Author Topic: ESPN Crumbling After Losing $1 Billion, Facing More Layoffs After Thanksgiving  (Read 688 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
dailycaller
Benny Johnson
Reporter At Large
5:51 PM 11/22/2017

[excerpt]

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/22/espn-crumbling-after-losing-1-billion-facing-more-layoffs-after-thanksgiving/

The sports network, which often masquerades as a political opinion site in the Trump era, is facing major cutbacks again due to budget shortfalls.

According to reports, $80 million in salaries will be cut from the network between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Estimates say between 60 and 100 employees will be let go.

The cuts are certainly due to a nearly $1 billion dollar budget shortfall by the Disney-owned network over the last six years. ESPN has lost over 13 million subscribers in the same time.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline roamer_1

This old redneck adage is in full swing:

"Shut up and sing."

Offline kevindavis007

Four big reasons:

1. People are cutting the cord (ditching cable and satellite services).
2. People are not watching ESPN cause of political reasons
3. There are other sports networks besides ESPN.
4. Too much talking heads on ESPN.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Hoodat

Perhaps ESPN should decide what is more important - making money or playing politics.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Perhaps ESPN should decide what is more important - making money or playing politics.

Leftism is more important to them than 'making money'. They know full well that going Right would be more popular and much more profitable, but they don't care.

They can't bring themselves to believe that anyone could ever think differently than they think. Even if it kills them. They don't care. They are that fanatical.

They are fanatical fanatics, and nothing can get through to them.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

I was totally disgusted with ESPN when they gave Bruce Jenner the "Arthur Ashe Courage Award" over many, many other deserving people.

It still disgusts me. Their definition of courage is not even remotely mine. They've been rotting on the vine ever since.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

My spin is that ESPN believes in representing the athletes of basketball and football, both college and pro,  that they are representing their best interests.

These sports are predominately played by black players.  Blacks in recent elections vote overwhelmingly Democrat, which is tantamount to saying they vote for liberal causes.

The problem ESPN has is that the people who pay the bills are overwhelmingly white, and vote Republican, which is much more conservative.

They may serve their athletes, but not their audience, hence the failure.

Baseball is overwhelmingly non-black athletes, a big difference.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It used to be a distraction. I could watch a game now and then. They need to attract me. They need me. I don't need them.

And then when they went violently racial, and all that political stuff, screw that.

They can play with themselves. I don't need all that crap in my life. I don't want it, I don't need it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline musiclady

"Shut up and sing."

Perfect!  :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
NFL commissioner and owners caved to players, who have brazenly disrespected ESPN's subscribers.

Like playing chicen, with the customer. The customer is always right. ESPN, the commissioner, the players think they are immune to economic laws.

I categorize myself as an ex-fan of Pro football. Not ever going bck, no matter what. Permanent.

There are SOOOOO MANY competing sources of entertainment.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DiogenesLamp

Leftism is more important to them than 'making money'. They know full well that going Right would be more popular and much more profitable, but they don't care.

They can't bring themselves to believe that anyone could ever think differently than they think. Even if it kills them. They don't care. They are that fanatical.

They are fanatical fanatics, and nothing can get through to them.

And the problem is across the entire spectrum of news and entertainment organizations.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

"Shut up and sing."

I know!!

How can ESPN not understand that sports are an escape and an entertainment and nobody wants politics interjected.  Especially by some liberal jerk commentators.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.