Author Topic: Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'  (Read 663 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'
NY Daily News, Nov 23, 2017

In “Roman J. Israel, Esq.” Denzel Washington plays an idealistic defense attorney whose beliefs are tested when he joins a new law firm.

The Oscar winner says making the film did not make him more cynical about the justice system and, when asked about the prison-industrial complex, the “Malcolm X” star offered a surprising take.

“It starts at the home,” he told reporters at the film’s downtown New York premiere. “It starts at home.”

When prodded to expand on his answer, the 62-year-old Mount Vernon native replied: “It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure.  “So you know I can’t blame the system,” he continued. “It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them.”

Read more:  http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/denzel-washington-don-blame-prison-system-article-1.3653432

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:48:03 pm »
It is revealing that the interviewer said it was 'surprising' that Denzel would say 'it starts in the home'.

Obvious bias on the writer's part as he must have been expecting all of that white privilege or BLM crap from Denzel.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:49:14 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mountaineer

Re: Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the home'
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 02:06:54 pm »
African-American co-workers have said the exact same thing to me, namely, that if you don't discipline your children and teach them the right way to act, they'll misbehave. They also said they were glad their parents swatted their behinds when appropriate.

I guess that attitude would surprise the Daily News writer, too.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org