Author Topic: The Other Thanksgiving Turkey: The FCC’s Stealth Net Neutrality Vote  (Read 859 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-other-thanksgiving-turkey-the-fccs-stealth-net_us_5a1964dfe4b0250a107bff83

“There’s a $3.00 upcharge to read the Huffington Post?! When did they start charging?!” You might ask, indignantly, soon. Then you’ll look more carefully, and realize that it’s your cable/Internet provider that’s charging for this. Don’t worry, though! For $19.99/mo more, you get UNLIMITED access to all of your favorite content on the Web. For $29.99 more you can watch your new TV Apps from CBS, NBC, and ABC. HBO/Showtime? They’re extra on top of their own fees.

While you were shopping for your Thanksgiving dinner, the turkeys at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) were quietly creating another pathway to profit for cable TV, satellite and Internet providers that already make prime dollar providing you access to the Worldwide Web.

Under the laughable “Restoring Internet Freedom” heading, commissioners voted to strip the Obama Administration’s Federal Communications Commission “Net Neutrality” rules that prevent these owners of the on-ramps to the Web to charge tariffs against specific sites or types of content.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
When Mr. Obama couldn't get congress to act and protect the American consumer from the evil Internet providers he took it upon himself to act with an Executive Order.  Law making by EO is not a sustainable strategy and was one of is few flaws as President.

Personally the internet has functioned very nicely with little regulation over the years.  Sadly since it is not broken, I am Positive congress where to act they will break it. It is how they roll.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
We'll see what happens. It is a dogfight between two 500 lb gorillas.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley