Author Topic: Errors after new reinstall of forum software - 11/26/2017  (Read 6679 times)

Offline jpsb

Re: Errors after new reinstall of forum software - 11/26/2017
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2017, 02:01:20 am »
It's a little easier with SMF - if I hadn't gotten lazy about it.  Here's how:
(1) put the forum into maintenance mode so the database server is not accessible from outside;
(2) make a copy of the entire file directory (not the database, just the files, like the php scripts);
(3) execute the update/upgrade package;
(4) if it works, great - keep the old copy as a safety backup just in case;
(5) if it doesn't work, no sweat - delete the corrupted file structure, and copy the file directory from step (1) back into it.

I've never had a problem with an SMF-approved update/upgrade not working, so I got lazy and forgot to copy things.

It's basically mostly my fault.

Understandable, one thing I learned at NASA, never throw anything away until you have
made a copy of it. If you don't have the luxury of having two (or more) servers to "play"
with things can get tuff when updating. Another thing I learned (not at NASA, NASA made
us update) was never ever update until you absolutely had to.

Oceander

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2017, 02:08:11 am »
Yes. They show up fine inthread for me too (where the title is present)

They are showing up ascii only in mentions, and only on old mentions to untitled posts, where the untitled posts retain the old title in mentions.

New posts on that thread (that have the new title) show up in mentions under the new title.

So I see BOTH the new and the old title in mentions - and it is the old title that is spitting ascii

Ahhh, so it's in the mentions.  Try clearing your mentions.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2017, 02:58:57 am »
There is a problem with embedded videos.  You can still do them by dropping the "S" from "https\\", but if somebody quotes you, they get this:

! No longer available
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2017, 03:00:35 am »
There is a problem with embedded videos.  You can still do them by dropping the "S" from "https\\", but if somebody quotes you, they get this:

Right now it's set so AEVA doesn't embed videos in quotations.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2017, 03:02:57 am »
Right now it's set so AEVA doesn't embed videos in quotations.

It's still embedded, but as a link.  Click that thing in the quote from Corbe, and it takes you to the Youtube link he embedded in his post.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2017, 03:14:39 am »
It's still embedded, but as a link.  Click that thing in the quote from Corbe, and it takes you to the Youtube link he embedded in his post.

Now it will embed as a video.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2017, 03:18:34 am »
Now it will embed as a video.

Yup!  I see that. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline endicom

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2017, 03:38:04 am »

(1) put the forum into maintenance mode so the database server is not accessible from outside;

Yesterday, at about 9:40 PM, I checked in and it was prompting me to proceed in updating. I did not proceed to see what would happen for fear of disturbing the process. Before that time the message was that it was in maintenance mode.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2017, 03:43:02 am »

Yesterday, at about 9:40 PM, I checked in and it was prompting me to proceed in updating. I did not proceed to see what would happen for fear of disturbing the process. Before that time the message was that it was in maintenance mode.

I saw that too.  Could ANYBODY push the button?

! No longer available
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2017, 03:48:55 am »

Yesterday I was putting it back together the old-fashioned way:  creating a fresh installation in a new document root, and then connecting the existing database to the new installation.  I had to create and delete several document roots, so I didn't use .htaccess to limit access to the server itself to just myself because I would have had to add the new .htaccess each time I recreated the new installation.

Offline endicom

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2017, 04:03:26 am »
Yesterday I was putting it back together the old-fashioned way:  creating a fresh installation in a new document root, and then connecting the existing database to the new installation.  I had to create and delete several document roots, so I didn't use .htaccess to limit access to the server itself to just myself because I would have had to add the new .htaccess each time I recreated the new installation.

That's a bit unsettling. What would have happened if someone had gone forward with the process?

@Cyber Liberty

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2017, 04:05:28 am »

I don't see a problem with that, as long as it ignores the mouseUp commands that come in from the internet.  If people like me can come along and push it while you're working, I see an issue (see Ren and Stimpy cartoon above).
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 04:07:05 am »
That's a bit unsettling. What would have happened if someone had gone forward with the process?

@Cyber Liberty

A bum install that I would just delete and then start over.  I actually had to start over about five or six times (tried the newest version, 2.0.15, then twice with 2.0.14, then had to do 2.0.13 several times before getting one that worked and I liked).

It's one of the good design aspects of SMF - the database is strictly separate from the scripts that run to process the data and display it - so one can actually move the database from installation to installation just by giving the installation the correct access to the database in question.  Just make sure you don't have two (or more) installations trying to access the same database at the same time - then you get errors!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:10:00 am by Oceander »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 04:07:18 am »

@Cyber Liberty

What?  Me???  Well, actually, I did wonder what would have happened if I had hit the Proceed button.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 04:10:23 am »
What?  Me???  Well, actually, I did wonder what would have happened if I had hit the Proceed button.

Just a little wasted time.  See above.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2017, 04:14:43 am »
Just a little wasted time.  See above.

But I envisioned the one I posted above, with Ren and Stimpy.   :laugh:
I will NOT comply.

Offline endicom

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2017, 04:21:03 am »
A bum install that I would just delete and then start over.  I actually had to start over about five or six times (tried the newest version, 2.0.15, then twice with 2.0.14, then had to do 2.0.13 several times before getting one that worked and I liked).

It's one of the good design aspects of SMF - the database is strictly separate from the scripts that run to process the data and display it - so one can actually move the database from installation to installation just by giving the installation the correct access to the database in question.  Just make sure you don't have two (or more) installations trying to access the same database at the same time - then you get errors!

Okay. That wouldn't be good but it wouldn't foo the bar.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2017, 04:35:23 am »
Okay. That wouldn't be good but it wouldn't foo the bar.

I think it could.  I deal with databases every day, and performing a copy on a hot database (one in the process of being written to) will certainly foo the bar.  I've done it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2017, 08:42:59 am »
Posts (content) missing from three psots on 11/24 on this thread. Last surviving post was on 11/23:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,292274.msg1523424/topicseen.html#new

As of this post I can see a full set of (regular) smileys :beer: in preview, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2017, 01:31:06 pm »
Tried to reply to one of the Roy Moore threads (Pastor says Roy Moore was seeking the 'purity of a young woman') and got this:

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
No subject was filled in.

Thread title missing from posts throughout the thread.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,292197.50.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:31:46 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2017, 02:14:11 pm »
Tried to reply to one of the Roy Moore threads (Pastor says Roy Moore was seeking the 'purity of a young woman') and got this: Thread title missing from posts throughout the thread.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,292197.50.html

What if you paste in that title in your reply?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2017, 02:16:07 pm »
So, Were these forced, or unforced errors?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2017, 03:01:42 pm »
What if you paste in that title in your reply?
I did and that worked (and was quoteable, with the title in place).

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2017, 05:29:56 pm »
I think it could.  I deal with databases every day, and performing a copy on a hot database (one in the process of being written to) will certainly foo the bar.  I've done it.

True enough, but in this case the installation that had database access was corrupted and therefore couldn’t be used to access the database, and the new installation wouldn’t have access to the database at all until I changed the settings in the relevant php script, at which point the change would for all practical purposes be instantaneous. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2017, 05:44:24 pm »
True enough, but in this case the installation that had database access was corrupted and therefore couldn’t be used to access the database, and the new installation wouldn’t have access to the database at all until I changed the settings in the relevant php script, at which point the change would for all practical purposes be instantaneous.

Makes sense.  From what I saw of your description of the process, there's no way you had a hot database.
I will NOT comply.