Author Topic: The Forgotten History Of ‘Fragging’ In Vietnam (mentions Judge Roy Moore)  (Read 3519 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Forgotten History Of ‘Fragging’ In Vietnam
Senate candidate Roy Moore was reportedly among those officers targeted by their own men.
11/26/2017 09:39 pm ET

Fragging – the murder of officers and sergeants by their own troops – was in the news recently when it was reported that Roy Moore, currently campaigning in Alabama for a U.S. Senate seat, risked being killed by some of his subordinates in Vietnam.

After graduating from West Point in 1969, Moore served in Germany as a lieutenant and then he was promoted to captain and given command of the 188th Military Police Company in Vietnam in 1971. This came during the final years of the war when men who were violent, drug-addled, or disturbed became a significant presence in the Army and Marine Corps, causing a serious breakdown of discipline. In 1971, Colonel Robert D. Heinl wrote in Armed Forces Journal, “Our Army that now remains in Vietnam is in a state approaching collapse, with individual units avoiding or having refused combat, murdering their officers, drug-ridden, and dispirited where not near-mutinous.”

The term “fragging” was derived from the fact that a fragmentation grenade was rolled into the area where an officer or NCO was sleeping. When it exploded, no fingerprints could be found. ...

Read more at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-forgotten-history-of-fragging-in-vietnam_us_5a1b77b6e4b0cee6c050939d?section=us_politics

Offline RoosGirl

One little letter different and Judge Moore would not be electable in Alabama.

Offline Frank Cannon

One little letter different and Judge Moore would not be electable in Alabama.

What letter is that?

Offline RoosGirl

What letter is that?

You know, the R(epublican), silly.

Offline Frank Cannon

You know, the R(epublican), silly.

Oh. That makes sense. I thought you meant the other R in his name. The Moobe family in hated in AL. Apparently they were the ones who tried to stamp out inbreeding in the state 50 years ago.

Offline RoosGirl

Oh. That makes sense. I thought you meant the other R in his name. The Moobe family in hated in AL. Apparently they were the ones who tried to stamp out inbreeding in the state 50 years ago.

Yep, I've heard about them.  In Alabama saying "Your name is Moobe." is the same thing as everywhere else saying "Your name is Mudd."

Offline Frank Cannon

Yep, I've heard about them.  In Alabama saying "Your name is Moobe." is the same thing as everywhere else saying "Your name is Mudd."

Mudd is a bad name? Hell. Wasn't Roger Mudd the most trusted man in news?

Offline RoosGirl

Mudd is a bad name? Hell. Wasn't Roger Mudd the most trusted man in news?

You're thinking of Roger Carmel that played Harry Mudd in the early Star Trek episodes.

Offline Frank Cannon

You're thinking of Roger Carmel that played Harry Mudd in the early Star Trek episodes.

Oh. I see. Pardon my dullness.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Oh. I see. Pardon my dullness.

You lost a lot of your edge when you kicked Paris Hilton out of your avatar, @Frank Cannon .
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You sure do hate Moore, @TomSea.  Article after article, this one scraped up from the bottom of the Huff barrel.  Does Jones hold that much of an appeal to you?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

You sure do hate Moore, @TomSea.  Article after article, this one scraped up from the bottom of the Huff barrel.  Does Jones hold that much of an appeal to you?

What a cheap shot, you can't even name "article after article" against Roy Moore (so this should be seen as an outright lie if not proven), also, must be the lazy way to make arguments, accuse someone of hating someone.  Maybe you are just kidding since so many people do this, it loses its potency to accuse people of such. Also, the article is not "anti-Moore", in fact, it shows what he confronted in SE Asia. Some conservative outfit mentioned this article, I read it and thought it was worth posting.

In fact, it was newsbusters that pointed many to this article: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/pj-gladnick/2017/11/27/pigs-fly-huffpo-publishes-almost-positive-story-about-roy-moore

So you also make premature judgements.

Pigs Fly: HuffPo Publishes Almost Positive Story About Roy Moore
By P.J. Gladnick | November 27, 2017 10:28 PM EST

Do pigs fly? Shockingly, the extremely liberal Huffington Post on Sunday actually published a story involving Republican senate nominee Judge Roy Moore of Alabama that sounded almost positive...or at least not overtly hostile. The reason seems to be that the author, Hamilton Gregory, is a Vietnam veteran and his emphasis was on the practice of fragging during that war. Moore comes into the story mainly because he was under a fragging threat due to his insistence of enforcing discipline upon his troops, many of whom were drug abusers.

The headline was "The Forgotten History Of ‘Fragging’ In Vietnam: Senate candidate Roy Moore was reportedly among those officers targeted by their own men."

@Cyber Liberty

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:46:00 pm by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

You lost a lot of your edge when you kicked Paris Hilton out of your avatar, @Frank Cannon .

You were the one complaining when I replace Rose McGowan with Paris. Now you are complaining about me replacing Paris?

Offline TomSea

The mods should start issuing infractions at people if all they can do is get a gratuitous cheap shot in and accuse people of hating since their arguments are so crappy and intellectually lacking and dishonest.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:09:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline RoosGirl

The mods should start issuing infractions at people if all they can do is get a gratuitous cheap shot in and accuse people of hating since their arguments are so crappy and intellectually lacking.

Listen, everyone would have infractions against them then; probably so many that we'd all lose our posting licenses.

Offline thackney

The mods should start issuing infractions at people if all they can do is get a gratuitous cheap shot in and accuse people of hating since their arguments are so crappy and intellectually lacking and dishonest.

That will be two points off your total score.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

The article also quotes Moore's book and it quotes a Viet Nam veteran. So, people's true colors apparently show through.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You were the one complaining when I replace Rose McGowan with Paris. Now you are complaining about me replacing Paris?

I just didn't know how good I had it.  When I'm wrong about something, I change my mind...
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What a cheap shot, you can't even name "article after article" against Roy Moore (so this should be seen as an outright lie if not proven), also, must be the lazy way to make arguments, accuse someone of hating someone.  Maybe you are just kidding since so many people do this, it loses its potency to accuse people of such. Also, the article is not "anti-Moore", in fact, it shows what he confronted in SE Asia. Some conservative outfit mentioned this article, I read it and thought it was worth posting.

In fact, it was newsbusters that pointed many to this article: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/pj-gladnick/2017/11/27/pigs-fly-huffpo-publishes-almost-positive-story-about-roy-moore

So you also make premature judgements.

@Cyber Liberty

Can't name "article after article," your posting history doesn't go back far enough to catch the thick of the mess of articles posted on this a week or so ago.

It's obvious where you stand on this, but it's likely you don't llive in 'Bama, neither do I sour our opinions are just wind in sails anyway... :shrug:

As for the cheap shot, well "it's binary" was the standard argument back during the '16 election, so I just thought you'd like a taste.  But you're right, it was a cheap shot, and you have every right to expect better of me, I hope.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

These people who just issue cheap shots should be kicked out because it is not good for the forum, cyber, cannon, aragon and these others. People don't come to be abused, in the meantime, they will be ignored. They are chasing potential new members away.

Offline Frank Cannon

These people who just issue cheap shots should be kicked out because it is not good for the forum, cyber, cannon, aragon and these others. People don't come to be abused, in the meantime, they will be ignored. They are chasing potential new members away.

Thanks Tom. I was starting to become saddened that you were ignoring me. Now I find out that not only do you read my posts but that they brighten your day. That means a lot to me Tom.

Glad to have you as my #1 fan. God Speed.

Offline mirraflake

Back to the article. Was fragging real or more hype than anything?

My WWII uncle fought in heavy fighting in Europe and said there was no fragging that he was ware of. Newly minted officers tended to listen to the experienced troops. New officers trying to be a hero were usually put in their place by the top enlisted men  or just plain ignored, or cussed at and they got the message an other officers usually sided with the enlisted men.

Offline Frank Cannon

Back to the article. Was fragging real or more hype than anything?

My WWII uncle fought in heavy fighting in Europe and said there was no fragging that he was ware of. Newly minted officers tended to listen to the experienced troops. New officers trying to be a hero were usually put in their place by the top enlisted men  or just plain ignored, or cussed at and they got the message an other officers usually sided with the enlisted men.

Fragging was a thing in Vietnam because it was a draft war where malcontents were inducted. Even with that there are no numbers on actual episodes happening. I feel that this may have happened, but was more of a urban legend.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Fragging was a thing in Vietnam because it was a draft war where malcontents were inducted. Even with that there are no numbers on actual episodes happening. I feel that this may have happened, but was more of a urban legend.

I was there and never witnessed anything remotely like fragging occur but that does not at all mean it never occurred.  I'm sure it did and I'm also sure that at least some of those who were on the receiving end richly deserved it.

I did not personally witness the incident but was nearby when a young 2nd lieutenant somehow managed to shoot himsef in the AZZ with an M16.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:45:51 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

The problem is, you think people questioning your opinion is "abuse".  This ain't some milquetoast forum, honey.  You've got to learn to keep up with the big dogs.  And frankly, you give as good as you get.  People that want to participate on a political forum are not delicate flowers.