Author Topic: Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says  (Read 1152 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:35:41 pm »
Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says
- Mike Hughes, California rocket man

Mike Hughes is shown with his steam-powered rocket constructed out of salvage parts. He plans to launch it Saturday.

Mike Hughes is shown with his steam-powered rocket constructed out of salvage parts. He plans to launch it Saturday.  (Associated Press)

A California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a home-built rocket to prove that astronauts faked the shape of the Earth.

Mike Hughes, a 61-year-old limo driver, said his stunt will be the first phase of the flat-Earth space program, sponsored by Research Flat Earth, a group that believes Earth is, well, flat.

The rocket should travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

Continued at: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/23/rocket-launch-will-prove-earth-is-flat-california-man-says.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:36:10 pm by TomSea »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 09:49:29 pm »
Taking off is one thing. Landing another. Maybe he will be able to tell us what is on the other side of flat earth if he sticks the landing.

Maybe not.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »
I've just got to think this is a publicity stunt,  in the picture on the trailer it reads "madmikehughes.com", they can't be serious.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:23:14 pm by TomSea »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:10:20 pm »
This is an odd article.  One place it says he plans to launch himself to 1500 feet.  Then another it says the rocket should reach 1 mile  at a speed of 500 mph.  So, is the mile 1500 feet there and 1500 feet back?  I hope he's not planning on landing at 500 mph.

It’s scary as hell, but none of us are getting out of this world alive.

I think maybe he's going to get out of this world alive, but maybe not make it back.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:46:59 pm »
Some people dare to be different.  And then there are people like this guy. Born different.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:50:13 pm »
Some people dare to be different.  And then there are people like this guy. Born different.

We all die, though.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 11:22:46 pm »
Steam powered - that's another real odd thing here, has to be a publicity stunt.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:38:59 pm »
This is an odd article.  One place it says he plans to launch himself to 1500 feet.  Then another it says the rocket should reach 1 mile  at a speed of 500 mph.  So, is the mile 1500 feet there and 1500 feet back?  I hope he's not planning on landing at 500 mph.

I think maybe he's going to get out of this world alive, but maybe not make it back.

This town I live in is listed as being at 4,633 ft. elevation. The hill behind moms house is 10,339 ft. I've sat on top of that peak a large number of times. The earth don't look flat from up there.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 01:54:04 am »
If you want some entertainment visit the Flat Earth Forum. Fun reading the chat. Especially when flat earth skeptics (99.9%) of us, try logic on them. Nothing convinces them. If this guy gets his rocket up to altitude to see the curvature of the earth, they would claim it was a projected on the phony sky they claim exist.   You see the stars are fake some claim.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 02:50:41 am »
If you want some entertainment visit the Flat Earth Forum. Fun reading the chat. Especially when flat earth skeptics (99.9%) of us, try logic on them. Nothing convinces them. If this guy gets his rocket up to altitude to see the curvature of the earth, they would claim it was a projected on the phony sky they claim exist.   You see the stars are fake some claim.

I used to think the Flat Earth Society was a joke and the members were in on the joke. But no, it isn’t.

I tangled with a couple of flat earthers on TOS. They are far beyond any rational thought.

My nephew has a friend who is a flat earther along with believing just about every wacky conspiracy theory out there. My nephew tries to reason with him but he’s hopeless.  When my nephew asked him about the curvature of the Earth being visible when flying in a jet plane, the guy claimed that it was an optical illusion caused by the type of glass used in the planes, possibly on purpose to cover up the “truth”.

Besides..

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 03:19:51 am »
If he’s not careful, gravity will prove man is flat.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 04:51:41 am »
One thing common among flat earthers is they are believers in all the most popular conspiracies involving secret societies controlling us all. Most of their recruits come from one of these conspiracy groups, like the illuminati, freemasons, secret base on the dark side of the moon, and others.

Also their believe in a flat earth is more than just the shape of the planet- much more. Many believe the Flat Earth is covered by a dome that displays an artificial sky including clouds, stars and planets all created to fool us. OTHERS believe the Flat Earth is the center of the universe and the stars and the sun revolve around us,  Crazy stuff
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:36:08 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 07:18:24 am »
We all die, though.

Yeah... Just not that many strapped to a giant lawn dart.  :shrug:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 12:37:03 pm »
The ultimate "Hold muh Beer" Stunt.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 01:25:28 pm »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 02:36:12 pm »
I don't get it.

Most of us treated the whole flat-Earth thing as a joke up until a couple years ago. Now we've even  got celebrities trying to pull this nonsense on us. Couple this with the whole trans phenomenon and we've basically declared war on reality.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 03:38:15 pm »
I don't get it.

Most of us treated the whole flat-Earth thing as a joke up until a couple years ago. Now we've even  got celebrities trying to pull this nonsense on us. Couple this with the whole trans phenomenon and we've basically declared war on reality.

That is exactly right. There will be a cure. Virtual reality. Don't fall for it. It is a trick.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 04:20:28 pm »
While I think this guy is just an attention seeking  nut, there are millions of people who readily fall for the most absurd conspiracy theories. Because they want to believe.
There is no point in arguing with them, presenting facts, etc.  They WANT!!! to believe.  Believing in their weird beliefs keeps them going. Any proof that their theories/beliefs are wrong presented to them is just a trick by the authorities/government/huge cabal of rich people. You are the one being hoodwinked by those powerful groups according to The Believers.
The best thing is to just ignore them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:39:33 pm by goatprairie »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 04:56:40 pm »
While I think this guy is just an attention seeking  nut, there are millions of people who readily fall for the most absurd conspiracy theories. Because they want to believe.
There is no point in arguing with them, presenting facts, etc.  They WANT!!! to believe.  Believing in their weird beliefs keeps them going. Any proof that their theories/beliefs are wrong presented to them is just a trick by the authorities/government/huge cabal of rich people. You are the one being hookdwinked by those powerful groups according to The Believers.
The best thing is to just ignore them.

Ignore, as in don't waste our time trying to slap them back into reality, I agree. But we always have to be aware of their presence. Most remain a Harmless conspiracy nut only finding like company on late night radio and conspiracy web sites and truly bother nobody but maybe family members who may call uncle Bill a nut. But a small percentage of them develop a dangerous level of paranoia fed by these conspiracies which could describe the Las Vegas shooter who they say was a conspiracy nut.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 03:17:46 am »
I dunno about the Earth, but this guy is gonna be layin' "flat" after this flight... ;)

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 03:23:38 am »
Just an update, I saw per TOS; he has delayed the flight because it was on federal land (or something like this) but still he insists he will be doing it soon, "in a few days".