venture that contains about as much value as Kim Kardashian’s views on the Gulf War. As someone who majored in the liberal arts, I can say that’s absolutely not true.

The James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal just published a very interesting piece titled, “Liberal Arts Education Is Not (Necessarily) a Waste of Time.” In the article, George Leef points out, “The liberal arts can be a practical education, but at too many schools there isn’t much education going on in their programs.”

More... http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/11/lets_put_an_end_to_the_lefts_myths_about_the_liberal_arts.html

Offline endicom

Re: Let's Put an End to the Left's Myths about the Liberal Arts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:23:41 pm »
Hmmm...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:18:23 pm »
Unfortunately too many "conservatives" are too stupid to know what liberal arts are. They see the word "lib'rul" and reject it out of hand. These are the same geniuses who reject critical thinking as liberal voodoo.

The worst are those who actually do understand what liberal arts are yet still reject them. I've seen idiots at TOS on multiple occasions speak about what a waste of time it is for someone to learn history, literature, philosophy, or art. Those things can be taught destructively like the left does but rejecting them out of hand is just as stupid and dangerous.

When Thomas Jefferson was reading his copy of the Quran he was studying islamic philosophy to learn how to deal with them more effectively.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »
Unfortunately too many "conservatives" are too stupid to know what liberal arts are. They see the word "lib'rul" and reject it out of hand. These are the same geniuses who reject critical thinking as liberal voodoo.

The worst are those who actually do understand what liberal arts are yet still reject them. I've seen idiots at TOS on multiple occasions speak about what a waste of time it is for someone to learn history, literature, philosophy, or art. Those things can be taught destructively like the left does but rejecting them out of hand is just as stupid and dangerous.

When Thomas Jefferson was reading his copy of the Quran he was studying islamic philosophy to learn how to deal with them more effectively.

A hammer is a tool or a weapon, depending on whose hand it is in. So too with education.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 02:42:28 pm »

A hammer is a tool or a weapon, depending on whose hand it is in. So too with education.

Hillsdale college is a liberal arts school that has produced many of America's finest hammers.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:48:22 pm »
To relive their college days, some people go to reunions or mixers. Liberal Arts grads go to protests because with their degree in Queer Musicology they have time on their hands.  No Job and lots of time because every job they are actually interested in is an unpaid internship.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:14:22 pm »

THANK YOU!!! And very true. This is one of the frustrations I've seen in the dumbing down of the right over the past decade or so. (possibly longer)

Liberal Arts were once called the necessary subjects all free men should know (where the term came from). Classically liberal arts included languages, math, literature, sociology, arts, economics, psychology, and astronomy.  They were the subjects for the betterment of a person and should go hand in hand with the core trade specific subjects.  Liberal arts are not 'basket weaving' or 'feminist studies'.

I usually find those who mock 'liberal arts' are those who don't have formal upper education and have the need to elevate themselves by putting down others.

As for the job market, I've seen those with some very specific subject degrees (out of date Computer Science for example) often have a more difficult time finding employment as time goes on, than those with more 'liberal' degrees such as English and Economics.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:18:46 pm »

:amen: and that tool has been mostly in the wrong hands for a century now!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 03:21:25 pm »
A true, classical liberal arts education may have value. But where in the public university system are you going to find it today? You're talking private college at that point.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 03:21:46 pm »

THANK YOU!!! And very true. This is one of the frustrations I've seen in the dumbing down of the right over the past decade or so. (possibly longer)

Liberal Arts were once called the necessary subjects all free men should know (where the term came from). Classically liberal arts included languages, math, literature, sociology, arts, economics, psychology, and astronomy.  They were the subjects for the betterment of a person and should go hand in hand with the core trade specific subjects.  Liberal arts are not 'basket weaving' or 'feminist studies'.

I usually find those who mock 'liberal arts' are those who don't have formal upper education and have the need to elevate themselves by putting down others.

As for the job market, I've seen those with some very specific subject degrees (out of date Computer Science for example) often have a more difficult time finding employment as time goes on, than those with more 'liberal' degrees such as English and Economics.

Wonder what the ratio of teachers who actually hold liberal arts degrees to those who don't is in public schools these days.  Does anyone know?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 03:51:27 pm »
Wonder what the ratio of teachers who actually hold liberal arts degrees to those who don't is in public schools these days.  Does anyone know?

I think those degrees are in education.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 03:58:38 pm »

Hillsdale college doesn't give stand alone teaching degrees. To get a teaching degree from Hillsdale college requires getting a 4 year degree in something else.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 04:03:22 pm »
Hillsdale college doesn't give stand alone teaching degrees. To get a teaching degree from Hillsdale college requires getting a 4 year degree in something else.

@Cripplecreek

And Hillsdale college is a PRIVATE institution that refuses to take any federal money because doing so would let the feds control what is being taught there like it does everywhere else!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 04:06:09 pm »

@endicom

"Colleges of Education represent the slums of any University!"

Dr. Walter Williams

I think he knows EXACTLY what he is talking about! Colleges of Education are the wet dream of John Dewey and a scourge to this once great republic!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 04:07:55 pm »
@endicom

"Colleges of Education represent the slums of any University!"

Dr. Walter Williams

I think he knows EXACTLY what he is talking about! Colleges of Education are the wet dream of John Dewey and a scourge to this once great republic!

But I think those degrees are required in many places.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 04:15:42 pm »

But I think those degrees are required in many places.

Of course!  Mr. Dewey and his minions covered all the bases didn't they!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 06:09:09 pm »
It really depends on the course of instruction.  In many programs, applied mathematics is a liberal arts degree.  I would venture that any person with a BA in Mathematics should be able to find gainful employment in any state and in most career fields.  However, I doubt anything that ends in "studies" (Women Studies, Latino Studies, African Studies, Race Relation Studies, etc.) has any useful application to the business world.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 06:15:29 pm »
It really depends on the course of instruction.  In many programs, applied mathematics is a liberal arts degree.  I would venture that any person with a BA in Mathematics should be able to find gainful employment in any state and in most career fields.  However, I doubt anything that ends in "studies" (Women Studies, Latino Studies, African Studies, Race Relation Studies, etc.) has any useful application to the business world.

I heartily agree and would add anything that comes from a college of "education" outside of government indoctrination centers!

- J. R. R. Tolkien